Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [5]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: The Awesome Desis!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Absolutely false. I am going to rebuke each and every one of these statements and show you why the answer is E. NO combination of these statements are sufficient to prove that I am, as you eloquently put it, "desi".

Fact 1: I am 19 years old
Fact 2: I am a girl (!!!Surprise!!!)
Fact 3: I am the Chuck Norris of B-School Applicants (Just thought it'd be fun to insert this one here for the lolz)

minime2 wrote:
I have spent a few months on this incredibly awesome forum. These are some thoughts about our very colorful desi brigade. Have fun!!

Every Indian has studied from a “top 10” engineering college in India that is not IIT.
FACT: There really is no concept of “top 10” engineering college in India. There are the IITs and the rest (Regional bias may prompt people to consider DCE, NIT as “top 10” – let’s not kid ourselves people!)

UNFACT: While it is true that there is no top 10 engineering college - BITS and NIT are now reaching up and grabbing IIT by it's ass and pulling it down. Even smaller and relatively unknown colleges like VIT (Vellore Institute of Technology, bet you've never heard of THAT one) have tie-ups with MIT and Stanford and send people abroad MUCH more than IIT and they have greater recognition. Just like IBS > IIM-A internationally as far as holistic tendencies go.

Every Indian has taught poor children from the slums.
FACT: This is the biggest BS I have heard!! I am sure adcoms wonder why India has so many illiterates if EVERY Indian is taking care of some poor little kid. Guys, please think of some more innovative ideas wrt to community involvement. Taming lions would be a good differentiator going forward don’t you think??

UNFACT: ROFLMAO. This is BS. I tell you, people are influenced by Slumdog Millionaire. Not true at all. No one is diving into a pile of feces to get Amitabh's autograph. Not my generation at least :D

EVERY Indian has worked for an IT company that is an MNC/Major/Giant
FACT: Well………. Infosys, TCS, Wipro…………………not really “giants” as far as b-school admissions go. Pretty good companies I would agree, but also pretty easy to get in if you went to a “top 10” non IIT engineering school. ( Man…I know I am going to get heat on this one.)

UNFACT OF THE CENTURY (I just made that word up, but sush): I am Indian. I am 19. I am a girl. I study Civil Engineering in a top 10 engineering school in the US. I have also traveled to China, London and soon going to Hungary, Morocco and Egypt. Why am I on GMAT Club? Because I am the Chuck Norris of BSchool Applicants. You must pay more attention, sir.

Every Indian was the president/leader/core team member of the cultural/technical festival in their “top 10” non IIT engineering school.
FACT: Yeah right…. The truth is that there are a few people who truly organize the shows and the entire college Janta ( student community) tags along as “members”. Obviously in 3-4 years when b-school applications come along they all become the president/leader/core team members

UNFACT but FACT: I actually agree with this one. I know what SASTRA and SAARANG do to people.

Every Indian wants to go to Kellog
FACT: I am sure this is a national conspiracy to rile up Alex Chu. He gets all worked up when he sees an Indian miss the all important second “g” at the end of Kellogg. This is truly awesome!! If a billion people make an effort we can make Kellogg change its name to Kellog!! Then who’d be laughing Alex Chu??!!

UNFACT: (I officially love this thread). Alex Chu is awesome, really. But hellz yeah, hell hath an Indian scorned. I want to go to Timbuktu and study the migration of insects. I can show diversity peepsies!

Every Indian must provide grades he/she received in class X and XII when requesting profile evaluation
FACT:No one cares!! STOP doing it. - I can't even begin to agree with this one, but it's the educational system. We should all listen to "Throw it on the Ground" on SNL. If you don't know what that is, youtube it. If you do, respect.

Every Indian wants to retake the GMAT. Even after getting 810.
FACT: NICE!! Apparently, HBS drools over math geniuses…enough said ..... ORLLY?! MUST. GET. 810

Every Indian is awesome.
FACT: Every Indian IS AWESOME!! This be true.

