Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Not impressed with Knewton [#permalink]
I wouldn't necessarily say it was a bad experience, just didn't suit my learning style I guess. I signed up because with the guarantee I felt I had nothing to lose and I still feel I didn't lose anything. I will lose my time if I keep trying to make the program work for me instead of using what I know does work, and time at this point is pretty valuable, so I've stopped focusing on Knewton. I'm still using the MGMAT books, I feel their problem sets are much more beneficial. Yes, the Knewton Assesments are pretty pointless (the HW isn't as bad) and I do feel the scoring of their CATs are off. My practice exam scores could range from 620 to 680 with only a 1 question difference in terms of how many I got correct, or even how many in a row I got correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Michmax3
sorry to hear your dissapointment in the class. Did you try the numerous topic videos available? there are also back videos as well. I think there are tons of info to explorer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Michmax3 sorry to hear that Knewton is not working for you but it worked for many users. Anyhow, good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I had the same experience with their CATs, they really do range a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I believe that Knewton has an extremely good learning platform. Technically it is a superior system. That said it is not for everyone. I took it this summer and was put under some real time constraints because I was taking six hours in graduate school (digital forensics/computer science) at the same time and it was a real strain. Knewton reduced me to tears a number of times because it is not a "positive reinforcement system" for students that have been away from the subject matter a long time. Yes, I am an extreme case because I graduated from high school in 1969. I never, never, never would have thought about going into a PhD program until this "wonderful new economy" that we have convinced me that standing still is not an option for anyone. Knewton's instructors are positive. They provided me with a list of resources so that I could begin the process of catching up. On-line classes, however, were not a positive experience because I was too far behind. I'm not sure about their practice sets and exams also. It is real easy to get negative feedback that reinforces a bad attitude about the GMAT. The Knewton concept videos are tremendous and really help. I will take the GMAT for the second time on September 22nd. The first time was early this summer before Knewton. I've been going to a sports psychologist for several weeks, working with creative visualization, and gone back to an exercise program in order to increase my competitive edge. Why? Well, Knewton is great, but in my opinion it falls flat, like almost all GMAT review programs, because it doesn't build a mental edge. You are trained to review and answer questions, but it is extremely easy for the program to become a negative experience that does not build you up for the exam. Yes, I'm an extreme case, but since I'm in the process of finishing my second master's degree this semester I've already proven I can do graduate level work, so what does the GMAT prove in my case? My advice is that Knewton is at the top of the pile with respect to review courses, but it can't be the only leg under the table. If it is than you better hope that it is the center leg and that you are using the material just for "REVIEW" purposes. Otherwise you may be disappointed, which is, of course, possible with all GMAT review courses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, finance
WE 1: Business Development Manger
WE 2: Assistant Manager-Carbon Trading
WE 3: Manager-Carbon Trading
Send PM
pranrasvij wrote:
thanks for the update and review... I was considering Knewton. Maybe its better for people who have ~600-620 range - the higher scores may be harder to do through rigorous structure if they do impose that on each question type...

Yeah Its only good for people who have scored like a 650 in their diagnostic test and want to get a 700 in real GMAT.
I have taken Knewton, but I am very disappointed with the course.It does not help students with Low GMAT.Its only meant for high scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I have heard that it is good for 600 level people as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I believe the crux of the matter is that Knewton has a tremendous number of online resources, but if you don't avail yourself of them you will be up "&*%t creek" when the actual GMAT comes around. Once again, I believe that your state of mind has a lot to do with the final outcome. At least that's my position until I finish on September 22nd. Also I'm looking for an Admiral Ackbar action figure to "slay" the GMAT test algorithms. He certainly can't hurt!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, IB, Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
rite2deepti wrote:
pranrasvij wrote:
thanks for the update and review... I was considering Knewton. Maybe its better for people who have ~600-620 range - the higher scores may be harder to do through rigorous structure if they do impose that on each question type...

Yeah Its only good for people who have scored like a 650 in their diagnostic test and want to get a 700 in real GMAT.
I have taken Knewton, but I am very disappointed with the course.It does not help students with Low GMAT.Its only meant for high scores.

I think it depends on the person. I have found Knewtons wealth of information and homework assignments as a great way to get up to speed on the topics covered on the GMAT. For instance, I'm good at math in general but I never really paid attention to circles. So, I've been able to focus on that aspect.

Right now I'm consistently testing in the ~700 range on the GMAC and the MGMT practice tests, whereas my first diagnostic was somewhere in the low 500'. I usually tend to do well on tests I put my mind to and I think Knewton has been a great resource to go about studying. It's been especially helpful for me since I'm overseas and in no position to do anything in person.
GMAT Club Bot