Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: My Rough Start (A Tad Long) [#permalink]
A CMA (Cost & Managment Accountant) welcomes a CPA!!! :)

I wanna tell you a secret, so dont share with any one else. If you wanna go to your dream school or even to a low elite MBA, believe me you can do it, provided you stay here at gmat club. When I joined this forum, I used to set 670 as my target gmat score but now I dream for 700+ (no matter what happens in real day). Give some time to this forum daily & you will get huge benefit.

OG + MGMAT = Sufficient, no need for Kaplan. GMAT Club tests are great so that can be an extra source too.

No more IFRS chapters to remember, focus on MGMAT :)

Best of luck!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I will join the group and say - you can definitely do it.
Not sure, however, that an MBA can teach you good management skills - i have doubts. Mostly because you won't have anyone to manage (except your team mates and that's different). An MBA is absolutely valuable but I would suggest hitting up somebody you see/admire as a good manager and as to be mentored/hang around them as much as possible. That's the second best way to learn management if you don't have "built in" skills, and many/most people don't. Only a few are really good managers...

that will give you 2 things:
1. Management skills fairly quickly
2. Save $100K on MBA
3. Strength to go into MBA if you need it (to a better school)

Just venting back :)
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Hi Hussain, thanks for the welcome. It's nice to see a fellow bean counter on here, even if both of us are bent on a transition away from it. I agree that this forum should be quite a help for me. I've been reading a lot of the posts, especially the ones concerning the posters' success stories. Just reading that others have gone through the rough patches helps a lot. It's great to see that the old adage, "misery loves company" is still alive and well.

BB: Thanks for the advice. I perhaps shouldn't have been so flippant in saying my problem was just in management. I should say that my background from school and the years immediately after were in no way business related. I didn't even take a business (or marketing) course until I was doing my prep for the CPA exams. So the problem I face in business seems to be the assumption of knowledge people have. I am often in the dark about things others find fundamental or basic. I know I've been guilty of this myself when I assume someone that isn't a CPA understands me when I start in on some dense topic. Now there are ways around this, only one of which is pursuit of the MBA. I realize that there are trade-offs involved. Heck, the sticker shock alone is a big trade-off. That being said, after research on here as well as other sources, it seems like the right path. I can't say I've always picked the 'right' path in life, but I've never regretted all that I've learned. I doubt I would regret the MBA either. As for finding a good manager as a mentor, I would be all for it...now if I could only find such a manager...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
GMATCLUB Math tests are enough for quant section.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA &amp; CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Kissthegmat: I definitely plan on taking the GMATclub tests. That seems like almost a must, according to others on here with high scores. Still, thanks for the tip. I am open to any tips as you never know where a nugget of gold will surface!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Yale
 Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Send PM
VinceCPA,

Sounds like you are quite a motivated guy - if you had the perseverance to get through all four sections of the silly but yet extremely frustrating CPA exam, I'm confident that you'll succeed in the GMAT arena.

It's great that you've found this forum - many people who score well on the GMAT, or quant specifically, are not super duper math geniuses. (My apologies to those of you who truly are "super duper math geniuses") The test definitely can be "learned" via practice and just getting used to all the shortcuts to save you precious time. You didn't mention where you stand for Verbal, but I'm assuming that you've scoured the rest of this forum for advice on how to succeed, so I won't beat a dead horse here.

Just wanted to send you some encouragement and good vibes your way - best of luck studying! It won't be fun, but it'll all be worth it when you see a 700+ score on your screen come test day. Feel free to PM if you have any additional questions!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
bosunnusob: Thanks for the encouragement, it's definitely appreciated. As for verbal, I'm not nearly as worried about it as the Quant. I did a random sampling of verbal questions from the OG12 and found much of the questions right up my alley. I will still work on the strategies from the Manhattan guides after finishing the Quant. I'm not nearly cocky enough to imagine I'm that good at the verbal stuff to skip good tips and strategies.

At this point, I'm on the third Quant book of the Manhattan guides and I'm starting to feel much better about the whole thing. I was hoping this would happen and am glad it has. The guides are written in such a way that they complement each other. Things that were confusing in the first two books are becoming clear at this point and I'm not missing too many questions now. I can only imagine things will get even better as I work through the rest of the 8 part set. Then, I have all the OG books to work towards. Things are definitely looking up!
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
I thought I'd throw in a quick update: I've completed the first four books of Manhattan as of this afternoon. I decided to try a quick test on the Quant, just to see how I was doing. I took the OG prep a couple of weeks ago and bombed it (only took the first Quant section and gave up in frustration). That hurt but wasn't surprising. What was surprising is that I scored at 87% a few minutes ago in Quant (not GMATprep). That seems like quite a jump! I think I can chalk it down to finally starting to remember all the junk I forgot all those years ago. Oh, and studying my butt off too! I haven't even cracked Geometry yet, so I'm hopeful. Still, one practice test is only a little motivation. In the end, it doesn't mean too much. Oh, and I wonder if I was a tad lucky. Some of the early questions were downright simple! Also, I'll have to see how GMATprep treats me next.

Originally posted by VinceCPA on 02 Aug 2010, 21:46.
Last edited by VinceCPA on 05 Aug 2010, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
Vince,

I'm diggin your blog bro! Keep up the good work. I'll update mine as soon as I start the MGMAT series.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Hey Womiwom, sounds good. I replied to your own thread. It is a good feeling to know that there are other people in the same boat as me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VinceCPA wrote:
I thought I'd throw in a quick update: I've completed the first four books of Manhattan as of this afternoon. I decided to try a quick test on the Quant, just to see how I was doing. I took the OG prep a couple of weeks ago and bombed it (only took the first Quant section and gave up in frustration). That hurt but wasn't surprising. What was surprising is that I scored at 87% a few minutes ago in Quant. That seems like quite a jump! I think I can chalk it down to finally starting to remember all the junk I forgot all those years ago. Oh, and studying my butt off too! I haven't even cracked Geometry yet, so I'm hopeful. Still, one practice test is only a little motivation. In the end, it doesn't mean too much. Oh, and I wonder if I was a tad lucky. Some of the early questions were downright simple!

I'm about to start working through the MGMAT Quant books and hoping for the results you are seeing. I only ordered the Equations and Number Properties books from Amazon since I am the weakest in these areas, but if I see the kind of improvement you are after these, I may just have to get the others too. Thanks for the story, it's giving me some home :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
The MGMAT guides are legit. At first before any prep, I was struggling to get through the first 50 problems on OG 12. Now going through every single MGMAT guide, I have a good chance of figuring out all of the PS problems on OG 12 (Untimed).
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
The MGMAT guides are legit. At first before any prep, I was struggling to get through the first 50 problems on OG 12. Now going through every single MGMAT guide, I have a good chance of figuring out all of the PS problems on OG 12 (Untimed).

I agree. I actually have the GMATclub app for my iPhone, which I downloaded before I cracked the books. I went through a couple questions a few weeks ago and gave up as they seemed impossible (little did I know at the time that they are considered "hard" questions). Last night I looked at a few and actually figured out some right answers. I'm not getting every single one, but some is definitely better than none. I can only imagine I have the Manhattan series to thank for that.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
My Rough Start Is Getting Smoother [#permalink]
Another quick update for my story. I took a first crack at the GMATprep exactly two weeks ago. I scored a 420. I didn't have the heart to type that earlier as that was just sad. Now, after just two weeks and only getting through the Quant section of the Manhattan series, I just scored a 590 on the GMATprep. The breakdown was pretty even (36Q, 35V). I'm feeling a bit better. I always knew that Quant would be the death of me. Also, I haven't even touched the Verbal stuff in any of my guides. So, in summary, I have worked my way through the first 5 Manhattan Guides, have the 3 Verbal to go, and then on to the OG Quant, OG Verbal and OG 12th. After I finish those, I think I'll take a second quick run through the Manhattan Quant stuff, just as a refresher. Oh, and of course I'll be going through questions on here as well as other practice material and tests.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
Vince,
That's a great improvement! 170 points in just two weeks! Just think of where you'll be in two months. Keep up the good work.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Thanks Womiwom. I just did a quick review of my practice test and I can see where I made some silly errors. I really should have done better. Oh well, that's something to take into the future. My problem really comes down to my pace. Time Management and I don't get along. It isn't that I run out of time, far from it. I finished Quant with 10+ minutes left and over 20 minutes left on Verbal. Shoot, I really need to slow down. I guess the idea of timing has me going faster than necessary. I guess I'll just have to get better with practice.

And yeah, on the positive side, I feel really good about the improvement. I think I have a great chance of a home run on Verbal, which should give my score a very nice bump. I really don't think I'll max the Quant, but I can definitely do much better.

Also, to those that say you can't improve your score with studying....MEH to that thought!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Congrats man! thats a great improvement in such a short time. I been keeping up with your blog, I need to update mine lol, but im in a similar situation from you starting from scratch essentially, its good to read about the progress of others at the same stage
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts