Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Expert Reply
justnumbers wrote:
HI the site looks great. Could you give me some pointers on how to use my materials effectively?

I have:
1. OG 11
2. Kaplan GMAT 800

I was thinking about getting the 8 MGMAT guides, but will they reference the OG12? It looks like I have the top and bottom of your study outline pyramid.

Any idea how the math is compared to statistics in the CFA Level 1 Exam?

I'm in no rush to get it done, but I want to aim high. I was thinking about dedicating Aug-Oct to study and take it in November.

Thanks.

Get the MGMAT guides and use this table for conversion: manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html or here is a crazy idea - spend another $20 and get OG 12.

P.S. CFA exam and GMAT don't have much overlap/correlation. Many CFA folks flunk GMAT and vice versa.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MontrealLady wrote:
bb wrote:
GMAT Study Plan for GMAT Novices - [work-in-progress - suggestions welcome]

!
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
so by which books do I have to start?

Couldn't find answer to this.
I have been using OG questions (did ~20 Qs on each section so far)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatapp wrote:

See the plan or go here: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html?highlight=ml306
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
gmatapp wrote:

See the plan or go here:

However for practice question in quant, only OG is mentioned in this list
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Each book comes with practice problems/questions - usually those are enough. You can use OG 12 for additional practice. However, generally OG is on the easier side. Also, time yourself whenever you work on the OG or with any other questions. It is important.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
There have been many awesome strategies that have been posted in this forum.
Let me share my strategy that i am going to follow for the last few days just before Giving GMAT.

<note, this post is Verbal section specific>
The Final Sprint
The last 10 days for GMAT i feel are the most crucial days for gmat. The funda is that one should score increasingly higher in each of their mock GMAT so as to peak exactly during the GMAT. As much us one must concentrate on their weaknesses, one must not let their strengths rust. So i propose the following

The First Five Days
The first five days, i will be doing daily 15 sentence corrections from three different sources( 2 online and one book). the rationale behind this is that I will be able to get diverse set of questions to practice from.
I will go through my wordlists that i had collected over the period of my preparation so that i will be able to tackle every new word that will come my way.
For RC, i am going to continue to read 5 articles of diverse nature everyday. I am planning to focus on current affairs as that will help me get connected with the world in ways more than one.
For Critical reasoning, i will practice in a similar way as i had mentioned for sentence corrections.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
<continued from my previous post>
The Next two days
In the next two days, i plan to step up my preparation. I am planning to take off from work so that i will be able to give intensive preparation. Simply speaking i will be increasing the scale of preparation like what i said for the first five days. this will keep me confident and i will give at least 3 mocks during this period.

The Final Three days
The final three days, i will set aside for revising the concepts. i will go back to the notes i ve made during my preparation, various tips given online in the forums. This will be the relaxation phase for me. even during relaxation, i wanna feel confident that i will crack the examination. With a positive attitude i will carry out the tasks for the day. I will read lots of poems that my friend has selected for me and reflect at the beauty of the language. understanding these poems will take me a long way to understanding RCs.
The final day before the examination, i will go to the beach, chill out, drink lots and lots of water and relax to the max. i will catch up on my fav hindi movie(jaane tu ya jaane na) and english movie ( V for vendatta ) and relax. a short quick look at the notes for half hour will be the only studies i will do before the day.

This is my strategy. Please advise and give more suggestions for the same.

Please add kudos if you like my post
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
joined this forum recently..plannin to give gmat in aug end..CheriInfinite post is really helpful..gonna follow this strategy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Question for BB – Should I read the Kaplan Premier book simultaneously with the MGMAT quant series or do I first read the Kaplan Premier book, then start the MGMAT series? I plan to start studying next week and take the GMAT in Dec/Jan. Thanks for the advice. Great forum.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
CheriInfinite wrote:
<continued from my previous post>
The Next two days
In the next two days, i plan to step up my preparation. I am planning to take off from work so that i will be able to give intensive preparation. Simply speaking i will be increasing the scale of preparation like what i said for the first five days. this will keep me confident and i will give at least 3 mocks during this period.

The Final Three days
The final three days, i will set aside for revising the concepts. i will go back to the notes i ve made during my preparation, various tips given online in the forums. This will be the relaxation phase for me. even during relaxation, i wanna feel confident that i will crack the examination. With a positive attitude i will carry out the tasks for the day. I will read lots of poems that my friend has selected for me and reflect at the beauty of the language. understanding these poems will take me a long way to understanding RCs.
The final day before the examination, i will go to the beach, chill out, drink lots and lots of water and relax to the max. i will catch up on my fav hindi movie(jaane tu ya jaane na) and english movie ( V for vendatta ) and relax. a short quick look at the notes for half hour will be the only studies i will do before the day.

This is my strategy. Please advise and give more suggestions for the same.

Please add kudos if you like my post

Nice post :). I am writing my Gmat again in another 20 days or so and I can feel the tension / nervousness building in me. I will see how to unwind from work few days before my test :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q49  V35 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
Send PM
Kudos
i wish i'd gone through this post before taking my GMAT. Anway, this should come in handy for my second attempt at GMAT.

thanks for the post.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
bb,

I seem to be having trouble finding any information as far as pacing advice is concerned. Have we had any topics on the issue specifically about what we should target or is this issue something that by nature will fluctuate from member to member?

Disclaimer, I have searched on the forum for this information but I can't seem to find any threads with expert advice.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Do you mean something like this?
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

Exactly, the notation got the best of me. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent post BB..
I think gmatclub is amazing place to be.. thanks to all the members for creating such an wonderful community
Really loving it
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
jcurry wrote:
bb wrote:

Exactly, the notation got the best of me. Thanks

See also, gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

This is basically what I was looking for except more of a 'what do you recommend' instead of allowing myself to make it up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Send PM
I agree. You'll really loose track of time thinking that 3 months is more than enough
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  42