Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Tax Accounting [#permalink]
Well the idea is to keep options open for the time being. Auditing strikes me as really boring so I'm not interested in that, especially since I don't have the bubbling personality they seem to want for that. I could go after some valuation type jobs but I'm not sure how transferable those are. Also more difficult to get and lots more hours.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Yale
 Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Send PM
Hi Diogenes,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your awesome GMAT score.

I'm currently a Tax accountant at a Big 4, and while I have not enrolled in an MBA program/began a post/MBA career, I thought I might share some of my experiences about my industry and why an MBA.

From my observation, most people who start off in my company usually end up leaving, with maybe half doing something completely non-tax related. Some people leave for a JD or MBA, others do something else professional-services related, while the rest settle down into a tax accounting career in industry. I think that while the technical knowledge you'll learn from your job won't transfer too greatly to other career paths, the work experience itself of learning and growing in a profession, working with people (hopefully in a leadership capacity), and performing well relative to your peers are all pretty neat things to gain from this career path, or any career path, really. What I am trying to say is, since you are pretty young, if tax intially interests you, why not? Plenty of people leave tax to do something else, and in the first few years of your career, it's more about you learning to become the best professional/workplace leader/employee that you can be, not necessarily acquiring all the technical knowledge applicable to your field.

It seems that you have a few options; I say just go for the job, kick major butt, and then after 2-3 years, you'll probably have a better sense of what you'd like to do - I don't believe that you will feel "stuck". Using me as an example, I have been employed for a little over 2 years, (with Masters in Tax and CPA), yet I feel no regrets in pursuing a completely new and unrelated career path post-MBA (non-profit) - I am glad to have had the experience I've enjoyed, and feel like I've grown and learned much about myself as a person and as a professional in the past few years.

I hope this helped, and I wish you the best of luck in whichever path you decide to take in the future!
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Okay that was what I'm looking for. I'm not that young(late 20's) so I need to get rolling. I'm a vet so I have that going for me in terms of grad school.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts