Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3135 [349]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [178]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29900 [27]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:
What is the best approach to tackle questions like these ?

Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either likes or dislikes lima beans and each student either likes or dislikes brussels sprouts. Of these students, 2/3 dislike lima beans; and of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 also dislike brussels sprouts. How many of the students like brussels sprouts but dislike lima beans?

I'd advise to make a table:
Attachment:
Lima-Sprouts.JPG

Note that:
"2/3 dislike lima beans" means 2/3 of total dislike lima;
"of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 also dislike brussels sprouts" means of those who dislike lima \(1-\frac{3}{5}=\frac{2}{5}\) like sprout, or \(\frac{2}{3}*\frac{2}{5}=\frac{4}{15}\) of total dislike lima but like sprouts. So to calculate # of students who dislike lima but like sprouts we should now total # of students (t).

Answer: D.

I didn't understand this part...
means of those who dislike lima \(1-\frac{3}{5}=\frac{2}{5}\) like sprout, or
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [4]
Send PM
Re: Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
onedayill wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

Of the students who eat in a certain cafeteria, each student either likes or dislikes lima beans and each student either likes or dislikes brussels sprouts. Of these students, 2/3 dislike lima beans; and of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 also dislike brussels sprouts. How many of the students like brussels sprouts but dislike lima beans?

Attachment:
Lima-Sprouts.JPG

Note that:
"of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 also dislike brussels sprouts" means of those who dislike lima \(1-\frac{3}{5}=\frac{2}{5}\) like sprout, or \(\frac{2}{3}*\frac{2}{5}=\frac{4}{15}\) of total dislike lima but like sprouts. So to calculate # of students who dislike lima but like sprouts we should now total # of students (t).

I didn't understand this part...
means of those who dislike lima \(1-\frac{3}{5}=\frac{2}{5}\) like sprout, or

If "of those who dislike lima beans, 3/5 (40%) also dislike brussels sprouts", hence rest of of those who dislike lima beans or 2/5 (60%) must like sprouts. As "2/3 of total dislike lima beans" then 2/3*2/5=4/15 of total dislike lima but like sprouts.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

Note that:

(1) 120 students eat in the cafeteria --> \(t=120\) --> \(x=\frac{4}{15}t=32\). Sufficient.

(2) 40 of the students like lima beans --> total students who like lima + total students who dislike lima = total --> \(40+\frac{2}{3}t=t\) --> \(t=120\) --> \(x=\frac{4}{15}t=32\). Sufficient.

Let Total Student are t.
2/3 t dislike lima bean so 1/3 likes lima bean
Now 3/5 * 2/3 *t dislike sprout = 6/15*t dislike both LB and BS

Now we know that how many dislike and Like LB and that dislike both LB and BS
But we do not know how many like BS.
I struck here and selected E wrongly.

Can you please explain in easy language. I did not get the solution
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
him1985 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

Note that:

(1) 120 students eat in the cafeteria --> \(t=120\) --> \(x=\frac{4}{15}t=32\). Sufficient.

(2) 40 of the students like lima beans --> total students who like lima + total students who dislike lima = total --> \(40+\frac{2}{3}t=t\) --> \(t=120\) --> \(x=\frac{4}{15}t=32\). Sufficient.

Let Total Student are t.
2/3 t dislike lima bean so 1/3 likes lima bean
Now 3/5 * 2/3 *t dislike sprout = 6/15*t dislike both LB and BS

Now we know that how many dislike and Like LB and that dislike both LB and BS
But we do not know how many like BS.
I struck here and selected E wrongly.

Can you please explain in easy language. I did not get the solution

We need to find how many students like brussels sprouts but dislike lima beans (box in red in my solution). Each statement is sufficient to find this value as shown above. Can you please tell me what is unclear there?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I have a question , this is a subtle concept but i guess very important.

Like in this question , i was left little misled by the work either they like or dislike Limabean , and either they like or dislike Sproat. So i thought Neither will be 0

So when do we need to identify the Neither case . I thought here also there will be no neither case ie neither like limabean and sproat.

But i see all the 4 boxes in matrix are filled .

Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

Attachment:
Lima-Sprouts.JPG

Note that:

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hanschris5 wrote:
I have a question , this is a subtle concept but i guess very important.

Like in this question , i was left little misled by the work either they like or dislike Limabean , and either they like or dislike Sproat. So i thought Neither will be 0

So when do we need to identify the Neither case . I thought here also there will be no neither case ie neither like limabean and sproat.

But i see all the 4 boxes in matrix are filled .

Bunuel wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

Attachment:
Lima-Sprouts.JPG

Note that:

Each student either likes or dislikes lima beans, means that there are students who does NOT like lima beans.
Each student either likes or dislikes brussels sprouts, means that there are students who does NO like brussels sprouts.

Thus, there might be students who does NOT like either lima beans or brussels sprouts.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [8]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos