Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3420 [396]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [253]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [65]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [34]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: masters in finance
 Q50  V48
GPA: ok this is the sad part
Send PM
Re: The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This question seems to have been mostly addressed, but I wanted to add a few small things.

Q40
The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological
stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders
so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed
to correct it.

A. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have
failed to correct it.
B. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct
C. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct them

NOTE: In A, B, and C, the phrases "so that" and "in that" would modify some kind of action, as in "He went to the store so that he could find Amy" or "It was a bad move in that it resulted in him getting dumped by Amy." We don't have an action we want to modify here (i.e., the only verb we have in the first half of the sentence is "are", and we're probably not modifying that).

D. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have
failed to correct
E. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct them

NOTE: D & E both correctly employ a relative pronoun to modify the final noun. The phrase beginning with "that" (a relative pronoun) thus modifies whatever word came before it. In this case, this final phrase must be modifying "managerial blunders", not the entirety of the list. For this reason, the "them" is majorly wrong. First, it is ambiguous (could refer to any individual plural noun in the list, or the whole list). Second, it is nonsense, because we're already in a modifying phrase, so there should be no need to point towards the noun we're talking about.

Word up.

Hope that helps!

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have
failed to correct

Treat the compound subject as a single plural subject because the compound subject is plural. (I choose bloopers)

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of bloopers that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct
The reason why we do not need ‘them; is because the relative clause (that several....) already modifies bloopers and we don’t need a ‘them’ to state bloopers again.

Quoting you "D & E both correctly employ a relative pronoun to modify the final noun. The phrase beginning with "that" (a relative pronoun) thus modifies whatever word came before it. In this case, this final phrase must be modifying "managerial blunders", not the entirety of the list."

'that' modifies all 3 reasons because all 3 reason together cause the problem and not 'mangerial blunders'. ( tommy, you are being to hard on the managers :P )

'that' modifies the noun phrase(all 3 compund nouns in this case, not managerial blunders' as u stated) it touches, the only probable exception to this rule could be when 'that' modifies object of prepostion'.

Originally posted by roshanaslam on 20 Aug 2010, 00:41.
Last edited by roshanaslam on 20 Aug 2010, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [31]
Send PM
Re: The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey All,

Yes, relative pronouns are bit wishy-washy this way. They can modify the entire noun phrase, but they can also just modify the last noun. Logic really dictates what's happening.

I am in love with my car and the girlfriend that I met last week.

Clearly "that I met last week" is not modifying both nouns, but only the last one. Think of the modifier as a kind of adjective.

I am in love with the time and money that this new job affords me.

Clearly "that this new job affords me" is modifying both "time" and "money".

Either of these is considered correct, as long as it's clear which is meant.

-t
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [22]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Munda,

Sure! Here's the sentence with answer choice E:

The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have
failed to correct them.

Starting with the relative pronoun "that", we have a modifying clause that is modifying "blunders". This is the antecedent of "them". However, there's no need to REFER to the very word that we're in the process of modifying. It would be like saying:

I'm waiting for the woman that I love her.

We don't need the pronoun "her," because we're actually MODIFYING the word "woman."

Hope that makes sense!

-t
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [9]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
singh_amit19 wrote:
The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

(A) so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it

(B) so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct

(C) in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them

(D) that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct

(E) that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them

This question is based on Modifiers and Construction.

The phrase ‘so that’ implies a reason.
I bought a cycle so that I could exercise everyday.

The use of this phrase implies that the first part of the sentence is a reason for the second part. Since this is not the intended meaning, the use of this phrase is inappropriate. So, Options A and B can be eliminated.

The phrase “in that” also implies an explanation or reason. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

Options D and E begin with the relative pronoun ‘that’. The relative pronoun refers to the noun placed immediately before it.

In Option D, the relative pronoun ‘that’ refers to the noun ‘managerial blunders’. The modifier “that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct” describes ‘managerial blunders. So, D is the best of all the options.

In Option E, the pronoun ‘them’ is ambiguous. If the relative pronoun ‘that’ refers to ‘managerial blunders’, there is no need for another pronoun to refer to the same noun. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, D is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The computer companys present troubles are a result of technological [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
singh_amit19 wrote:
The computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

(A) so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it

(B) so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct

(C) in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them

(D) that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct

(E) that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders, and several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct these blunders.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns + Idioms

• “in that” is used to reflect an intrinsic property and “because” is used to indicate a cause-effect relationship.
• "attempt + to" is the correct idiomatic construction.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders" with the singular pronoun "it". Further, Option A alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct the computer company's managerial blunders.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct the computer company's managerial blunders. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "attempts + at"; please remember, "attempt + to" is the correct idiomatic construction.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies"; the use of "in that" incorrectly implies that the fact that several attempts to revise corporate strategies failed to correct them is an intrinsic property of the computer company’s present troubles being a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders; the intended meaning is that the computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders, and several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct these blunders; remember, "in that" “in that” is used to reflect an intrinsic property. Further, Option C suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as it is unclear whether the pronoun "them" refers to "managerial blunders" or "corporate strategies". Additionally, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "attempts + at"; please remember, "attempt + to" is the correct idiomatic construction.

D: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct" to modify "managerial blunders", conveying the intended meaning - that the computer company’s present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders, and several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct these blunders. Further, Option D avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options A, C, and E, as it uses no pronouns. Additionally, Option D correctly uses the idiomatic construction "attempts + to".

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "have failed to correct them"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct the computer company's managerial blunders. Further, Option E suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as it is unclear whether the pronoun "them" refers to "managerial blunders" or "corporate strategies". Additionally, Option E incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "attempts + at"; please remember, "attempt + to" is the correct idiomatic construction.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: masters in finance
 Q50  V48
GPA: ok this is the sad part
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Yes, relative pronouns are bit wishy-washy this way. They can modify the entire noun phrase, but they can also just modify the last noun. Logic really dictates what's happening.

I am in love with my car and the girlfriend that I met last week.

Clearly "that I met last week" is not modifying both nouns, but only the last one. Think of the modifier as a kind of adjective.

I am in love with the time and money that this new job affords me.

Clearly "that this new job affords me" is modifying both "time" and "money".

Either of these is considered correct, as long as it's clear which is meant.

-t

tommy. thanks for the reply.
the is a verbal review question. question no. 87. quoting 'the verbal review', 'this sentence lists 3 causes of the company's troubles and suggests that the strategies to correct the cause have failed'

very clearly the strategies are for all the 3 nouns and not just ' managerial blunder'

though i understood what u tried to say in the first example('I am in love with my car and the girlfriend that I met last week') , wouldnt the gmat love to see a 'who' in place of a 'that' to refer to 'the girlfriend'?? yeah 'that' can refer to humans/objects/theories etc, but i guess gmat will make sure that 'who' refers to 'girlfriend' in this case.
PS: the new song 'whisper' is awesome.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [12]
Send PM
Kudos