Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Re: Considering Retaking 760 (Q49 / V44) [#permalink]
I would say ZERO impact. And say you take it again and get a lower score then? Is the risk worth it? Many would kill to have that score, time is better spent on other parts of the app.. Thats just me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
I would suggest to better concentrate on your application rather than retaking the GMAT.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow - retake with 760. You make me feel insecure with my lowly 750

When are your 5 Applications due? (in a month or two?) Do you have all the essays, recommendations, resumes, etc put together? They are a lot of work - ask anyone. If you come in with 790 and crummy essays, you are toast. 760 and Great essays are a much better situation. With high GMAT, poor essays, and poor GPA, you will come off really one-sided. Top 5 don't care about the gmat score once you are past 700. Moreover, they only care about the score being balanced and Q score being high enough.

Take a look here: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html for a bit
You are not guaranteed a higher score with a retake - esp when you climb that high. You have 99th percentile - you are at the top and I doubt the scores will inflate enough for the percentile to drop in the next few years. You can put it on your resume "GMAT - 99th percentile" and you can also teach for a prep company (the best ones that require 99th percentile).

I see very little value in retaking but if anything I learned about MBA applicants, it is that they are stubborn and have a clear goal, so I won't keep you from it either, but still, keep in mind - not a great investment of your time if you plan to spend a bunch on studying.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
On a slightly different perspective, I think it might be suicidal to retake. A 760 more than compensates for a 3.0, which in itself is not bad. Retaking might signal the adcoms to think that you're score obsessed more than practical, and that's never a good thing. That's just my opinion, but I'd never retake a 760, not only because it's a fantastic score in the first place but because there's a really low return-on-investment in this. There's little room for improvement of any sort and like I mentioned you don't want the adcoms thinking you're just obsessed with numbers. I'd write compelling essays. :)
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
You should retake only when you have a solid explanation for retaking. IMO Adcoms will reject the application with retake of 760. I agree with whiplash, they do not need people who can score 780+.

Gmat is very important. But once you cross the threshold 730 or 750 for any college then it really does not matter.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Okay, okay, you guys have convinced me. Thank you all for your candid responses.

I certainly don't want to risk AdComs thinking poorly of me.

bb is right though - I just KNOW I could do better and it kinda impractically drives me to want to show myself that I can do better. Given that, maybe I'll try again some other day.

Thanks once more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [1]
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Kudos
you need to retake. 760 is pathetic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
shorteverything wrote:
you need to retake. 760 is pathetic

Agreed, based on his name he is from the mainland. Average is about 785.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
LOL Dawg/Short. Pathetic, apparently.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Don't see any sense in retaking. A 780~790 from 760 wouldn't change anything. Anything above 730 is good enough and you can be assured that you will not get rejected based on your GMAT. For some reason a lot of people think that a bad essay or slightly low GPA can be balanced by a high GMAT score. IMO, not true at all. 790 on GMAT will not change my GPA from 2.5 to 3.5. Do not compare apples and oranges. GMAT and GPA have their own importance and can't be interchanged.

Good luck with your apps.
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Agree with fellow posters - there would be no practical benefit from retaking.

Also, when I started working on my apps, I soon realized, that taking GMAT is probably the easiest part of whole application process. There is a LOT of arguably more important stuff to do (writing good essays just for instance)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Retake! Are you kidding?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
shalva wrote:
Agree with fellow posters - there would be no practical benefit from retaking.

Also, when I started working on my apps, I soon realized, that taking GMAT is probably the easiest part of whole application process. There is a LOT of arguably more important stuff to do (writing good essays just for instance)

Same here , once I started on the apps, I can see that GMAT was the easier part.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Well... I'll give you another perspective that's different from most here.

If I were in your shoes, I would retake it given that I'm about 100% confident I can do better (770 or above).

I'm actually in a somewhat similiar situation. I scored a 730 almost a month ago (albeit not as high of a score as yours), but my GMATprep range was about 40 to 50 points higher than that score. I also have a low GPA (3.1) so I needed to do all that I can to make up for the poor score. I'm not completely confident in scoring above 760, but I think I can at least do better than 730.

So go ahead if you're fairly comfortable in getting a 770 or better! GOOD LUCK!

(I'm doing my retake this 20th...)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I also want to add that if there is anything to better your chances, why not go for it? I have enough time to complete my essays (pretty much finished with Stanford's, Wharton's, and Chicago's already) and also I spoke with my recommenders and detailed out what I needed from them (i.e., a detail description of my work quality, leadership skills with a good list of vivid examples/anecdotes). The other parts of my application are pretty much trivial compared to these two things (well, maybe 3 things if you include the resume). So getting a better GMAT score seemed the next best thing for me to improve my chances. Even if the benefits are marginal, spending the next 3 weeks (1 hour per day) to get a 30+ point above the prior score seemed like a good tradeoff to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
QiuYidio , i am fairly sure your 20-40 extra points will not make Big difference. therefore i ve heard that
800 score could be counted even as disadvantage and some top b-schools have even rejected a number of 800 score applicants . concentrate 100 % on essays and recommendations , they are a lot more important for you Now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
QiuYidio , Could you share your strategies and the books you used? (especially Verbal ) ?
thx
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts