Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [125]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [30]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
DS - Divisibility & Primes (600-700) [#permalink]
Seven different numbers are selected from the integers 1 to 100, and each number is divided by 7. What is the sum of the remainders?

1. The range of the seven remainders is 6.
2. The seven numbers selected are consecutive integers

I've read the solutions both within the OG and within Manhattan GMAT's Official Guide Companion. I disagree with the answer they are presenting. If anyone can please explain the concept I'm missing I would greatly appreciate it!

FYI, when figuring out this problem, I chose the following seven consecutive integers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Based on my knowledge the sum of the remainders when divided by 7 = 3 (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 2 = 3). It's getting late so perhaps I'm missing something simple here, but choosing these numbers, from my perspective, negates the explanation/answer given.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [2]
Send PM
Re: DS - Divisibility & Primes (600-700) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
cgl7780 wrote:
Seven different numbers are selected from the integers 1 to 100, and each number is divided by 7. What is the sum of the remainders?

1. The range of the seven remainders is 6.
2. The seven numbers selected are consecutive integers

I've read the solutions both within the OG and within Manhattan GMAT's Official Guide Companion. I disagree with the answer they are presenting. If anyone can please explain the concept I'm missing I would greatly appreciate it!

FYI, when figuring out this problem, I chose the following seven consecutive integers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Based on my knowledge the sum of the remainders when divided by 7 = 3 (0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 2 = 3). It's getting late so perhaps I'm missing something simple here, but choosing these numbers, from my perspective, negates the explanation/answer given.

Red part in your solution is not correct.

Positive integer \(a\) divided by positive integer \(d\) yields a reminder of \(r\) can always be expressed as \(a=qd+r\), where \(q\) is called a quotient and \(r\) is called a remainder, note here that \(0\leq{r}<d\) (remainder is non-negative integer and always less than divisor).

So according to above, when positive integer \(a\) is less than divisor \(d\) then remainder upon division \(a\) by \(d\) is always equals to \(a\), for example 5 divided by 10 yields reminder of 5. So when 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 is divided by 7 remainder is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 respectively.

Or algebraically: 3 divided by 7 can be expressed as \(3=0*7+3\), so \(r=3\).

For complete solution of this problem above posts.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Re: Sum of Remainders [#permalink]
Thank you for the explanation, yes I believe my exhaustion was getting to me. I completely understand why I was calculating incorrect remainders. When we divide 3 by 7, 7 goes into 3, 0 times but there is three left over still, so r = 3. Very basic mistake on my part.

So taking my original set (referencing statement 2): {3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}
Remainders would be; 3, 4, 5, 6, 0, 1, 2
Therefore yeilding; 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 0 + 1 + 2 = 21

Thank you very much for the explanation and for the reference to other explanations. + 1 Kudos!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Number properties (remainder) Data suffiencey [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
maitri_mehta wrote:
Q32:
(1) The range of the seven remainders is 6.
(2) The seven numbers selected are consecutive integers.

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

The first thing to note here is that when a number is divided by 7, it can give one of the following numbers as remainder 0/1/2/3/4/5/6. There can be no other remainder.
Stmnt 1: This implies that one remainder has to be 0 and another has to be 6. That is how we will get the range (greatest - smallest) = 6-0 = 6. But we do not know anything about the other remainders. They could be 1,1,1,1,1 or 1,2,2,6,6 etc. Hence the sum of the remainders is not known.

Stmnt 2: Note that when I divide 10 by 7, I get 3 as remainder. When I divide 11 by 7, I get 4 as remainder. When I divide 12 by 7, I get 5 as remainder. So when I divide consecutive integers by the same number, the remainders will also be consecutive (I will get 3, 4, 5, 6 and then back to 0, 1, 2 as remainders). If the seven numbers selected are consecutive, the remainders will also be consecutive i.e. they will be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (or 3, 4, 5, 6, 0, 1, 2 ) or any such sequence. In any case, the sum of the remainders will be 0+1+2+3+4+5+6 = 21. Sufficient.
Answer (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Seven different numbers are selected from the integers 1 to [#permalink]
Quote:
7, 13, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42
remainder = 0,6,0,0,0,0,0. = range 6 sum of remainders = 6

How is the range = 6?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashikshetty wrote:
Quote:
7, 13, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42
remainder = 0,6,0,0,0,0,0. = range 6 sum of remainders = 6

How is the range = 6?

The range of a set is the difference between the largest and smallest elements of a set. So, the range of {0, 6, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} is 6 - 0 = 0.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM