Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [29]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
great guide! I did something similar when coaching recommenders.

Good work and thanks for sharing.
L.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just curious, is it possible for a recommender to edit her remarks after submitting (my application has not been submitted yet) ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow! This is extremely valuable. If I was to recommed someone, I'd want this resource.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you very much! This is very helpful!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Someone should make it a sticky (if its not sticky already).
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
A lot of information can be obtained if members take the time to read the information and visit the links in the posts titled Announcement: XYZ

We have taken a lot of care to organize the information in a logical (we think) way. Please take advantage of this.

thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
A lot of information can be obtained if members take the time to read the information and visit the links in the posts titled Announcement: XYZ

We have taken a lot of care to organize the information in a logical (we think) way. Please take advantage of this.

thanks

Praet:
I was thinking about ways to help new applicants find some of the stuff we posted - it might be helpful if the titles were more obvious. Instead of "Downloads," "Free Applicant Guides" might draw in more folks.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

thanks

Praet:
I was thinking about ways to help new applicants find some of the stuff we posted - it might be helpful if the titles were more obvious. Instead of "Downloads," "Free Applicant Guides" might draw in more folks.

Good idea. Its done and its a sticky.

thanks for the suggestion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
How about shading the announcements and stickys to a different color?

Praetorian wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

thanks

Praet:

Good idea. Its done and its a sticky.

thanks for the suggestion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Just curious, is it possible for a recommender to edit her remarks after submitting (my application has not been submitted yet) ?

anyone has an answer to this? I'm also interested :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Recommender Guide [#permalink]
In general, once the recommendation is submitted, it can not be editted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I don't think any recommender will read such a long guide, let alone be able to make sense of it (if he/she is not familiar with MBA applications). After over a year of hanging out in forums and having gone through the application process myself, I wonder why applicants believe this stuff is useful. Why would you want to "position" yourself? Why not be yourself; surely, a pattern should appear if you are not a fickle person that never sticks to anything. Anything else is contrived and can fall apart. Worse, why would you want to mess with what your recommender thinks of you by concerning him or her with positioning, branding and the like. I find that other people are more aware of and can better articulate my positive qualities.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in coaching recommenders, but a 2-page introduction to a guide with additional documents? who has enough time to read that. A 30minute to 1 hour discussion of goals, strengths and weakness will probably suffice. A resume is definitely necessary; some writing samples of recommendations probably also a good idea because I find a lot of people don't know how to write a competitive recommendation. Just my thoughts. What do you guys think?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
bschbound wrote:
I don't think any recommender will read such a long guide, let alone be able to make sense of it (if he/she is not familiar with MBA applications). After over a year of hanging out in forums and having gone through the application process myself, I wonder why applicants believe this stuff is useful. Why would you want to "position" yourself? Why not be yourself; surely, a pattern should appear if you are not a fickle person that never sticks to anything. Anything else is contrived and can fall apart. Worse, why would you want to mess with what your recommender thinks of you by concerning him or her with positioning, branding and the like. I find that other people are more aware of and can better articulate my positive qualities.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in coaching recommenders, but a 2-page introduction to a guide with additional documents? who has enough time to read that. A 30minute to 1 hour discussion of goals, strengths and weakness will probably suffice. A resume is definitely necessary; some writing samples of recommendations probably also a good idea because I find a lot of people don't know how to write a competitive recommendation. Just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

I agree that meeting with the recommender directly would be more useful. Perhaps the guide should be discussed during the meeting. In my case, my recommenders are in a different country so I definitely plan on using the guide (after making my own edits). I definitely think 2 pages is a bit much.. I plan to condense it to 1 page. Also this guide talks a lot about how to write the letter when most apps don't require a letter but answers to specific questions.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Just what I wanted.

My recommender has asked me to prepare a draft of the content to be included.
This helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Great stuff, forgot to say thanks awhile ago.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Is there a guide to select recommenders? I know the generic guidelines that one should have closely worked with the recommender etc etc but how important are their credentials and acheivements? Does anyone know if schools conduct background checks on the recommenders??
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2