Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Advice Needed on this score - GMAT Score 640, AWA 5.5 [#permalink]
Thanks Linda I am very grateful to you for the post, it would be kind of you if you can share more information with me about the schools where I would stand a chance of acceptance and are good enough for a 5 years experience guy like me.

My plan is that as per your suggestion i would definitely apply to school number 6 and 7 (Nanyang and NUS) as mentioned in the above list in the first round and simultaneously would be preparing to retake GMAT so that i can apply to the colleges 1 to 5(ISB, LBS, INSEAD, Chicago Booth, HAAS) as mentioned in the list in the second round.

But why i am asking for information about other schools is that i can apply with 640 score to them in their first round along with Nanyang and NUS and if i do not get a good score in my GMAT retake then at least i have something in my hand.

Eagerly waiting for your response !!

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sachinrelan wrote:
Thanks Linda I am very grateful to you for the post, it would be kind of you if you can share more information with me about the schools where I would stand a chance of acceptance and are good enough for a 5 years experience guy like me.

My plan is that as per your suggestion i would definitely apply to school number 6 and 7 (Nanyang and NUS) as mentioned in the above list in the first round and simultaneously would be preparing to retake GMAT so that i can apply to the colleges 1 to 5(ISB, LBS, INSEAD, Chicago Booth, HAAS) as mentioned in the list in the second round.

But why i am asking for information about other schools is that i can apply with 640 score to them in their first round along with Nanyang and NUS and if i do not get a good score in my GMAT retake then at least i have something in my hand.

Eagerly waiting for your response !!

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin

You're most welcome, but what do you want to do after you MBA?

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Linda..Trust you are doing well..!

To be frank i not so very sure what i would like to do after MBA,

but right now i feel something in "Marketing, Finance or Consulting" excites me.

lest my mind changes in between.

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi

I'm in a similar scenario - just wrote my gmat got a score of 640. Don't know if I'll be able to improve on that score if I write again. Haven't received my AWA scores yet.
I've done my BE in Computer Science and chose to switch streams after that and joined an advertising firm here in India.
Experience: 2+ years as a Planner in advertising.

Initially intended to apply to:
INSEAD
ISB - Hyderabad
SP Jain
NUS
NTU

I know now that INSEAD, is DEFINITELY out of the range of this score now. Possibly the others too. Intend to pursue an MBA in Marketing.

I'd initially considered McCombs - but excluded it realistically after seeing my practice test scores.. Do you think it's worth trying for McCombs?

Would anyone here have any information about where I could apply?
Will check out the links posted.

Thanks.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sachinrelan wrote:
Hi Linda..Trust you are doing well..!

To be frank i not so very sure what i would like to do after MBA,

but right now i feel something in "Marketing, Finance or Consulting" excites me.

lest my mind changes in between.

Thanks and Regards,
Sachin

One piece of advice I can give you is to narrow your goal. That is an expression of interest, not a goal.

I'm sorry, but I really don't have enough information to advise you. Look for programs with average GMATs at matriculation closer to yours in the locations where you would like to live for at least a couple of years, if not longer. Check out their placement record. If you are interested in international business, check out Darla Moore (U of South Carolina) and Thunderbird.

Best,
Linda
sushan23 wrote:
Hi

I'm in a similar scenario - just wrote my gmat got a score of 640. Don't know if I'll be able to improve on that score if I write again. Haven't received my AWA scores yet.
I've done my BE in Computer Science and chose to switch streams after that and joined an advertising firm here in India.

INSEAD
ISB - Hyderabad
SP Jain
NUS
NTU

I know now that INSEAD, is DEFINITELY out of the range of this score now. Possibly the others too. Intend to pursue an MBA in Marketing.

I'd initially considered McCombs - but excluded it realistically after seeing my practice test scores.. Do you think it's worth trying for McCombs?

Thanks.
sushan23 wrote:
Hi

INSEAD
ISB - Hyderabad
SP Jain
NUS
NTU

Thanks.

What do you want to do with your MBA?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Post my MBA, I'd like to get into brand management.
FMCG ideally.
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sushan23 wrote:
Post my MBA, I'd like to get into brand management.
FMCG ideally.

