Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3177 [71]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [76]
Given Kudos: 130
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619023 [28]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if x and y are each less than 90 and PS [#permalink]
Kudos
Exactly the explanation given by Bunuel... +1 for A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [19]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MisterEko wrote:
Guys,
as my G-day is approaching, I am putting more and more effort in improving my Quant. However, I seem to have troubles with some basic concepts. Below are the 5 questions which I know have simple explanations but are for some reason difficult for me to understand. If you can explain the solutions for any of them, I would greatly appreciate it! Cheers! :war

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Note that the shortest distance between two parallel lines is the perpendicular distance. As the angle keeps decreasing, the length of the line keeps increasing. So if we know that x>y, then PQ < SR. Stmnt 1 Sufficient.

Attachment:
Ques1.jpg
Ques1.jpg [ 2.61 KiB | Viewed 65189 times ]

Since statement 2 doesn't give any information about relative size of x and y, nothing can be said about PQ and SR. Not sufficient.

Answer (A).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
If the statement didn't contain the restriction about x and y(both are less than 90),then answer would have been "E".
Am I correct in this assessment?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619023 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
In the figure above, if x and y are each less than 90 and PS [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vjsharma25 wrote:
If the statement didn't contain the restriction about x and y(both are less than 90),then answer would have been "E".
Am I correct in this assessment?

Yes, if we were not given that x and y are each less than 90 then PQ and SR could be mirror images of each other and thus have equal length.
Attachments

untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG [ 38.85 KiB | Viewed 33131 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi guys,

I went through the task and argued similar we would have argued in a triangle.
The side which is opposite the smaller angle is also the smaller side. (in a triangle)
But here in a polygon this argumentation doesnt hold.

Because I thought SR is smaller than PQ because angle x is smaller than (180-y).

After reading your explanations I totally get your point, but I dont understand why we can't argue the same way we do with
triangles.

Thanks !
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatstrong wrote:
Hi guys,

I went through the task and argued similar we would have argued in a triangle.
The side which is opposite the smaller angle is also the smaller side. (in a triangle)
But here in a polygon this argumentation doesnt hold.

Because I thought SR is smaller than PQ because angle x is smaller than (180-y).

After reading your explanations I totally get your point, but I dont understand why we can't argue the same way we do with
triangles.

Thanks !

First of all, think, which side of the quadrilateral is the opposite side to any given angle. Look at the diagram, the angle has 2 sides opposite to it (which don't form the angle). You can make one of the opposite sides smaller and the other greater at whim. So there is no defined relation between the angle and the opposite sides.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 4.6 KiB | Viewed 56502 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma Can you elaborate this explanation from scratch. Not able to understand what all rules it is using concerning the parallel lines given. Cannot understand Bunuel's post.

Thanks!

ucb2k7

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MisterEko wrote:
Guys,
as my G-day is approaching, I am putting more and more effort in improving my Quant. However, I seem to have troubles with some basic concepts. Below are the 5 questions which I know have simple explanations but are for some reason difficult for me to understand. If you can explain the solutions for any of them, I would greatly appreciate it! Cheers! :war

Note that the shortest distance between two parallel lines is the perpendicular distance. As the angle keeps decreasing, the length of the line keeps increasing. So if we know that x>y, then PQ < SR. Stmnt 1 Sufficient.

Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

Since statement 2 doesn't give any information about relative size of x and y, nothing can be said about PQ and SR. Not sufficient.

Answer (A).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ucb2k7 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma Can you elaborate this explanation from scratch. Not able to understand what all rules it is using concerning the parallel lines given. Cannot understand Bunuel's post.

Thanks!

ucb2k7

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MisterEko wrote:
Guys,

Attachment:
Ques1.jpg

Answer (A).

You are given that PS is parallel to QR. The shortest distance between these two lines will be the perpendicular distance as shown by the solid line between them in the diagram above (https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-figur ... ml#p829762)

Now as you turn the line towards the right (as shown by dotted lines above) the angle at the base keeps reducing. Consider two such lines PQ and SR. If the angle x is greater than angle y, it means PQ is less tilted than SR. So PQ is closer to the perpendicular line than is SR. So PQ is shorter than SR.

Does this help?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts