Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Re: Kroll background check [#permalink]
They won't know about it unless you include it in the data sheet, so they won't even check. I believe Kroll goes off a data sheet you fill out in advance. I think they also do credit checks in a lot of cases (it might show up there, perhaps if you paid taxes). Can anyone verify whether they always do a credit check as well and what kind of details that might include? Is it the same credit report you get from Transunion or Equifax?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: Kroll background check [#permalink]
bhavik123 wrote:
About 3 years ago i worked for a company for about 2.5 months. Since it was for only 2.5 months, I did not include it on my resume/employment history. I was still doing my current job at that time but I took up that temporary work for extra money. Will that be grounds for my admit getting rescinded or am I just being worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks for your time!

Did you put on your resume or in your essays that you were doing something else at the time (that Kroll would then verify off their datasheet as overstated by at least 2.5 months and therefore ask for an explanation for the unaccounted time)?

Does that business for which you worked 2.5 months operate in an illegal, unethical or otherwise despicable industry -- one that would give a business school pause as to admitting you in the first place?

If both answers are no, I would think you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
Hey, I just found out that I can check my own credit and do a background check on myself for only 20 bucks. I think that could be interesting... I can see why the schools want to check my credit rating though, when you consider the huge number of students that default on their student loans. I read somewhere that the default rate is something like 7% now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
joeleitz wrote:
Hey, I just found out that I can check my own credit and do a background check on myself for only 20 bucks. I think that could be interesting... I can see why the schools want to check my credit rating though, when you consider the huge number of students that default on their student loans. I read somewhere that the default rate is something like 7% now.

At least for US citizens, Student Loans are almost iron clad. Even in bankrupcy filings, you can't get rid of student loans (this isn't 100% true but does required quiet a bit of effort). This makes even less sense for international students.. But hey it's pretty painless the credit check portion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Tepper, McCombs
 Q48  V42
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 10 years - Consulting / Energy
Send PM
Hey all - Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just found this thread and could use some advice. I was recently admitted to a top 15 program with a full scholarship. Of course they are doing the Kroll background check. I didn't lie on anything on my application, but there are 2 things that might need explaining.

The first is that 1.5 years ago I was charged with a DWI. However, the charges were dropped (because it was a b.s. charge in the first place), but I know that it shows up on background checks (only that I was charged). I cannot have it expunged for 2 years....so, I have to wait till the end of this year to completely erase it from my record. On my application, they asked if I've ever been "convicted" or plead "no contest" to anything other than some sort of a misdemeanor (not sure of the exact wording). So, I checked "no" which is completely accurate. I now have the opportunity to contact them to "clarify" anything that might need clarification but am debating even bringing it up, since I answered the question truthfully and accurately. Thoughts?

The second is a bit more trivial....I am pretty sure that for one of my recommenders, I listed him as my supervisor, when technically, he is an "indirect supervisor." I do all my work for him, but I report to someone else. I won't go into details, but the guy I report to would probably have had typos in his letter of recommendation, whereas the guy I used (who has a much more prestigious job and reputation within the company) is someone I really respect and was thrilled to have write my letter of recommendation. My concern here is that if Kroll asks the company (i.e. HR) who I report to, they will list a different name than the person who wrote my letter. I know for a fact that if Kroll contacts my recommender, he would either say he was my supervisor or explain the situation, as we have already discussed this scenario. Does anyone know if this is a big deal at all?

Thanks in advance!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
If I were in your situation, I would contact Kroll to write exactly what you posted here about your DWI. Let them know it was a misunderstanding, you were not driving while intoxicated, the charges were dropped when the misunderstanding became clear and it is set to be expunged from your record in six months. Also frame your response to their question exactly how you framed it here. Mention that since you didn't have to plea, you responded no to the question. Then conclude with your hopeful conviction that Kroll and the University would agree it was an unfortunate event but one that should bear no weight on the school's decision to admit you and one was not worth mentioning at the time of application.

As for the second thing, I wouldn't mention it because (1) I don't really think the company is going to release the name of your supervisor to the business school. I think they're only going to check salary, employment dates and current standing, (2) if they contact your ref, he'll be prepped and ready and (3) on the off chance they do contact your current supervisor (I really have not heard of this yet from reading these boards, btw), he would probably explain the issue. If he doesn't you'll have a chance to rebut afterwards.

So I say tell them about 1 now and 2 later, only if it becomes a point of clarification.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does Kroll involve calling up recommenders as well or do they only verify job details? I'm asking as one of my recommenders is on trips to remote places and hes inaccessible most of time, because of which I've been delaying my background verification until he returns
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I was wondering for the KROLL employment check, if I only provided my reference contact info but not my HR info, will they call my previous employer directly? or they will call my reference to check?

If they call my previous employer directly, what if the receptionist cannot direct them to the right HR personnel with my record?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hello everybody!

Maybe it will be a stupid question, but still... This checks by Kroll can be really stressful. My question is. I am not from the US and my undergraduate institute is also not in the US. According to the rules, I sent to the MBA University my official school transcripts and now I have all this "what if" questions. My main concern is that if Kroll or anybody else tries to call my undergraduate university, it will be hard for them to find any English-speaking person (my country is not English-speaking one - Russia). So, if they just check my undergraduate transcripts, then everything will be OK and I don't have to worry - I provided them together with an official translation in English. If they call my University, I will have troubles trying to find anyone who speaks English and also explaining why it is hard to do (not a very nice perspective). Can someone answer me 2 questions:

1) exactly for educational verification: how do they do it? Are transcripts (with official translation) enough or do they call the University and do other checks? (which sounds strange to me as I have always thought that transcripts will be enough, but in case)

2) is the procedure somewhat different for international applicants (as I anticipate the same problems with my employers and my supervisor - the only way Kroll can contact them in English is through an interpreter)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mossovet814 wrote:
Hello everybody!

Maybe it will be a stupid question, but still... This checks by Kroll can be really stressful. My question is. I am not from the US and my undergraduate institute is also not in the US. According to the rules, I sent to the MBA University my official school transcripts and now I have all this "what if" questions. My main concern is that if Kroll or anybody else tries to call my undergraduate university, it will be hard for them to find any English-speaking person (my country is not English-speaking one - Russia). So, if they just check my undergraduate transcripts, then everything will be OK and I don't have to worry - I provided them together with an official translation in English. If they call my University, I will have troubles trying to find anyone who speaks English and also explaining why it is hard to do (not a very nice perspective). Can someone answer me 2 questions:

1) exactly for educational verification: how do they do it? Are transcripts (with official translation) enough or do they call the University and do other checks? (which sounds strange to me as I have always thought that transcripts will be enough, but in case)

2) is the procedure somewhat different for international applicants (as I anticipate the same problems with my employers and my supervisor - the only way Kroll can contact them in English is through an interpreter)

1) Kroll will check whatever is relevant in your university.

2) Language is not an issue for them.
Current Student
Send PM
crapface wrote:
Does Kroll involve calling up recommenders as well or do they only verify job details? I'm asking as one of my recommenders is on trips to remote places and hes inaccessible most of time, because of which I've been delaying my background verification until he returns

That depends strictly on what the school asked Kroll to verify, but I believe most do request that recommenders be contacted. I would not delay your background verification on account of your recommender being out of reach. Just fill out the data sheet, then it's up to them if they want to arrange time for a phone call, email the person instead, etc. that's not something you should have to worry about. Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
panopticonalee wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering for the KROLL employment check, if I only provided my reference contact info but not my HR info, will they call my previous employer directly? or they will call my reference to check?

If they call my previous employer directly, what if the receptionist cannot direct them to the right HR personnel with my record?

This sounds like a bit of a strange situation. Even in companies where there is no dedicated HR personnel, there is always someone who keeps human resource-related data. They will find the right person eventually, but that might take time. To ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible, I suggest you give them the contact details of the person who has access to your employment data.
Current Student
Send PM
sickofthewait wrote:
Hey all - Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just found this thread and could use some advice. I was recently admitted to a top 15 program with a full scholarship. Of course they are doing the Kroll background check. I didn't lie on anything on my application, but there are 2 things that might need explaining.

The first is that 1.5 years ago I was charged with a DWI. However, the charges were dropped (because it was a b.s. charge in the first place), but I know that it shows up on background checks (only that I was charged). I cannot have it expunged for 2 years....so, I have to wait till the end of this year to completely erase it from my record. On my application, they asked if I've ever been "convicted" or plead "no contest" to anything other than some sort of a misdemeanor (not sure of the exact wording). So, I checked "no" which is completely accurate. I now have the opportunity to contact them to "clarify" anything that might need clarification but am debating even bringing it up, since I answered the question truthfully and accurately. Thoughts?

I say wait and see if they even bring it up. As long as you answered truthfully in the first place, I don't see it being a problem, especially if you explain the situation the way you have above in the off chance they ask. The school has gone through the trouble of admitting you, they won't let you go without a fight.

sickofthewait wrote:
The second is a bit more trivial....I am pretty sure that for one of my recommenders, I listed him as my supervisor, when technically, he is an "indirect supervisor." I do all my work for him, but I report to someone else. I won't go into details, but the guy I report to would probably have had typos in his letter of recommendation, whereas the guy I used (who has a much more prestigious job and reputation within the company) is someone I really respect and was thrilled to have write my letter of recommendation. My concern here is that if Kroll asks the company (i.e. HR) who I report to, they will list a different name than the person who wrote my letter. I know for a fact that if Kroll contacts my recommender, he would either say he was my supervisor or explain the situation, as we have already discussed this scenario. Does anyone know if this is a big deal at all?

Thanks in advance!!

Kroll is not likely to ask HR who your direct supervisor is. Also, the person writing your recommendation doesn't even have to be your direct supervisor. One of my recommenders is a person that supervised me on a few projects, but I was not her direct report by any means. I made sure she explained the extent of her supervisory responsibility in her recommendation. The only requirement is that the person writing it should be able to speak to your professional abilities and leadership potential - they could be a client, supervisor, etc. I doubt that the person who wrote it explicitly said that s/he is your only and direct supervisor, you're sweating small stuff here. Kroll will contact HR and they will want to know dates, salaries, titles. Then they will contact your recommender and will want to know if they actually wrote the recommendation (do they know you at all? For how long?) and what your last title was, and that's it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KRoll background check ( I own my own business) [#permalink]
What kind of background check do schools want to know? Will I have to show tax records of how much I made or will kroll check to see how much I have made?
Thanks
Current Student
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check ( I own my own business) [#permalink]
monad2000 wrote:
What kind of background check do schools want to know? Will I have to show tax records of how much I made or will kroll check to see how much I have made?
Thanks

They'll talk to your employer and figure out how much you made. That's definitely one of the things they check.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ariel wrote:
monad2000 wrote:
Thanks

They'll talk to your employer and figure out how much you made. That's definitely one of the things they check.

What do they do if I am self emplyed? I have owed my own business for 3 years..
Thanks...
Current Student
Send PM
monad2000 wrote:

What do they do if I am self emplyed? I have owed my own business for 3 years..
Thanks...

They will likely ask for proof of how much you've paid in taxes for that period.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16