You might want to consider Indiana Kelley and Vanderbilt.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Linda,
I am from Chicago area, with almost 10 yrs of experience in software planning and development.
I got a 640 and was planning to apply for part time program in Booth and Kellogs. I heard from my colleagues and friends that though the average score is around 680 in these schools; they have seen people with a score of 640 getting admission. I was planning to concentrate on my application/essays rather than on retaking GMAT.
What do you suggest? Do you think I stand a chance?
I am planning to get into Consulting.
Send PM
Expert Reply
maximus76 wrote:
Hi Linda,
I am from Chicago area, with almost 10 yrs of experience in software planning and development.
I got a 640 and was planning to apply for part time program in Booth and Kellogs. I heard from my colleagues and friends that though the average score is around 680 in these schools; they have seen people with a score of 640 getting admission. I was planning to concentrate on my application/essays rather than on retaking GMAT.
What do you suggest? Do you think I stand a chance?
I am planning to get into Consulting.

While a few people may get in with a 640, there numbers are declining. They may be from under-represented minorities and/or have stellar qualifications including good grades in college.

If you think you can raise your GMAT, I recommend retaking it.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Linda,
I am a 26 y/o female that would like to apply to Booth's PT program by 12/31:

I received a 640 and AWA 6 on the gmat

I would like to take the GMAT again to raise my score but I do not have time before 12/31. The reason I am trying to apply by 12/31 is so that I can use a 'Pass it Along' coupon that I received from a friend / current PT student that will expire. I've heard these application coupons help tremendously in the admissions process?

I have 3.2 GPA in Accounting from a Top 25 school
Very Good EC's Post-college: Hold elected positions on two junior boards (4+ extensive years of service at each), incredibly strong EC's in college
Very Strong Career Growth: Promoted twice in 4 yrs (At Big 4 / currently a Finance Manager at Fortune 20)
In addition to the coupon, I have two character references from Booth Alum

With my GMAT score being lower - is the rest enough to get me in? Should I let the coupon expire and just re-take the GMAT?
Send PM
Expert Reply
PTChick wrote:
Hi Linda,
I am a 26 y/o female that would like to apply to Booth's PT program by 12/31:

I received a 640 and AWA 6 on the gmat

I would like to take the GMAT again to raise my score but I do not have time before 12/31. The reason I am trying to apply by 12/31 is so that I can use a 'Pass it Along' coupon that I received from a friend / current PT student that will expire. I've heard these application coupons help tremendously in the admissions process?

I have 3.2 GPA in Accounting from a Top 25 school
Very Good EC's Post-college: Hold elected positions on two junior boards (4+ extensive years of service at each), incredibly strong EC's in college
Very Strong Career Growth: Promoted twice in 4 yrs (At Big 4 / currently a Finance Manager at Fortune 20)
In addition to the coupon, I have two character references from Booth Alum

With my GMAT score being lower - is the rest enough to get me in? Should I let the coupon expire and just re-take the GMAT?

I don't think these coupons have much "influence" in evaluating a candidate's application, especially for a part-time program which tends to be more local. I certainly don't believe they will carry as much weight as the GMAT.

I think it makes more sense to retake the GMAT and apply with a more competitive score.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I have a GMAT score of 640. And doesnt know yet how my AWA have faired. Im interested in doing Management in Information Technology systems. Can someone suggest colleges which i can apply with the current GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Hi,

I have a worse case.
I gave GMAT 3 months ago and scored 640. Yesterday, I gave GMAT again and my score got worse - 580.
I want to apply at NUS, Nanyang, HKUST.
Just wanted to know whether these schools will take my previous score or they will take the average of 2 scores?

Pls. help...
Send PM
Expert Reply
ravstime wrote:
Hi,

I have a worse case.
I gave GMAT 3 months ago and scored 640. Yesterday, I gave GMAT again and my score got worse - 580.
I want to apply at NUS, Nanyang, HKUST.
Just wanted to know whether these schools will take my previous score or they will take the average of 2 scores?

Pls. help...

I'm not positive, but I believe that all 3 schools officially use the highest score (they will see both scores), but you may need to check directly with them.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Linda,
I have one question? if someone seeks a consulting career after his MBA, does the Gmat score matter, keeping in mind the candidate is already in B-school (ex. Insead or Darden) with a score of 640/680.
Send PM
Expert Reply
nadeemkamal wrote:
Hi Linda,
I have one question? if someone seeks a consulting career after his MBA, does the Gmat score matter, keeping in mind the candidate is already in B-school (ex. Insead or Darden) with a score of 640/680.

My understanding is that some of the elite consulting firms use the GMAT as an initial screening tool and 700 is the cut-off.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
nadeemkamal wrote:
Hi Linda,

My understanding is that some of the elite consulting firms use the GMAT as an initial screening tool and 700 is the cut-off.

Best,
Linda

ThanQ Linda.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2