Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Manhattan Gmat test Vs Of Gmat Prep [#permalink]
Kudos
Can somebody please shed light on how near are the MGMAT scores to that of the real GMAT?

Quant , especially, looks so skewed. Can't make out if the real GMAT would have equally tough questions in quant? I am scoring around 47 in Quant. Don't know how will this map to real GMAT quant.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
we can only guestimate since it is not made by testmakers. gmat prep is most reliable. mgmat quants are more difficult
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance (S&amp;T)
 Q41  V31
WE 1: S&amp;T
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
we can only guestimate since it is not made by testmakers. gmat prep is most reliable. mgmat quants are more difficult

I agree with you, gmat prep should be a better indicator of the real thing. What susrprises me is that mgmat sholud be more difficult, (thats what I figure by reading this forums), however, I cant brake the 40 barrier in gmat prep math and I i´m 45-46 in mgmat.......

Anyway, if someone has any suggestion......I believe that I have the skills in math, but there is something different with official gmat questions that i´m having toruble with. I´m 10 days from my appointment, so i´ll keep studing form the official guides and try to take the gmat prep tests as many times as possible to get any possible question....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Kudos
yeah i'll agree.

if anyone else can shed some light on the kaplan too that would be great as well. I'm doing pretty crap on them.
Intern
Intern
 Q41  V31
Send PM
I tried to reach someone at Manhattam Gmat to see if they can help us figure this out..... i´m waiting for their response and let you know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
The level of difficulty in the exams are subjective.

Some people do better on MGMAT than on the official GMAT and some people do better on the official GMAT than MGMAT.

Personally, I never got higher than 700 on MGMAT but ended up with 740 on the real GMAT.

Your mileage may vary...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Manhattan gmat tests scoring is different than Gmatpreps scoring. In my opinion manhattan tests are more adaptive but the quality of their tests is good, therefore i recommend their tests. Dont worry too much about differences on scoring
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
I would go by the GMATPrep score, since they are official.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Gacarva wrote:
shaselai wrote:

I agree with you, gmat prep should be a better indicator of the real thing. What susrprises me is that mgmat sholud be more difficult, (thats what I figure by reading this forums), however, I cant brake the 40 barrier in gmat prep math and I i´m 45-46 in mgmat.......

Anyway, if someone has any suggestion......I believe that I have the skills in math, but there is something different with official gmat questions that i´m having toruble with. I´m 10 days from my appointment, so i´ll keep studing form the official guides and try to take the gmat prep tests as many times as possible to get any possible question....

I think the MGMAT quant tests are more difficult. Make sure when you are taking the GMAT prep tests you are not making things more difficult for yourself by expecting harder questions and thinking too much into it or wasting time on ones that are easier. I was happy that I was finding a lot of them easier, but then spent time second-guessing why it was easy, did I miss something? Let me read it again. Then when I got to a harder one, I had less time to work on it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Are you taking the MGMAT tests with the timer on? I know there is an option to turn it off. This could make a big difference.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Kudos
I find the MGMAT quant more challenger than the verbal. For some reason, their verbal doesn't really work too good in representing that of GMATprep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Gacarva wrote:
Hi Everyone, I need some advice from the Gmat Club community..... I´ve been studing for 3 months, my date is sep 30.... and i´m having a little trouble with something. I already finish the 6 mgmat tests, 590, 620, 640, 660, 650, 660. My math went from 38 in the first test to 46 in the last one (yesterday) and my verbal improved as well.

After that I tried the first Gmat prep last week and got 620 and today (repeat), the same. Verbal is better than mgmat but math is terrible.

The Math is killing me, last week 40 and today 39. My last Mgmat test was yerterday and got math 46. What is happening? any advice? Why am I having so much trouble with the offical prep? I studied from Mgamt series, and of guide 11th and 12th. I thought mgmat math was more difficult but i just don´t understand.......

Advice? anyone with the same problem?

tks.

I understand what you are talking about. IMO the main difference between MGMAT and GMAT Prep in the math section, is that MGMAT tends to make questions difficult by making them longer instead of trickier. MGMAT tends to add more phases towards the solution of the problem and by consuming more time and more effort making the test harder. The GMAT Prep tends to make questions very tricky, I noticed it especially in the DS section. You can easily see questions where you think the answer is C and actually only one statement is enough or even each of them is enough. My advice go over the questions you answered wrong and analyze why. If you'll see that the reason is not knowledge than you are probably falling for some trick. If this is the reason work on being more careful when you answer.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

I understand what you are talking about. IMO the main difference between MGMAT and GMAT Prep in the math section, is that MGMAT tends to make questions difficult by making them longer instead of trickier. MGMAT tends to add more phases towards the solution of the problem and by consuming more time and more effort making the test harder. The GMAT Prep tends to make questions very tricky, I noticed it especially in the DS section. You can easily see questions where you think the answer is C and actually only one statement is enough or even each of them is enough. My advice go over the questions you answered wrong and analyze why. If you'll see that the reason is not knowledge than you are probably falling for some trick. If this is the reason work on being more careful when you answer.

Good Luck!

I agree with the points mentioned above. Do try to stick to GmatPrep as close as possible and analyze where you went wrong.

Also, Try GMATClub Test !
Intern
Intern
 Q41  V31
Send PM
rafi wrote:
Gacarva wrote:
Hi Everyone, I need some advice from the Gmat Club community..... I´ve been studing for 3 months, my date is sep 30.... and i´m having a little trouble with something. I already finish the 6 mgmat tests, 590, 620, 640, 660, 650, 660. My math went from 38 in the first test to 46 in the last one (yesterday) and my verbal improved as well.

After that I tried the first Gmat prep last week and got 620 and today (repeat), the same. Verbal is better than mgmat but math is terrible.

The Math is killing me, last week 40 and today 39. My last Mgmat test was yerterday and got math 46. What is happening? any advice? Why am I having so much trouble with the offical prep? I studied from Mgamt series, and of guide 11th and 12th. I thought mgmat math was more difficult but i just don´t understand.......

Advice? anyone with the same problem?

tks.

Good Luck!

Rafi, I think that what you are saying may be the cause of my low scores in math, thank you for your post, I´ll work on that on these last days.
Intern
Intern
 Q41  V31
Send PM
dokiyoki wrote:
Quote:

Good Luck!

I agree with the points mentioned above. Do try to stick to GmatPrep as close as possible and analyze where you went wrong.

Thanks Dokiyoki, i will follow your advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
dokiyoki wrote:
Quote:

Good Luck!

Aren't the gmatclub tests much tougher than the real questions in GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Slow down and try to work though the questions. You are probably making mistakes on questions you percieve to be easy on the gmat prep. Also, work though questions on the official guide and mark your solutions to that of the guide. You should be able to identify and remediate the problem in time for the d-day after several iterations of about 30 questions from both PS and DS.

Best of luck!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts