Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
If you look at the threads from last year, you'll see that sometimes applications will be reviewed before November 15th, and some of the early applications received early interview invitations as well. But that is not always the case. So, practical advice: submit whenever you're ready, by the deadline.

And yes, application review is random but notifications are made on a rolling basis. Usually the first interview invitations come out mid-December and the first decisions begin to be released sometime mid-January.

gkumar wrote:
So is there any incentive for us to submit before November 15th? From the above message, is it safe to assume that we should use all of our time to make sure the application is the best it can be and submit by November 15th?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Posted from my mobile device

Me too. Good to see another GMATCluber at the session. Do you want to meet up or something?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Me too. Good to see another GMATCluber at the session. Do you want to meet up or something?

Damn, just saw this. What did you think of the info session? The second person who won the application fee waiver was talking to the adcom afterwards and it turns out that she's not applying until 2012, so she can't use the waiver. I was going to offer her $50 for it, but I couldn't find her again. :x
Current Student
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
So is there any incentive for us to submit before November 15th? From the above message, is it safe to assume that we should use all of our time to make sure the application is the best it can be and submit by November 15th?

Just to add my $0.02, I asked this question at the info session tonight and the answer was that there is no advantage to applying prior to the deadline.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
The earlier you submit, the earlier your application is likely to go complete (all the bits gathered together in the same file). The sooner that happens, the sooner it can be reviewed.

Ergo, getting things sorted earlier means it can be reviewed at the soonest opportunity. Submitting 15 Nov is unlikely to get put together before a couple of weeks have passed (dependent on a ridiculous number of variables I can't care to mention).

So... yes, there is an advantage of a shape or form.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
The earlier you submit, the earlier your application is likely to go complete (all the bits gathered together in the same file). The sooner that happens, the sooner it can be reviewed.

Ergo, getting things sorted earlier means it can be reviewed at the soonest opportunity. Submitting 15 Nov is unlikely to get put together before a couple of weeks have passed (dependent on a ridiculous number of variables I can't care to mention).

So... yes, there is an advantage of a shape or form.

I am amused by how the AdCom people give politically correct answers, which contrast directly against current students and alumni's answers that Adcom wouldn't normally say and are seemingly more useful. :rotate
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
It is because they can't make outright statements as there are always exceptions to the broad-base rules. They are highly aware of the sensitivity of candidates to decide their application is dead or missing or somehow doing something odd when it is simply a function of the volume they deal with.

Meantime, Soly and I can speak in broad based generalizations as they help, but we would never be held accountable.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
gijoedude wrote:
brainhurt wrote:

Damn, just saw this. What did you think of the info session? The second person who won the application fee waiver was talking to the adcom afterwards and it turns out that she's not applying until 2012, so she can't use the waiver. I was going to offer her $50 for it, but I couldn't find her again. :x

I think the info session was alright. I was quite surprised that the room was full. I thought I was the only guy from Toronto who was applying :P . Presentation was just the standard right out of the brochure stuff. But what really helped was talking to the alumni. One alum was a director at TD so I asked him a few questions I had about i-banking. The other guy alum had a low GMAT (low 600s) and he got in so yea there is hope for people out there with low GMATs!!

Oh yea lol that girl left pretty soon I think. I hope she gave it to someone who was applying this year!

Btw did you see they had MLB as a recruiter. Wow!! That is so freakin awesome!

PS: You planning to go to any more info-sessions for other schools??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
gijoedude wrote:

Yep, MLB hired for the summer. As did Nike Football and whatever the baseball team in DC is. I know another guy who's doing a Fall internship with the Mets. Sports and Sports Marketing is making tremendous strides at Stern.
Current Student
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:

PS: You planning to go to any more info-sessions for other schools??

Ya I was surprised by how many people showed up, although from talking to a few I suspect a lot of the people there were very early in the MBA research process and likely aren't applying for this year. I had heard about a few Sternies getting into professional sports management -- I agree, freakin awesome! Although it's not my goal for getting my MBA, I'm definitely interested to learn more about it.

I'm scheduled to go to the Tuck info session on Oct. 5. Otherwise I haven't heard about other schools' sessions in Toronto. Are you going to any others?

edit: forgot I'm also going to the LBS info session on Oct. 16, but chances of me applying there are very low.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
gijoedude wrote:

Yep, MLB hired for the summer. As did Nike Football and whatever the baseball team in DC is. I know another guy who's doing a Fall internship with the Mets. Sports and Sports Marketing is making tremendous strides at Stern.

Oh that's very nice to hear. I was not too sure about Stern as I heard it was too stats crazy and too finance focused. But after learning about sports marketing NYU Stern definitely goes up my list of schools to apply! But can you please answer a question of mine? How open are these companies to internationals? I know banks and consulting companies easily sponsor H1B if needed, but what about these marketing companies? Do they prefer citizens/PR?

@Brainhurt

Yup I am coming to the Tuck info session! Kellogg has one on Sep 29th at McKinsey's office near Museum subway station so I will be attending that. LBS info session is apparently in the afternoon so I won't be able to come. I tried finding info sessions for Wharton and Ross but they don't seem to have any in Toronto.

You want to meet up before the Tuck session?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
If you mean classic CPG marketing, I don't think any of the ones that came to Stern hire internationals full-time. I could be mistaken. However, pharmaceutical companies (Pfizer, BMS etc) hire international students into marketing at non-US locations. Others like American Express and companies, especially in travel and hospitality, will hire and sponsor international students for *some* positions.

So your options are limited if you are not a US resident and interested in marketing, but they're not non-existent either.

Internships however aren't a problem. But you need to be aware that spending a summer in marketing at Kraft, Colgate, L'Oreal, Hermes, or Unilever etc. may not necessarily lead to a full-time offer if you're international.

gijoedude wrote:
But can you please answer a question of mine? How open are these companies to internationals? I know banks and consulting companies easily sponsor H1B if needed, but what about these marketing companies? Do they prefer citizens/PR?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi solaris,

this is concerning to me, the comment you made about CPG marketing position. One of my interests is to pursue CPG marketing post graduation in US. So being a Canadian, Stern may not be an ideal school for me if I wanted to pursue a career in this industry? Since the companies are not recruitment international students on campus?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Last night I attended an info session, and as you said before, there was a raffle and two prices....... USD200 each..... and again, went to people not applying this year...........
Current Student
Send PM
lunasea29 wrote:
Hi solaris,

this is concerning to me, the comment you made about CPG marketing position. One of my interests is to pursue CPG marketing post graduation in US. So being a Canadian, Stern may not be an ideal school for me if I wanted to pursue a career in this industry? Since the companies are not recruitment international students on campus?

At the Stern info session they talked about CPG marketing being tough to break into generally, so it wouldn't surprise me that companies would opt for the "less-hassle" US students if they have the pick of the litter.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Kudos
lunasea29, I don't think this is a concern that is specific to Stern. Stern does very well with CPG recruiting overall. I'd be very surprised if large CPG companies hire large numbers of international students at any school for full-time marketing positions located in the U.S.

Some do, but you'll only have a handful of employers that are CPG companies willing to hire internationals for full-time stuff. I'm not sure how you being Canadian will factor into the equation. My guess is that it probably makes things less difficult.

Feel free to reach out to the admissions offices at multiple schools with questions about how well international students have done in securing full-time CPG marketing positions, and I suppose decide what your "ideal" school is based on that information?

Just one other thing. Very few CPG companies this year came back to hire full-time because they filled their classes mostly with their summer interns. So work hard for that internship if you seriously want to end up in CPG marketing.

lunasea29 wrote:
Hi solaris,

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Darn! Solaris1's name is no longer highlighted in pink..... :evil:

Anyway, what he says is pretty much right on the money regarding CPGs. (Although I've met internationals who did summer internship at Colgate this past summer and received job offers with Visa sponsorships, etc)

Now, running away from NYU thread before Solaris1 gets angry....
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  110   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts