Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Re: Can I also - GMAT Story [#permalink]
Dreamy,

It appears that you are pretty good at quant. You said you got a Q46, so with some amount of practice you should be back on track in this section.

If I were you I would concentrate more on verbal - about 70% of my time (more on SC, a little less on CR, and sometime on RC). You can definitely improve from a level of V22. You should be able to reach V31-32 in about 1.5 months time. Beyond that you'll have to make another push to cross V35-36.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

For improving your quantitative score, I think gmat club tests are great. These are really challanging problems & if one goes through these with practice, the probability of getting a near 50 Q score increases.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will stop looking at too many prep material. I wish I can take a mock test soon and find my level of practice to go further in the game. But I feel if I score very low in the mock, my confidence level will get crushed.

I have read GMAT club tests being hard compare to other quant material. Do you think, I will be able to learn from it as I am still struggling with Quant.

Dony worry for your confidence level going down after first CAT. I got a 590 in my first gmat prep 30 days before my real test & after 30 days I got a 680 in real test. First two CATs serve the purpose of getting used to the mock test, after that one comes to rythem. After completing 5 or 10 CATs, whatever the case, one gets a clear picture of his/her ability.

Gmat Club Tests are aimed at students getting Q45-46 & who want to get Q 50. If you are currently scoring Q 45-47 then you can go for gmat club tests.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
...I wish I can take a mock test soon and find my level of practice to go further in the game. But I feel if I score very low in the mock, my confidence level will get crushed.

I have read GMAT club tests being hard compare to other quant material. Do you think, I will be able to learn from it as I am still struggling with Quant.

Don't worry if you have a low score in any mock test. It doesn't mean that's your level. With time and effort you can improve, so the earlier you take it the better. All test takers improve as they get comfortable with the type of questions (common patterns) and when they figure out issues of timing. (I use this for Quant - 5: 65:00; 10:55:00; 15:45:00.../ Verbal: 5: 68:00; 10:59:00;...)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you Akaydee. I will try to take a mock test this week.

I am including GMAT club tests in the things to do.

New things to do
Complete master gmat course
Work on OG Quant and Verbal Guides
Work on OG11 and OG12
Take GMATClub quant tests (I am yet to buy this)
Take MGMAT tests
Take GMATPrep tests

While I was doing the master gmat course, i was able to do well on most of the sentence correction questions yesterday. After the first Tutor session, I was able to capture the issues which I was missing in the Subject Verb agreement questions. I used to make too many mistakes when the Subject comes after the Verb before the tutor session. Now, with little more attention I am able to crack those questions.

On Quant, I am making too many mistakes on the Word problems. Before even reading the question, I tend to lose confidence in completing the question on time. I have completed MGMAT word translation book. May be the questions I see in master gmat is of higher difficulty. Not sure.

I have decided to complete the master gmat course, as I could practice either at home or at work. I don't need a book.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MGMAT (Manhattan GMAT) quant questions are definitely harder than the quant questions on the real thing. You already have a lot on your plate for a 15 day time frame, so GMAT Club tests at this stage might not be a good idea. But who knows you might be able to pull it off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Akadee,
No way I am taking the final CAT in 15 days. I haven't even taken my first practice test so far. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
Akadee,
No way I am taking the final CAT in 15 days. I haven't even taken my first practice test so far. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

I am sorry I was under the impression you are taking the exam in 15 days. My bad.

As a number of users have said the GMAT Club tests are great for those wanting to get a high score on the quant.

Take a mock test (you don't have to tell us the score :wink: ). It will give you a baseline from where to start.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 620  Q51  V23
Send PM
Take my words.....for quant Go for GMAT CLUB TESTS !!!

my quant score of 51 vouches for their authenticity...... I have improved from Q44 to Q51 by using these tests....You dont need anything else..

GOOD LUCK !!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you mustdoit for your advice. I like your id.

I am going to take gmat club tests starting 12th september, if I stick to my schedule.

I am mustering confidence to take a mock test on 4th September. Why do I dread so much to take this mock, did I give enough respect for this test in the past? I have made the mistake of misjudging it three times.

I would surely get more than 4 hours of prep time this weekend. I am planning to take mgmat1 on 4th september 2010. The results on this test will provide me the indicator to decide on the final date with the gmat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yesterday, I couldn't spend even a single minute for preparation as I had loads of work. Today, I am not able to sit at work and focus on work. My mind keep reminding me of the unfinished home work. Hopefully, I can catchup for the lost time this weekend.

May be I should register for the exam immediately, that will provide the needed pressure for the preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Currently, preparing using master gmat verbal section. RCs doesn't seem to resemble OG at all. I am feeling frustrated to practice with this material as I am getting every single question wrong. SC and CR material were better. As this test is adaptive, till i master this topic its not going to give up on me. What should I do? may be I should start practice using OG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I am not really satisfied with my verbal practice on master gmat. I am going to stop working on that as I feel I am wasting my time going through tons of reading comprehension questions, which are not representative of official questions. Planning to re-read mgmat sentence correction guide and start doing the official guide sc-s, manhattangmat forum sc-s and gmatclub forum sc-s.

For reading comprehension, I am going to focus on lsat questions for now. After getting continuous errors in master gmat reading comprehension questions, I did a lsat reading comprehension passage, six out of eight questions were right with timed practice.

After wasting few days of practice using master gmat, i am revisiting my study plan. I would like to complete two quant guides before doing mgmat first practice test. please let me know your suggestions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Took the first mgmat test today. Though I did the test with the mindset of any score above 580 was good score, I am very disappointed with the result.

MGMAT CAT#1 - 630 (Q44, V32)

On initial review, the following are the findings.
PS - 59%
DS - 47%
Worst in quant is Word translations - 18%. I am getting lost in the translation. Any suggestions are welcome.

Neither in quant nor in verbal the hit rate is better for 600-700 level questions. Higher the difficulty of the questions the lower is my score. Every single section seems to need improvement. Its time to focus and do systematic study otherwise, I might not able to improve my score.

Only in sc, I am getting into trouble for questions at 500-600 level. I am having lot of trouble with idioms, pronouns and subject verb agreement.
SC - 40%
CR - 57%
RC - 58%
In crs, i am making lot of mistakes in conclusion questions. I got false confidence and comfort by doing master gmat. Its time to pay homage to the power god which I didn’t touch after opening it from the amazon package.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I have started hitting hard on the powerscore cr bible. Of all the questions in gmat I enjoy doing cr questions the most. So it is not hard to go through this book. Reading this book makes me feel how i can answer a cr question wrong still feel right. This learning could help me in identifying the answer choices in rcs also.

Must be true questions are the focus of the day. The following is what I have learnt today.
Correct answers - Must be true questions
1. Paraphrased answer choices
2. Answers that are the sum of two or more stimulus statements
Wrong answers
1. Could be true or likely to be true answers
2. Exaggerated answers
3. Answers which provide entirely new information
4. The shell game
5. The opposite answer
6. The reverse answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Good Luck! You can do this! Remember your not alone in this. Many like you have tried HARD and are still trying so keep it up
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
keep going with the updates
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Dreamy,

Looks like you are having some trouble with verbal. I read this post by BB, it is great:

study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

Hope this helps,
Dawg
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts