Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8533 [27]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [7]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:MIT Sloan (LGO)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: All bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are in serious need of rehabilitat [#permalink]
B is not wrong as it is true that some bridges will need rehabilitation. It is just not as true as C which goes into greater detail saying that some bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design are in serious need of rehabilitation.

So C is just more precise than B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Re: All bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are in serious need of rehabilitat [#permalink]
We have to assume that the choices refer to bridges between 1950 to 1960

Wrong, since all bridges from 1950 to 1960 need rehab (A) Some suspension bridges are not in serious need of rehabilitation.

Very clearly given in the statement. Agreed it is TRUE, but then it has already been stated in the statement that "... some bridges in serious need of rehabilitation are not suspension bridges ..." (B) Some suspension bridges are in serious need of rehabilitation.

(C) Some bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design are in serious need of rehabilitation.

Wrong, since specified that all bridges from 1950 to 1960 need rehab (D) Some bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are not in serious need of rehabilitation.

Wrong, not bridges other than suspension bridges means - suspension bridges (E) Some bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design are not bridges other than suspension bridges.

Going back to the remaining choices, C can be inferred and B is given fact (does not require inference).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
noboru wrote:
All bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are in serious need of rehabilitation. Some bridges constructed in this period, however, were built according to faulty engineering design. That is the bad news. The good news is that at least some bridges in serious need of rehabilitation are not suspension bridges, since no suspension bridges are among the bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design.
If the statements above are true, then, on the basis of those statements, which one of the following must be true?

(A) Some suspension bridges are not in serious need of rehabilitation.
(B) Some suspension bridges are in serious need of rehabilitation.
(C) Some bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design are in serious need of rehabilitation.
(D) Some bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are not in serious need of rehabilitation.
(E) Some bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design are not bridges other than suspension bridges.

What's wrong with B?

Another thing wrong with (B) is that the question is asking which one MUST be true. The article only claims that "at least some bridges... are not suspension bridges." That means it's possible that NONE of the bridges are suspension bridges, in which case (B) would be false.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
noboru wrote:
All bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are in serious need of rehabilitation. Some bridges constructed in this period, however, were built according to faulty engineering design. That is the bad news. The good news is that at least some bridges in serious need of rehabilitation are not suspension bridges, since no suspension bridges are among the bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design.
If the statements above are true, then, on the basis of those statements, which one of the following must be true?

(A) Some suspension bridges are not in serious need of rehabilitation.
It may be true if there were no suspension bridge built during the period. We don't know that.
(B) Some suspension bridges are in serious need of rehabilitation.
At least some suspension bridge not in serious need of rehab ranges from at least some to at most all.
True. Some bridges is a subset of all bridges. If all bridges are in need, some bridges will definitely be in need irrespective of the reason.
(D) Some bridges built from 1950 to 1960 are not in serious need of rehabilitation.
Directly contradicts the first line of the passage.
(E) Some bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design are not bridges other than suspension bridges.
Directly contradicts: "no suspension bridges are among the bridges that were built according to faulty engineering design"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
hey can you plz help me with this question
from the 1st line of the stimulus it is given that all bridges need rehabilitation which means this 'all' include suspension bridges also, so if it include suspension bridges then how can option 2nd is wrong as if all bridges need rehab then it include the suspension bridge also
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM