Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]

Originally posted by tzolkin on 17 Apr 2003, 12:23.
Last edited by tzolkin on 01 Aug 2003, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Malek, I too am somewhat new to the site also. I will also take the gmat soon. But I will have to respectfully disagree w/ you when you say this site is intimidating. I find this site very comforting for me. I am very anxious about my upcoming exam also. But coming here helps me w/ problems that i cannot solve and also for preparation help. But then again each person is different.

I believe most of the people here are willing to help, all you have to do is ask. And when people post there personal scores of the gmat , I think it is because they are proud of there score ( and rightly so)and mostly thanking people of this site for helping achieve that score.

But anyway thats my two cents. I hope you will find this site as comforting as I do. Good luck on your test. Let us know how it went.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Malek,

I'm new to the site (and new to GMAT as well, actually, since I just began preparing for it) and I wanted to say that I know what you mean when you say "intimidating," but that I don't think it comes from the egos of members at all!

It is intimidating to find a group of clever people who bring up such interesting, difficult questions, but we all have the same goal! And I think it is amazing that people are actually here to help others!

I've been working back on all the maths problems I can find on the site, for roughly 1hr the last couple days, and I think it's really helping me. I'm definitely going to stick with the site and hope you will too. And I hope I'll be able to do more than just benefit from it, I hope I'll be able to contribute too!

Paz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I do not know if intimidating is the correct adjective. I agree that I am often dissapointed in some of my approaches when compared to others. Having said that, it is helpful to see how others approach these tough problems. The difference of a 700 to a 750 is often how someone breaks down and uses logic to solve confusing problems.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
[#permalink]
pmarkgabe wrote:
I do not know if intimidating is the correct adjective. I agree that I am often dissapointed in some of my approaches when compared to others. Having said that, it is helpful to see how others approach these tough problems. The difference of a 700 to a 750 is often how someone breaks down and uses logic to solve confusing problems.

YOu are absolutely right. The GMAT Quant is NOT above knowing advanced, or even intermediate math. It tests the ability to be able to creatively solve a large variety of problems with only a few basic mathematical tools plus a large dollop of imagination and critical thinking.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Malek,

I can understand your frustration to an extent. I'm retaking the test in October this year, my last attempt yielded a 550, and I'm not expecting a quantum leap this time, I guess I'm being realistic more than anything else. Yes, it would be comforting, and I would be able to relate to, if there were more people who posted experiences of tests yielding scores in a lower score range.

But I try to take away as much as I can from the various posts on here, I find it interesting to read other peoples experiences and I believe one can learn a lot that way, even if you've taken the test once!

I'm sure there's a LOT more I can learn from the folks on here, it's pretty comforting to know I can always get on here with any questions/problems I might have and I could get help. More than anything else, I look forward to posting my own improved test experience on here in October!

So, I'd suggest you not to be disheartened by the massive scores ppl r generating on here, it's important to know one's weaknesses and limitations as much as his or her own strengths and take it from there. All said n done, I'm sure in the end you'll benefit in some way from this wbsite :P
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Actually, I think there is a small group of people here who are so bored with coommon GMAT math, that they are inventing new hard problems that are much harder, which his good for practice, but does have a repelling effect. I in way say it is bad, but it is just one of the consequences that we face - it is hard for new-comers who are not yet fed up with the simple math and have just regular/normal questions about absolut values, square roots, and just DS rules.

One way to avoid this is just to be proactive for those who are new - which is not very logical since new people tend to be more intimidated than the old sailors.

I can guarantee that in the past life of this site, nobody was made fun of because of a stupid question or a silly comment. There were hardly any of those, and if there was one or two, things were always properly explained. I actually admire that, and don't think anyone should hold back just because their level is not 50+ on Quant yet.

Look at Curly for example (I know he does not care if I use him as an example) he just asks everything. A few times people got irritated with him posting the same question twice after it was answered, but other than that, it has been very smooth. I would really hate to create an impression as though new members are not welcome or are not worthy.

We try to create a helpful learning environment here where teamwork benefits everybody. I hope this is clearly communicated.

-=-
Eternal Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1479 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm really blonde, and still available, that's why? :P :-D

Thanks, BB.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was intemidated too the first time i visited this forum

I took the study plan, worked for 2 months and now can contribute to the discussions in the maths forum

So take your time and work out using the BB as a bouncing board
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Feel your pain [#permalink]
I live in a world where everyone scores above a 700 - except for me.

I would look at this site as a chance to learn a few tricks that might get you 10-30 extra points.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Feel your pain [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Jsteph9267 wrote:
I live in a world where everyone scores above a 700 - except for me.

I would look at this site as a chance to learn a few tricks that might get you 10-30 extra points.

Well, everybody is at your resort - the motto here is contributing to each other's learning. Whatever you need, we hope you can find something for your needs and if we don't have it - demand it!

If you have problems locating things, drop me a Private Message. (Click PM under my message). See you around, and welcome,

Bogdan.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Feel your pain [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts