Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Gacarva wrote:
w103psp wrote:
Gacarva wrote:
Hey w103psp, sorry to jump in your conversation, International applicant here, I´m also aplying to stern as welll as the schools you mention in your profile, interested in S&T... hopes it gets better this year. I will be visiting Stern the first week of october, please let us now how your visit goes and if you have any sugestions after that.

Definitely! I will post my debrief from Columbia and Stern after visit. Essay 2 has such a heavy emphasis on the Stern connection:

Essay 2. Your Stern Experience
(500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)

We take great care to shape the Stern community with individuals who possess both intellectual and interpersonal strengths. We seek individuals who are highly intelligent, collaborative and committed to flourishing as Stern leaders. Please answer the following questions:

(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? Tell us what actions you have taken to learn about us.
(b) Describe what most excites you about Stern from both an academic and extracurricular perspective.
(c) How do you anticipate making your mark on the Stern community? Be specific about the roles you will take on and the impact you hope to achieve.

Great, tks in advance..... i´m looking forward to mi visits to Columbia and Stern..... wish i could visit Chicago as well but my schedule is very difficult, i´m traveling from South America and plan to spend 5 days in NYC just to visit these schools..... so i´ll hopefully works as a little part for (a) part of the essay....

I see that Duke is also on your list. You can schedule an interview, tour campus and attend a class on the same day. Check it out. I'm headed there in October and have family in Durham so it's also a vacation! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Durham, may be a little difficult for me, due to my lack of time..... however, i´m still trying to make it to chicago, at least for one day..... are you planning a visit to chicago as well?
Current Student
Send PM
Gacarva wrote:
Durham, may be a little difficult for me, due to my lack of time..... however, i´m still trying to make it to chicago, at least for one day..... are you planning a visit to chicago as well?

No plans yet; Chicago is R2 for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Investment Management
 Q50  V40
GPA: Dismal
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Send PM
I'm in for R1 as well. Re-applicant from last year - waitlisted in R2, and eventually dinged in June.

Question : As a re-applicant do I have to submit all 3 essays, and the 2 recommendations again ? Or, since they already have my material, I need to submit only the reapplicant essay (stating how my candidacy has changed since last year) ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sj0509 wrote:
I'm in for R1 as well. Re-applicant from last year - waitlisted in R2, and eventually dinged in June.

Question : As a re-applicant do I have to submit all 3 essays, and the 2 recommendations again ? Or, since they already have my material, I need to submit only the reapplicant essay (stating how my candidacy has changed since last year) ?

Sorry to hear about your ding! Did you receive any feedback from Stern? You have a great GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Thanks.

Nope, I didn't get any feedback from them. Just the usual letter, but I didn't try asking either.

A couple things that I could think of :

1.) Indian/IT/Male - one of the biggest applicant pools - and I applied in R2. They probably already had their fill of this category already :)
2.) Average GPA - 3.0

Since then, I have cleared my CFA L2, taken on additional responsibilities at work, and have had some community work experience. Hoping that'll help ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
Send PM
I'm strongly considering apply to Stern in either R1 or R2. I visited campus and took a tour back in April, although unfortunately Stern does not permit class visits in Spring semester. Since the school strongly emphasizes culture/fit (and essay 2 specifically asks for your previous interactions with the community), I'm thinking that this brief experience may be insufficient. Thinking about another visit in the fall, however, my problem is that I'm very limited on vacation time from work. I'm wondering if it would be possible to visit NYC on a weekend (not hard for me to get to) and arrange to meet up with some current students to get a better feel. Not sure how they would feel about taking time out on the weekend, but maybe worth a shot.

Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
sj0509 wrote:
Thanks.

Nope, I didn't get any feedback from them. Just the usual letter, but I didn't try asking either.

1.) Indian/IT/Male - one of the biggest applicant pools - and I applied in R2. They probably already had their fill of this category already :)
2.) Average GPA - 3.0

Since then, I have cleared my CFA L2, taken on additional responsibilities at work, and have had some community work experience. Hoping that'll help ...

As far as I know, here are Stern's reapplicant procedures: https://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

So there is only one essay and one letter required. Can you submit more than one letter or essay, or is submitting more than the required not recommended?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
sj0509 wrote:
Thanks.

2.) Average GPA - 3.0

As far as I know, here are Stern's reapplicant procedures: https://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

So there is only one essay and one letter required. Can you submit more than one letter or essay, or is submitting more than the required not recommended?

Oh great. Thanks for this piece of info. I was looking for it - but apparently not hard enough :)

From the wording, it doesn't look like they discourage submitting all three essays again, as well as the 2 recommendations. However, I am inclined towards submitting only the required material as of right now.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Has anyone of you explored the MBA/MS in Mathematics in Finance joint degree offered by Stern/Courant ?

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicPrograms/FullTime/Curriculum/DualDegrees/MBA-MSFinanceMath/index.htm

How easy/difficult is it to get through this joint program as compared to just the MBA program ? More importantly, what kind of jobs does this actually cater to ? Quant Managers in Risk/Portfolio Management ?

Is there a demand for this degree ?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
sj0509 wrote:
Thanks.

2.) Average GPA - 3.0

I am now leaning towards submitting all three essays again, but only one recommendation letter.

@gkumar: Are you going to get a recommendation from the same person again, or different people this time around ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
sj0509 wrote:
gkumar wrote:
sj0509 wrote:
Thanks.

2.) Average GPA - 3.0

I am now leaning towards submitting all three essays again, but only one recommendation letter.

@gkumar: Are you going to get a recommendation from the same person again, or different people this time around ?

Not sure yet. I've new options, but I might use the same ones as before. Have you talked with the AdCom to see if submitting more essays is acceptable? I know that other schools such as Columbia discourage it. Please do let us know what you find out.
USC 2011 Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Schools:USC Marshall $$, BU $$, UCLA
 Q47  V39
GPA: 3.75
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
Reapplicant from last year ... Please add me to R1

NYU is my top choice .... I am international applicant and applied too late in R2 last year .... going to try my luck with this dream school this year too...

I am going to use the same essays from last year and add a new recommendation from my current supervisor... there not much to add to my app though (considering I applied in January) ... Lets see how it goes...

Good luck to everyone out there !!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
sj0509 wrote:
Has anyone of you explored the MBA/MS in Mathematics in Finance joint degree offered by Stern/Courant ?

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicPrograms/FullTime/Curriculum/DualDegrees/MBA-MSFinanceMath/index.htm

How easy/difficult is it to get through this joint program as compared to just the MBA program ? More importantly, what kind of jobs does this actually cater to ? Quant Managers in Risk/Portfolio Management ?

Thanks.

I've looked into this program too, and would love to do it, but I'm doubtful of my chances of being accepted into the MS portion of the program as it requires 3 academic references. It's been 8 years since I've been in school and I have maybe 1 former prof I could ask.

As for jobs, I believe you're exactly right, this caters pretty specifically to quantitative investment management and risk management. I don't know how much demand there is, but it seems like a unique program that would set you apart from the people just getting an MBA or MFin.

I'm going to the Stern info session on Tuesday and plan to ask about the program. I'll report back if I get any further details.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
sj0509 wrote:

Thanks.

I've looked into this program too, and would love to do it, but I'm doubtful of my chances of being accepted into the MS portion of the program as it requires 3 academic references. It's been 8 years since I've been in school and I have maybe 1 former prof I could ask.

As for jobs, I believe you're exactly right, this caters pretty specifically to quantitative investment management and risk management. I don't know how much demand there is, but it seems like a unique program that would set you apart from the people just getting an MBA or MFin.

I'm going to the Stern info session on Tuesday and plan to ask about the program. I'll report back if I get any further details.

awesome ! yes please update us ....

I am quite inclined towards this program. In my mind, I was just going to submit 3 professional recos, since like you, even I have been out of school for 9 yrs now.

In my goals essay last year, I set my short term goal as a Buy-Side Equity Research Analyst .. Not sure if it would spell trouble to change it to a Buy-Side Quantitative Analyst this year ... Although both of them do relate to IM, and conceptually are doing the same thing - helping the PM in his/her portfolio construction, in addition to other things ...

@gkumar: I havn't spoken to the adcom yet. Planning to attend an info session within a couple weeks. Will definitely update in the forum if no one else has by then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton(R1),Booth(R1),Stern(R1)
Send PM
in for round 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]