Disclaimer: I am myself a desi and many of these facts apply to me as well. No offense to anyone. As the stress of applications begins to mount, let us at least laugh at ourselves!! Cheers!!

I am probably the most patriotic, yet confused Indian on the planet. I play cricket and tennis. I don't understand American football or why they even call it football. I love Mexican food and I have never eaten meat in my life.

R.A.N.D.O.M as Praetorian would put it.

Cheers. This was just a tirade after doing too much CR. I love you all. :D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Send PM
Also, the topic has been moved to the off-topic forum. This wasn't really relevant here :)
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
I guess there is a typo here " Just like IBS > IIM-A internationally as far as holistic tendencies go"

it should be ISB. But still I want to throw some light on IIMA and ISB. IIMA is quite old and one of the most prestigious B-school in the world. The only reason why people do not know about this school is because it is not listed in the global b -school ranking.

Now why it is not listed?
A- It does not meet many criteria of B-school rankings - such as fresher intake, reservation etc.

Comparing ISB and IIMA is like comparing real numbers with complex...you can not ask whether i > 1 or not.
No doubt ISB has gained tremendous popularity globally but still IIMA is still only of the best and hardest B-school-to-crack.

PS: Avg international salary -IIMA is 110,750$.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Haha, I know all about the merits of IIM-A. Half my family went there. The other half went to Wharton and Kenan-Flagler. Extended family of course, neither of my parents are in anything related to business. When I told them I decided to apply to bschool (around 6 months ago) they were like "WHAT? ......... "
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
haha..whiplash just ass whooped that post.... :-D

and BTW, being a BITSian and all, I dare say that its better than most IITs , if not the top three i.e karaghpur, powai and madras 8-)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am not Indian, so probably don't appreciate the value of these to the fullest but love the Alex Chu reference - great job!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bb wrote:
I am not Indian, so probably don't appreciate the value of these to the fullest but love the Alex Chu reference - great job!

I even don't know who is Alex Chu :?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
gurpreetsingh wrote:
bb wrote:

I even don't know who is Alex Chu :?

Here you go: ask-mba-apply-135/
welcome-to-mba-apply-74255.html
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Anasthaesium wrote:

and BTW, being a BITSian and all, I dare say that its better than most IITs , if not the top three i.e karaghpur, powai and madras 8-)

Thank you. IIT-Madras FTW. Don't you dare say anything bad about Madras. Yes, I'm Tamizhian. And if you cannot pronounce the zha, fail on your part.

Quote:

You can be a honorary Indian, bb. :D *The Big Fat Panda confers the title of "honorary Indian" on bb* :D Now imagine a big fat panda standing there, touching a sword to your head. Now THAT is hilarious.

Note to self - Get off the soda and start working.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Anasthaesium wrote:

Thank you. IIT-Madras FTW. Don't you dare say anything bad about Madras. Yes, I'm Tamizhian. And if you cannot pronounce the zha, fail on your part.

Quote:

You can be a honorary Indian, bb. :D *The Big Fat Panda confers the title of "honorary Indian" on bb* :D Now imagine a big fat panda standing there, touching a sword to your head. Now THAT is hilarious.

Note to self - Get off the soda and start working.

Lay off the Dr. Pepper you chocoholic.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Sush. You're just jealous that I actually LIKE dark chocolate.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:

I love chocolates ......... :banana
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
is it about time for azans to form "awesome azns" thread????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:

Yea, try sucking on some 90% then talk!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Haha, I know all about the merits of IIM-A. Half my family went there. The other half went to Wharton and Kenan-Flagler. Extended family of course, neither of my parents are in anything related to business. When I told them I decided to apply to bschool (around 6 months ago) they were like "WHAT? ......... "

the same WHAT? was asked by Steve Ballmer's parents while he told them that he wanted to join a software company called Microsoft...and now see where he is...the CEO of Microsoft.

So when parents say WHAT? that means you are going to do something great!!! :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
@Dawg: I've actually had 98% dark chocolate in Belgium at a chocolatiers. It was delicious.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
ROTFLMAO !!

Wish i could beg to differ !
:drunk
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3