Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5419 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
And also to build on top of this, the algorithm of GMATprep is not the same as the real GMAT (though very similar in terms of evaluating your abilities but not as through).

Many believe this was done to prevent reverse engineering.

MBAUncle wrote:
Tarun, the scoring algorithm in PowerPrep is completely different from that of the GmatPrep. I got only one question wrong in Q but the PP gave me only 50.
Although PowerPrep is good for studying in an early phase, its questions no longer represent the current GMAT, which is then more similarly represented by the GmatPrep.

tarun wrote:
My 2 cents observation with Powerprep.

I gave 2 test of powerprep.

Test 1 - Score 690, Q 49, V 34
7 Quant questions were answered incorrectly - 7, 8, 9, 11, 30, 32, 35
13 Verbal questions were answered incorrectly - 3, 9, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 31, 33, 38, 40, 41

Test 2 - Score 690, Q 49, V 34
5 Quant questions were answered incorrectly - 5, 11, 14, 19, 36
8 Verbal questions were answered incorrectly - 1, 6, 11, 13, 19, 29, 34, 38

With less incorrect answers in test 2, I guess I should have scored higher. But then carefully observing the number of incorrect answers till question number 5, 10, 15 and 20, it seems that the score is almost finalized till ques number 20. Accuracy beyond that does not have much impact on the score.

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
bb wrote:
And also to build on top of this, the algorithm of GMATprep is not the same as the real GMAT (though very similar in terms of evaluating your abilities but not as through).

MBAUncle wrote:
Tarun, the scoring algorithm in PowerPrep is completely different from that of the GmatPrep. I got only one question wrong in Q but the PP gave me only 50.
Although PowerPrep is good for studying in an early phase, its questions no longer represent the current GMAT, which is then more similarly represented by the GmatPrep.

tarun wrote:

13 Verbal questions were answered incorrectly - 3, 9, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 31, 33, 38, 40, 41

With less incorrect answers in test 2, I guess I should have scored higher. But then carefully observing the number of incorrect answers till question number 5, 10, 15 and 20, it seems that the score is almost finalized till ques number 20. Accuracy beyond that does not have much impact on the score.

I do agree with this. I m sure real gmat must be penalizing students who do random guesses with delay < 10sec.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
bb wrote:

MBAUncle wrote:

tarun wrote:

Yes, so pretty much approach the real exam the same. Limit guesses. Finish exam. Answer each question as given without trying to "figure out" the exam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: MSA - Generalist
Schools:University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State
 Q46  V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
My experience with GMATPrep Today
780 Q50 V48
On Quant missed 10 (3,5,14,18,19,23,30,32,35,37)
On Verbal missed 1

The last 10 Quant were mainly lucky guesses, when I went back and looked at them again, they seemed much easier than the first few. In fact I am currently researching the correct answer for number 3. I still haven't figured it out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
This thread never ceases even after 2 years.. Unbelievable stuff from bsd_lover and others.. I believe bsd_lover might not be watching this forum anymore.. But still wanna thank him for the experiment :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
sridhar wrote:
This thread never ceases even after 2 years.. Unbelievable stuff from bsd_lover and others.. I believe bsd_lover might not be watching this forum anymore.. But still wanna thank him for the experiment :)

Oh, he is around :)
Last visited about 10 hrs ago: members/member-33822.html
However, he does not get involved in this thread anymore now that it's been a few years...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[*] :cry: :cry: guys,i 've got 36 out of 41 verbal,and only20 out of 37 quants,in powerprep since,am not familiar with inequalities and quadratics as its almost 20years after my schooling,can anyone help me in telling how to tackle this situation at the earliest ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Guys one very good observation...

funda to get 51 on GMAT (atleast tested on GMATPREP) never to get two continuous questions wrong...even with 5-6 overall wrong one can get a score of 51. Same number of mistakes and at same time with only 1 continuous set wrong will lead to 50
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
smartmundu wrote:

funda to get 51 on GMAT (atleast tested on GMATPREP) never to get two continuous questions wrong...even with 5-6 overall wrong one can get a score of 51. Same number of mistakes and at same time with only 1 continuous set wrong will lead to 50

No, I just did GMATPrep #2 (2nd try) and got a Q51 with numbers 28 and 29 wrong (missed 3 out of 37 total). This is the first time I've scored Q51; every other time was Q50.

So far I've found Q50 on my GMAT's every time I get 6-7 quant questions wrong, which is quite a few when you consider that 31/37 is 83.7% correct.

I've done much better on the Verbal parts, even scoring a V51 once (3rd try on GMATPrep #1). V51 resulted from scoring 100%; V48 from answering 1 verbal question (#10) wrong; V47 and V48 from answering 2 verbal questions wrong (both later on, in the 20's-40's), and V42 from answering 6 wrong.

Overall I'm not too worried about the verbal score. Although it is pretty picky, needing to get every single one right to score a 51, it's overall easier imo than the quant section, and the percentile skew is better (V46 is 99%ile). I wish they scored quant and verbal evenly; it seems that you can miss 3-4 per section and still score within the 99th percentile.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Remember the gmat scoring is certainly not linear. Your first experiment where you guess RC and CR and score high on SC, simply shows that your overall score is so bad that the verbal score will mirror that.

I'm not sure that answering correctly the first 10 or so questions is that important.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Wonderful analysis by Hussain.

gmat-prep-analysis-tool-102803.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
smartmundu wrote:

I think that statement is more valid for verbal than it is for quant. During my actual GMAT prep, i got 7 wrong in verbal of which i got 2 wrong in a row 3 times (6 out of 7). I also got all questions from 13-35 correct and still scored only a 41. Then again, that may have been because i got 2 consecutive questions wrong twice before # 13.

Verbal definitely has more severe penalties for incorrect answers. I raised this question with a GMAT teacher as to why and his theory was that 'it is a lot harder for the GMAT to determine your competency in verbal than it is for the GMAT to determine your competency in quant'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Amazing topic! Have been reading very carefully.. I'll try to test it too asa Im ready.. Great job everyone so far
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
oustone85 wrote:
mbawaters wrote:
Took the GPrep2 yesterday, I got 39 in verbal after 8 mistakes. I have seen much better scores after 8 wrong but I guess here I had 3 wrong in a row in the first 8.

My take, yes first 5-10 do have more weight!

I definitely agree. I took the GPrep1 a few nights ago and got a 44 in verbal after missing 7 questions. Only missed one out of the first 8. However, I did miss 3 out of the last 7, so that hurt some. But evidently not as much as missing them at the start hurt you.

GOod finding. Let us know if u have muchmore finding.. May be that may help us..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM
i agree with the findings of bsd_lover, but i guess we should also see how the test varies if we get a string of questions wrong!

That will be a very interesting test i believe.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
WE:Business Development (Telecommunications)
Send PM
If you are running out of time, which is worse - doing each of the remaining questions to the best of your ability, try to get them all right and leave the rest? Or do quick guesstimates and try to at least attempt all the questions? Which has more severe penalty - an incomplete test or a string of wrong answers at the end?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
sns wrote:
If you are running out of time, which is worse - doing each of the remaining questions to the best of your ability, try to get them all right and leave the rest? Or do quick guesstimates and try to at least attempt all the questions? Which has more severe penalty - an incomplete test or a string of wrong answers at the end?

Never leave questions. Each un-attempted question translates to (roughly) a 3 percentile drop in the score. So the penalty to leave questions unanswered is severe.

please go through this thread as well (if you haven't already) - gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Cheers
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6