Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [50]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [20]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Botanists have proven that if plants extended laterally beyond the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
The sentence is an if...then construct where the outcome in the original sentence (growing) happens in the future compared to the action (extend laterally). In such a case the tense sequence should be Simple Present + Simple Future ... so (e) also sounds more appropriate from the point of view of tense

(refer : manhattan sentence correction guide page 113 rule 3)

another mistake in the original sentence is the use of "Slower" as opposed to "more slowly" which is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Botanists have proven that if plants extended laterally beyond the [#permalink]
Using split,one can eliminate the first two choices,extend over extending.D is wordy with inappropriate usage of they would have grown more...
Down to C and E.Than do those in E is incorrect comparison.Hence C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
suyashjhawar wrote:
Using split,one can eliminate the first two choices,extend over extending.D is wordy with inappropriate usage of they would have grown more...
Down to C and E.Than do those in E is incorrect comparison.Hence C.

can you elaborate why E is incorrect? in my opinion the comparison is correct.
'If plants extend.....they will grow more slowly than "do" those(plants).....'.

Also,can you please provide a scenario when the use of "do" will be correct?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
why E is not correct ?

'IF a happens,B WILL happen.'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The sentence reads that botanist have proven if a happens, then b happens. its a not will happen sort of situation. Hence C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
C it is because scientists have proven that if X happens Y happens.

If plants extend laterally, they grow slowly than those [plants] that are vertically contained.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Bookmarks
if .......grow
present to present use
c clear win
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Send PM
Quote:
Botanists have proven that if plants extended laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow slower than do those that are more vertically contained.

A: extended laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow slower than do
B: extended laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow slower than
C: extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they grow more slowly than
D: extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they would have grown more slowly than do
E: extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow more slowly than do

Strike one: hypothetical, so 'extend' and not 'extended' --> eliminate A and B
Strike two: 'do' is redundant and awkward --> eliminate D and E

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
yea... agree with C

i initially selected E too but when i read the comments and then re-read the passage, i liked C
the first few words say scientists have proven... so i guess the sentence is appropriate in present tense... hence "will" in E is incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q750 V600
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
gmatbull wrote:
Botanists have proven that if plants extended laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow slower than do those that are more vertically contained.

A:...
B: extended laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow slower than
C: extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they grow more slowly than
D: extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they would have grown more slowly than do
E: extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow more slowly than do

Plant A can grow more slowly than do plant B: both have the capacity to grow
but one is slower than the other. Is my explanation correct?

Also, I applied the "If X then Y" to make a choice. please comment.

How is the above question different/compared to the following question.

If teachers, often feeling unappreciated and unmotivated, is paid higher wages, the standard of education will improve.

A: is paid higher wages, the standard of education will improve
B: are paid higher wages, the standard of education would improve
C: are paid higher wages, the standard of education will have improved
D: are paid higher wages, the standard of education can improve
E: are paid higher wages, the standard of education will improve

I want to understand If..Then application. I applied the Original Question logic to this question and I failed. Can someone please provide guidance?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi karishma ,

Is the usage of " DO " correct in option E?

The comparision seems to me logical ;

you are comparing the rate of growth ;
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
rohitkumar77 wrote:
Hi karishma ,

Is the usage of " DO " correct in option E?

The comparision seems to me logical ;

you are comparing the rate of growth ;

Yes, the usage of "do" is OK.

Please consider the following sentence:

I run faster than you run... the comparison is between two verbs (I) run and (You) run.

However it is acceptable to either omit the repeated verb or replace it with "do" in order to avoid repetition. Hence the correct construction could be:

I run faster than you do. (do replacing run)
I run faster than you. (run omitted altogether)

The former is preferred in GMAT.

Hi Sayantec,

for option E: do you think instead of "do", "will" should have been used?

E : extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow more slowly than do -> extend laterally beyond the scope of their root system, they will grow more slowly than will

Also, option C is in indicative mood, rather than conditional?

Please help.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 728
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone please explain why option E is wrong. Could not understand this from the above posts.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM