Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: Nonprofit? [#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
Nice set of schools.

I was going to chime in and say that you should look into schools that are not strong in non-profit because this will probably maximize your chances of getting in... which is the goal, right?

For instance, Yale enrolls 5-10% from non-profit (probably not accurate... just off the top of my head), and Yale is known for non-profit, so they must get tons of non-profit applicants.....

but Colombia probably gets less non-profit applicants, so your chances at Colombia could be better.

I think gmatclb is right. Yale blew me off completely (not even an interview!) while schools that tend to rank slightly higher let me in and gave me money. I don't know the actual reason, but my relative lack of uniqueness may well have been a factor.

Your portfolio is all from the UE tier - I respect you for that. There's a lot of volatility as you go higher in the rankings. In case you need or want to consider schools from the elite cluster, these schools all struck me as being fairly solid in the NP sector:

Michigan
Duke
Cornell
Yale
Berkeley
Dartmouth

NYU, Darden, and UCLA didn't do it for me, though I don't remember why. Some of them have LRAP (loan repayment assistance program) and some don't.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:
Nice set of schools.

I was going to chime in and say that you should look into schools that are not strong in non-profit because this will probably maximize your chances of getting in... which is the goal, right?

For instance, Yale enrolls 5-10% from non-profit (probably not accurate... just off the top of my head), and Yale is known for non-profit, so they must get tons of non-profit applicants.....

but Colombia probably gets less non-profit applicants, so your chances at Colombia could be better.

i wondered about this. all of the schools i applied to except chicago have social enterprise / NP electives even if they are not known for as NP schools. i figure that the schools must intend to fill these courses or they would not offer them (i doubt they set out to waste their own resources). so common sense would dictate that they will select a certain number of students with relevant experience who state a desire to enroll in these programs. do they admit a lot of NP students? i guess it depends on what one means by a lot. 5-10% of a 900 person class (HBS) is a decent number, but i guess it depends on how many NP people apply. if they let in 90 out of 300 applicants, then any one of those people has a pretty decent chance (i just made those numbers up, i really have no idea).

Anyway,

Havard - well developed social enterprise curric.
Stanford - social enterprise certificate (can't remember the name)
Wharton - dual degree program with school of social policy; certificate of non-profit administration through the Fels Institute of Govt. at Penn.
Columbia - extensive list of nonprofit electives
Chicago - nothing unless i overlooked something.

i wouldn't call any of these schools NP friendly (except maybe stanford), but 4/5 offer some kind of NP course of study.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think gmatclb is right. Yale blew me off completely (not even an interview!) while schools that tend to rank slightly higher let me in and gave me money. I don't know the actual reason, but my relative lack of uniqueness may well have been a factor.

Your portfolio is all from the UE tier - I respect you for that. There's a lot of volatility as you go higher in the rankings. In case you need or want to consider schools from the elite cluster, these schools all struck me as being fairly solid in the NP sector:

Michigan
Duke
Cornell
Yale
Berkeley
Dartmouth

NYU, Darden, and UCLA didn't do it for me, though I don't remember why. Some of them have LRAP (loan repayment assistance program) and some don't.[/quote]

yes, i think i may be over reaching by going only for UE schools. i'm in kind of a bind though. i want to do NP finance, but doing so is going to require experience first -- i can't just roll into a NP endowment after b school and get a job as a portfolio manager. endowments usually hire people with experience, so it seems to make sense to get experience at the best possible firm first. to do that, one must attend the best possible school. i don't know if any of the schools listed above, save perhaps Michigan, will get me into a good buyside firm right off the bat.

i'm ready to go now, but i guess if i don't get in, it won't be the end of the world. i'm still fairly young (25), so another year of workex wouldn't kill me, and i would have time to pass the last CFA exam + raise my GMAT another 50 points. fingers crossed... i can only attend one school so i only need one admit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Bump.

Just wanted to revive this thread in case there are any others out there with any interest in non-profit work post-MBA.

A question that keeps hounding me: Might citing non-profit work as a career goal work to your disadvantage, even at a school that touts its social responsibility? I wonder if schools worry that another non-profit applicant will bring their average salary figures down and deprive them of more tuition dollars by taking advantage of the school's LRAP. Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
skahuh wrote:
Bump.

Just wanted to revive this thread in case there are any others out there with any interest in non-profit work post-MBA.

A question that keeps hounding me: Might citing non-profit work as a career goal work to your disadvantage, even at a school that touts its social responsibility? I wonder if schools worry that another non-profit applicant will bring their average salary figures down and deprive them of more tuition dollars by taking advantage of the school's LRAP. Any thoughts?

There are better options out there than pursuing a MBA degree if your goal is running a non-profit organization after grad school. Only few select bschools offer specialized electives geared towards running a nonprofit. But traditionally, many highly qualified individuals instead pursued MPA degrees from top schools (NYU Wagner, Harvard Kennedy School, Princeton Woodrow Wilson, Berkley, Michigan, Georgetown, Duke, CMU, etc)

MPA programs are geared towards individuals interested in running non profit orgs after grad school. It provides business education, as well as unique electives that will expose you to various issues that you may run into when running a non profit org. They may boast better alums in the world of non-profit, and programs like Harvard Kennedy School is arguably more prestigious than some of the top MBA programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
nink wrote:
There are better options out there than pursuing a MBA degree if your goal is running a non-profit organization after grad school...

Perhaps. And maybe if your sole goal is to run a non-profit. But I'd rather not even go there...

What do you guys think about it from the admissions perspective? (See my questions, above.)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2