Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [47]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [19]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Kaplan CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shrouded1 wrote:
I just got this question in one of the online CATs. I still cant quite get my head around how (b) is better than (c). The bit I dont understand is how (b) explains that the percentage of income the wealthy paid off as tax went down from 40% to 25%
How would an explanation of this fact contribute to our understanding of the mystery?

It could that the rich paid less taxes due to a change in laws, a change in banking strategies, a change in nationality. But none of these would explain how they were paying a larger portion of the nation's taxes, despite paying a smaller portion of their own income.

B, however, makes the change clear. For whatever reason--we don't know, or need to know--the wealthy are paying a smaller portion of a larger amount of money. This explains how they can be paying less in relation to themselves, but more in relation to others, and so is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Re: Federal taxes by the richest one percent of Americans [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
priyalr wrote:
Hi Mike,
You are right with what ou said in the end about understanding the discrepancy and look at ans choices. I read the stimulus, but couldn't really figure out the discrepancy. I moved on with options, i figured out with B or C as correct option, but i marked C. Quite often I end up selecting the wrong ans choice among 2 options, what do you suggest. I dont want to work on a CR qustn for more than 2 min.
Thanks,

Thank you for your kind words. Here's a free video lesson about CR questions that you may find helpful.

https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/579-dis ... n-argument

At Magoosh, we have a series of video lessons to guide your approach to CR questions on the GMAT.

I hope that's helpful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kraizada84 wrote:
I was lost and landed on C. Basically i could not decipher the correct meaning thrown upon by the argument. Could you please suggest what shall i do, Mostly the 700-800 range problems bounce on me because I could hardly figure out what's going on.
Could you recommend any advise on this. It will be of great help.
thanx

Dear kraizada84

Thank you for your kind words. Mastering the high levels of CR is indeed a difficult task. I would recommend checking out Magoosh. We have 200+ GMAT lesson videos, including a whole series on mastering the CR. Here's a sample:

https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/579-dis ... n-argument

We have 800+ practice questions, each with its own video explanation. Here's a sample:

https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1309

After you submit your answer to that question, the following page will have the video explanation. I believe the strategies we teach might be just what you need to crack the ceiling you are current hitting on CR. You may also find this blog article helpful.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/arguments- ... -the-gmat/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jp27 wrote:
Hi Mike - I'm a bit lost with option C

1977: 40% of $100
1989: 25% of ($100 + $1 Billion) (the 1B $ is the shifted $ amt from untaxable to taxable.

then we can account for the 12.7 percent in 1977 to 16.2 percent in 1989 increase right, even though the tax rate was low?

Could you please correct my reasoning?

Dear Jp27,

Think about it this way. We are being asked for an "explanation of the discrepancy." An explanation is something that makes something clear --- explanations resolve uncertainty & ambiguity --- that's the job of an explanation.

Choice (C) contains that beautifully vague word "many" --- how many? a majority? almost all? or just a substantial minority? And then we have the question of --- what was the dollar amount of the investments that were shifted "from untaxable to taxable assets", and how does that compare in dollar amount to the assets that were already being taxed? Much more? much less? about equal? More uncertainty.

We have been asked to explain something. A statement awash in uncertainty does not make a cogent explanation.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: Between 1977 and 1989, the percentage of income paid to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
thebigr002 wrote:
phew!! tricky question this!! federal taxes, federal revenues, percentage increase, percentage decrease!! too many confusing words..

Dear thebigr002

My friend, if you are studying for the GMAT and headed for business school, you need to get used to arguments just like this. This argument is very typically, in scope and language, of what the GMAT will test. Furthermore, this is precisely the sort of information that managers need to process to make business decisions. If you are aiming for the MBA, hoping to pursue a career in business, you have to acclimate yourself to all these ideas until reading a passage like this is totally natural. I would strongly suggest reading the Economist magazine to build familiarity with fundamental economic ideas.

I'll also recommend this series of blogs on real-life issues to understand for the GMAT.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-supply-and-demand/

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyalr wrote:
Hi Mike,

You are right with what ou said in the end about understanding the discrepancy and look at ans choices. I read the stimulus, but couldn't really figure out the discrepancy. I moved on with options, i figured out with B or C as correct option, but i marked C. Quite often I end up selecting the wrong ans choice among 2 options, what do you suggest. I dont want to work on a CR qustn for more than 2 min.

Thanks,

From the discussion above, I think many of us consider option B & option C to be the two major contenders for the answer. However, some of us are, ultimately, falling for the wrong guy, option C. I think, in our discussion above, we have missed one crucial point, which is very apparent in the question passage and which is missed by option C.

Let me offer my two cents to the discussion.

As Mike has very brilliantly explained the paragraph of the question, the paragraph states two things about period 1977 to 1989:

1. The proportion of income paid to federal taxes by the richest (i.e. top 1%) people has decreased.
2. Proportion of federal taxes contributed by the richest has increased

Now, option C says that many of the richest people shifted their investments from non-taxable to taxable assets. Now, such a thing would have impact on both the above statements. Though such a move by the richest would help explain statement 2, it would run completely counter to statement 1, since this option talks about increased tax outflow from the richest, without suggesting any corresponding increase in the income of the richest. Thus, this option leads to increased proportion of income paid to taxes, which is opposite of statement 1.

I hope the above explanation removes option C from the race, leaving us with only option B.

If anyone finds any issues with this, I would be grateful if you point it out.

I would also like to use this forum to emphasize one very important point here. We should never use outside knowledge to judge the validity of any statement. The reason is simple that the critical reasoning questions are designed to test your reasoning skills, not your knowledge. They are not designed to favor people possessing certain knowledge (which, in this case, could be about the tax regime in 1980s in the US). Official GMAT website clearly states this in the test structure of GMAT.

I am emphasizing this because I see that Mike’s argument for not going for option C begins with “First of all, there's no historical evidence for that...”. This is an incorrect approach to attempt critical reasoning questions.

Even the second part of this argument is fallacious. The second part says that:
“If the tax rate declines, maybe some 1% folks move a little more from tax shelters to something taxable, but it simply doesn't make sense that person would move so much that the overall dollar amount in taxes paid increases to more than what it was at the higher tax rate. It's unlikely one person would do that, and it's unimaginable that "many" of the 1% would do something so daft. “

Looking closely at the argument, a question arises, why would even some people move some proportion of their assets, if the tax rate was lowered? No-tax is always better than lower tax. Why would some people do that?

They would do only when the after-tax return on taxable investments becomes greater than return on non-taxable income. So, when the tax rate is lowered to such an extent that after tax return on taxable assets become greater, people would start switching to them, thereby increasing tax revenues for the government. And in this case, they may shift their entire assets to taxable ones, which would possibly generate enough taxes for the government, to more than offset the decrease in tax rate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The words “contributes most to an explanation” indicate that this is an Explain question. Expect there to be a paradox or apparent contradiction in the stimulus, and the answer to explain how both parts of the apparent contradiction can be true at the same time.

Untangle the Stimulus:

The two parts of the apparent contradiction in an Explain question are often separated by a contrast word, such as “but,”“yet,” or, in this case, “however.” On the one hand, the richest one percent paid a lower percentage of their income to taxes. On the other hand, the amount they paid represented a larger proportion of all tax revenue collected.

Predict the Answer:

Explain questions are typically not predictable. Here, just keep in mind that the correct answer will explain how the income taxes paid by the richest one percent could make up a larger proportion of all tax revenue than before, even though those taxes represent a lower percentage of their income than before.

Evaluate the Answer Choices:

(B) explains the discrepancy, and is the answer. If the income of the richest one percent increased greatly, then the tax on that income - even at a lower tax rate than before - could still represent a larger proportion of all Federal tax revenues.

(A) is wrong because there is nothing in the stimulus to suggest how an increase in staff handling audits and collections would affect the amount of taxes being collected from any particular segment of taxpayers.

(C) is incorrect because although “many” of the richest one percent may have shifted their investments to taxable assets, many more may have shifted their investments in the other direction, from taxable to untaxable assets, which would lower their taxable income. (C), therefore, doesn't explain the discrepancy, and is incorrect.

(D) perhaps explains why the percentage of income paid by the richest one percent has decreased (the first part of the discrepancy). But this doesn't explain the second part of the discrepancy - how the rich ended up paying a larger proportion of tax revenues. This also doesn’t indicate who exactly is affected by the elimination of the loopholes, and how.

(E) tells how much the taxes paid by the two groups increased. But this doesn't explain how the proportion paid by the richest one percent increased, while at the same time the percent of their income paid decreased.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
If the share of the 1%'s income decreased, but the share of the total payments made increased - this must mean the 1% got much richer: more income - a smaller percentage of it can still be a larger number than before.
This is exactly what B tells us: Between 1977 and 1989, the before-tax income of the richest one percent of Americans increased by over 75 percent when adjusted for inflation.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM