Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Suggestions? 720: Q44 / V45 - super low quant! [#permalink]
Thanks for your input! Any reason you think that re: stern, yale, and sloan? Unfortunatel, CBS is probably my number one choice as Id like to stay in NY (and stern is kind of my "backup" NY option heh).

To answer your question about my practice exams... I never did a full exam including the AWA. I used GMATPrep a number of times (uninstalling / reinstalling). I also had the MGMAT CATs.

Here is the breakdown of my scores

First MGMAT CAT (also first GMAT test I've ever taken) back in February:
Combined score: 500 / Q28 / V31 (wow, embarrassing! haha). Because of this score, I felt totally discouraged. I knew my quant would be super rusty but I never imagined my verbal would be so disastrous. After this experience, I just dragged my feet about studying and kept going back and forth about whether or not an MBA was even right for me. Later on, after chatting with my friends, I kept hearing over and over that the MGMAT verbal was off and that real GMAT verbal is easy as pie. Feeling a little better, I decided to start studying for the GMAT again.

After about a month of lightly reviewing the math (no verbal review), I took another MGMAT CAT on 7/14/10):
Score: 700 / Q46 / V39 (Untimed) -- got my confidence back up... so I'm not an absolute dumbass! Looking back, I"m not really sure what went wrong with my verbal on that 500 score. Probably just flustered after the math.

After this 2nd CAT, I took my first GMATPrep CAT later in the week (don't have the date)
730 (did not record my Q/V raw scores this time since i didn't realize you can never return to that score screen! hehe I do know that I definitely had a lot of math Q's wrong and my verbal was very strong.)

Uhm, wow? Much better than 500! Also, what I took away from the GMATPrep CAT was that the verbal is way, way easier (or maybe just more logical) than the MGMAT and that I really didn't need to spend much time reviewing verbal.

From that point on, I stopped doing MGMAT CAT verbal all together. Waste of my time and not reflective, IMO, of the real thing.

8/1/2010 MGMAT CAT: Q45 (Timed)
8/9/2010 MGMAT CAT: Q47 (Timed)
8/10/2010 MGMAT CAT: Q49 (Timed)
8/14/2010 MGMAT CAT: Q43 (Timed, and also WTF???)

The slightly lower than ideal scores on MGMAT were not discouraging as I believe the MGMAT math Qs are a lot harder than the GMATPrep, OG, or real thing... at least in my experience (apparently not this morning!)

SOmewhere in between the MGMAT testing, I did a second GMATPrep:
750 (Q49 / V42)

And then finally after my horrible Q43 in MGMAT CAT, I did a reinstall of GMATPrep; did not notice any math repeat q's (yes repeats on verbal) and scored:
750 (Q48 / V45)

I basically started reviewing math in mid-June (so basically two months of study before my test this morning). I did all the OG12 and QR2 questions and went over my errors numerous times. I realize now my big fault was not timing myself for most of my studying. Also, I only reviewed the questions I got wrong on math untimed. THis meant a lot of the moderate questions I got right b/c I wasn't timing myself and probably spent 4-5min on, I never went back to review and check for the shortcuts! BIG mistake. I did not study verbal or AWA at all until this last week before the exam. I read through some sample AWAs and the MGMAT SC book quickly one night, did a handful of SC, RC, and CR questions from the OG (only the ones at the end of each section, ie the difficult ones) throughout the week and that was it.

If I do decide to retake, I will be going over all the math with a fine-toothed comb.

Also, I will hopefully be less stressed out/in need of the restroom/exhausted if I do decide to retake the exam.

Originally posted by closetsnob on 21 Aug 2010, 15:33.
Last edited by closetsnob on 21 Aug 2010, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
Unless you know for sure that you will absolutely, positively score in the 99th percentile, then it's better to just let it go. A 730 or even a 740 wouldn't make a measurable difference with your score. And no MBA program will reject you because your 720 is too low. They may reject you on other factors, though, such as your essays or recommendation letters - things that you need to focus on now. The GMAT is not the hardest part of the application process, so please don't underestimate the other parts.

Don't worry about the percentiles for verbal and quant. A 44Q, 45V is stunning and balanced. Besides, your overall percentile is 94. That's fantastic!

And what happens if you perform worse on the second attempt? A retake in your case is simply too risky and not worth the time or money. It may even be counterproductive, as a second attempt will take up your energy and time for the rest of the application process.

Good advice. I think I am still on the fence at the moment. I feel that I could definitely improve as it's unlikely my verbal will deteriorate since it's not like I studied for that portion anyway; on the other hand, the math is definitely something that can be improved with a lot of practice. But you are probably right. I'm just worried though about that 80th percentile "rule"!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Wow nice post. Are you sure MGMAT Verbal is that bad? I gave my MGMAT CAT today and got 660(Q44, V36). I am really surprised, I normally score more than 48 in quants.

You post was very useful and informative. I think it may be best for you to talk to an MBA consultant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lalithajob wrote:
Wow nice post. Are you sure MGMAT Verbal is that bad? I gave my MGMAT CAT today and got 660(Q44, V36). I am really surprised, I normally score more than 48 in quants.

You post was very useful and informative. I think it may be best for you to talk to an MBA consultant.

Hi, yes I think you're right. Maybe one of the consultants in the other branch of this forum will be better to ask.

RE: the MGMAT CAT and the verbal section, I truly think it's not an accurate assessment of the real GMAT. I mean just compare OG verbal questions with the MGMAT questions--you will see MGMAT is a lot more convoluted, not as precise in its answer choices, and just overall more tricky. Since my verbal is already really good, I felt trying to figure out the MGMAT trickery was more detrimental than good, but I think if your verbal is really weak, it is a good place to do some practice questions just to get used to--at the very least--reading. Besides, all the MGMAT questions come with detailed answers which do follow in the GMAT logic. It will help you, I'm sure, to go over those.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
if i get 720 i'll be jumping for joy!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts