Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
random6288 wrote:
The essay question is: Tell us about a time in your professional experience when you were frustrated or disappointed.

How important do you think it is that the answer to this question involve an experience that is actually from your job as opposed to a different leadership position??

I'd be careful and follow the directions completely. Don't want to give them the chance to ding you for not being able to read carefully and follow directions.

My $0.02
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Edit: Sign me up for R1!

Originally posted by Moss on 25 Aug 2010, 14:46.
Last edited by Moss on 28 Aug 2010, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
random6288 wrote:
The essay question is: Tell us about a time in your professional experience when you were frustrated or disappointed.

How important do you think it is that the answer to this question involve an experience that is actually from your job as opposed to a different leadership position? I am a recent college graduated attempting to answer this question with a story that is from a leadership position during college.

Alternatively, I could use the same story to answer the "What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?" question, but it just seems like a really good fit for the first one, minus the "professional" aspect.

To me it seems like it's not that important whether the story is from my actual job or another leadership role, since the qualities demonstrated would be the same. Thoughts?

I am not sure what the leadership position you're referring to was based off of. If it was from an internship or something, that could qualify as a professional experience. But most college experiences would count as personal or academic I think. Like someone said above, you might not want to take a chance, because HBS can afford to be picky about really trivial things like this. Try shooting them an email if you really want to write about this or ask one of the HBS admits on the forum for more advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q165 V161
GPA: 3.6
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
KingShark wrote:
I am in for Round 1

I'll be applying in Round 2. Please update the roll.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am applying to 2+2 in 2011 and would like an assessment of my application profile:

Program: Concurrently completing two degrees, one in Commerce and one in Life Sciences at top-tier Canadian University, Dean's List and National Millennium Scholar
GPA: 3.7 (approximate, school gives % rather than GPA)
GMAT: Scored 710 on Official GMAT practice, real thing next week
Business experience: Internship in Management Consulting, Internship at Boutique Investment Bank, Worked at Children's Hospital in Toronto
EC's: Internship at Hospital in Peru, Exchange to Singapore, Raised over $400,000 for United Way and received award for most successful campaign in Toronto, Executive for Finance Conference, Consulting Competition and Athletics Committee, Analyst on Investment Counsel, Board of Directors for Alzheimer's Society, Competitive Ski Racer and Coach, Winner of Entrepreneur Elevator Pitch Contest, Served as a Page in Ontario Government, Participated on 17 varsity teams in high school (captain on three occasions)

Is it worth a shot? My marks/GMAT aren't in the stratosphere but I really love the teaching style and philosophy of HBS and hope that with some hard work I can develop a competitive application!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
random6288 wrote:

How important do you think it is that the answer to this question involve an experience that is actually from your job as opposed to a different leadership position? I am a recent college graduated attempting to answer this question with a story that is from a leadership position during college.

Alternatively, I could use the same story to answer the "What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?" question, but it just seems like a really good fit for the first one, minus the "professional" aspect.

To me it seems like it's not that important whether the story is from my actual job or another leadership role, since the qualities demonstrated would be the same. Thoughts?

I am not sure what the leadership position you're referring to was based off of. If it was from an internship or something, that could qualify as a professional experience. But most college experiences would count as personal or academic I think. Like someone said above, you might not want to take a chance, because HBS can afford to be picky about really trivial things like this. Try shooting them an email if you really want to write about this or ask one of the HBS admits on the forum for more advice!

I actually asked them this question today. And it seems that the non profit expereice would be fine. The commincation below. I think they dont want us to talk about personal relationship which wharton allows us to do in their essay.

Mike,

Please be advised that this experience in non profit would be fine.

MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Boston, MA 02163
https://www.hbs.edu/mba

Mike Stan asks:

For the essay: Tell us about a time in your professional experience when you were frustrated or disappointed.
Will talking about my experience in my non-profit organization count as professional? Or does it have to be strictly from my full time job?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
+1 Round 1.
good luck to everybody!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
 Q50  V36 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Send PM
I'm also in for R1
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
HBS has three recommender questions they list on their website:
Quote:
Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)
Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)

But, they also state that there are other types of questions on the form which I cant access (unless I create a dummy account). Any idea what those are? Are these questions that require a written response or a rating?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Great stuff -- thanks!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Anyone have an answer to the question above?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:HBS (R2 - Ding no int), Wharton (R2 - Ding no int), Kellogg (R2 - Admitted!), Booth (R2 - Admitted!)
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 3 Years Boutique Management Consulting
Send PM
Targeting R1, but may push back depending on timing.

Just out of curiosity - How far back do we have to go for the "have you ever been suspended or placed on probation" question. Do they really care if we got into a fight in gym class freshman year of high school?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
JHam86 wrote:

Just out of curiosity - How far back do we have to go for the "have you ever been suspended or placed on probation" question. Do they really care if we got into a fight in gym class freshman year of high school?

well that depends -- did you win the fight?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:HBS (R2 - Ding no int), Wharton (R2 - Ding no int), Kellogg (R2 - Admitted!), Booth (R2 - Admitted!)
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 3 Years Boutique Management Consulting
Send PM
Moss wrote:
JHam86 wrote:

well that depends -- did you win the fight?

Of course not, but now we're getting into Wharton essays.

"Describe what you have learned from a failure".....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Applying Round 1:

Program: MBA FT
Area of interest in MBA: Finance
GMAT: 770 51Q/47V (I think?), 6.0 AWA
GPA: 3.8, Physics/Economics, Ivy, High Honors
Work experience: 2 years at IB (GS/MS), 2 years at MegaCap PE (worked in both Europe and the U.S., lots of HBS alumni), interned at M/B/B, board observer for a couple of our portfolio companies
Nationality: Asian
Languages: English
ECs: Kind of weak here. Couple of club presidencies in college, editorships at some newspapers, some involvement with tutoring etc, worked on a 5-6 different on-campus jobs, a ton of econ/finance research, thesis in Physics, study abroad in central Europe (do these count?), worked with a charity for a 7-8 months (nothing too great though). To be honest, work schedule is so brutal that I can't find time outside of work at all.... but I have some good work-related stuff though. Like, I am fairly active on our Company boards, interact with the CEO a lot etc. But I think that's common for PE applicants.

I think I can write some interesting essays (lots of travel, interesting experiences while working on campus in several different jobs etc.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Not that I'm applying but I like Harvard's essay questions.

•What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit)
•What have you learned from a mistake? (400-word limit)
•Please respond to two of the following (400-word limit each):
1.What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?
2.What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?
3.Tell us about a time in your professional experience when you were frustrated or disappointed.
4.When you join the HBS Class of 2013, how will you introduce yourself to your new classmates?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Please add me to R1. Godd luck everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts