Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: 520 GMAT I, is it worth applying anywhere? [#permalink]
hey fstep,
i know someone who got 440 and was accepted by univ. of Alberta MBA program (Canadian school) I have no idea about the program's ranking, but its is a reputable univ. here in Canada, so you never know until you apply, no harm trying?
and no he didn't know anyone higher up :)
so Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V41
Send PM
no
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
fstep, to answer this question, you need to assess how well you can use other parts of your application to overcome your score.

Just looking at how your score compares to top 50-100 programs, your score is below the median score (545) for Miami University in Ohio (ranked #97 by US News) and I imagine will be slightly below the median for most schools near that 100 ranking. University of Texas at Dallas, ranked #50 by US News, has a median GMAT of 660 and the middle 80% of the student body scored between a 570 and a 760.

On the other hand, 50% of students at Miami University scored below a 545. So, I would say that if you are targeting programs comparable to this one, and you can take the time to put together some solid applications, you probably have a decent chance of getting into a program that suits your needs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
fstep, the gmat is just part of your app. like others mentioned there are "miracle stories" of folks getting in with very low (compared to avg) gmat scores. If you think you have no time to retake and you think you did your best out there then dont retake - but if you think you can squeeze out 50 or so points try that since honestly it will be easier to get up from a 520 since you probably need to brush up on more of the basics than getting into hardcore stuff. How is your gpa - is it decent enough to maybe even the gmat out a little?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
fstep, the gmat is just part of your app. like others mentioned there are "miracle stories" of folks getting in with very low (compared to avg) gmat scores. If you think you have no time to retake and you think you did your best out there then dont retake - but if you think you can squeeze out 50 or so points try that since honestly it will be easier to get up from a 520 since you probably need to brush up on more of the basics than getting into hardcore stuff. How is your gpa - is it decent enough to maybe even the gmat out a little?

well took the general advice and retook the test. got a 580 this time with an even lower quant but a very high verbal. gpa is 3.62 so that might help some and i have a pretty unique story. i just finished my apps will let you all know how it went in a month i suppose.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga requires a 450 minimum GMAT. They also have the GMAT and GPA calculation as well. I'm not sure if they would be considered Teir 3 or not, but they get very solid reviews fro Princeton Review. I'm sure there are other schools out there the same.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
tier 3 skoolzzz ftw!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts