Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Schools:top schools
 Q43  V31 GMAT 2: 670  Q43  V38 GMAT 3: 680  Q48  V35
WE 1: Foreign Ministry - 6 years
WE 2: Law Firm - 3 years
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: GMAT and energy drinks [#permalink]
Kudos
Good advice, I wouldn't do anything too out of the ordinary before the test. I took a 5 hour energy before my last 2 CATs and my score was a lot higher than ever before. I haven't taken a CAT in over a month before those so I don't know if the energy helped at all. Either way I am going to be sure to drink one before my actual test next week.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
5 hour energy is the bomb - its one shot for 5 hours and no crash.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
In India from where we can get energy drinks like redbull? I doubt whether I have ever seen this in India or not. May be I'm living in remote area that's the reason :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm personally a big advocate of repetition before big tests. By this I mean that for a period of time (say, a week) before the test, do the exact same thing every day that you plan to do on test day. So, for example, if you have a 9:00am test time, make sure that you eat and drink (whatever is a normal breakfast for you) before that time and be sitting at a desk somewhere ready to exercise your brain (e.g., start doing practice problems or a practice CAT) right at 9:00. Your body gets into rhythms, so by getting into a routine in advance of test day, you ensure that no unknown variable will taint your performance.

This is especially true when it comes to coffee and/or energy drinks. I used to do the same thing before big exams: buy a red bull to drink half way through. That is a fine strategy if you are used to it. For someone that does not normally drink coffee or red bull, these drinks will just make you jittery and make your mind race or jump around more than you're used to. So, my advice is, if you start every day with a strong cup of coffee, do the same on test day. If not, don't. If you use red bull (or 5 hour energy) to reinvigorate yourself fairly often, then it will probably be beneficial on test day. If it's not part of your normal diet, don't switch it up on game day.

In short, test day is not the time to experiment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:top schools
 Q43  V31 GMAT 2: 670  Q43  V38 GMAT 3: 680  Q48  V35
WE 1: Foreign Ministry - 6 years
WE 2: Law Firm - 3 years
Send PM
madammepsychosis wrote:
I'm personally a big advocate of repetition before big tests. By this I mean that for a period of time (say, a week) before the test, do the exact same thing every day that you plan to do on test day ... So, my advice is, if you start every day with a strong cup of coffee, do the same on test day. If not, don't. .

This post makes sense --- absolutely agree with it.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&amp;A)
Send PM
madammepsychosis wrote:
I'm personally a big advocate of repetition before big tests. By this I mean that for a period of time (say, a week) before the test, do the exact same thing every day that you plan to do on test day. So, for example, if you have a 9:00am test time, make sure that you eat and drink (whatever is a normal breakfast for you) before that time and be sitting at a desk somewhere ready to exercise your brain (e.g., start doing practice problems or a practice CAT) right at 9:00. Your body gets into rhythms, so by getting into a routine in advance of test day, you ensure that no unknown variable will taint your performance.

This is especially true when it comes to coffee and/or energy drinks. I used to do the same thing before big exams: buy a red bull to drink half way through. That is a fine strategy if you are used to it. For someone that does not normally drink coffee or red bull, these drinks will just make you jittery and make your mind race or jump around more than you're used to. So, my advice is, if you start every day with a strong cup of coffee, do the same on test day. If not, don't. If you use red bull (or 5 hour energy) to reinvigorate yourself fairly often, then it will probably be beneficial on test day. If it's not part of your normal diet, don't switch it up on game day.

In short, test day is not the time to experiment.

some sound advice - thanks for sharing.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
This is what I use. And it's all I need. 1 bottle right after the AWA and for some reason, im not a scientist, but it keeps me alert and full for the rest of the day if drink it around 2PM without any slight sense of hunger even at dinner time. Simply epic.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
be careful, i find too much caffeine means my brain goes dead and I can't concentrate
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Thank you for your advice! Short after I drink Redbull I also sometimes feel the opposite effect. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
 Q31  V33 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
Send PM
If I am not mistaken, Red bull is also carbonated, which could make you feel bloated if you drink more than 2 cans.

They have this new product called Red Bull Energy shot. It's got 133mg caffeine per 100ml, no added carbon dioxide and comes in 60ml packages. It's twice as expensive and after trying it, I can say that it would most likely make me fall asleep during the exam.

Maybe eating some tea leafs could help :) I will give that a try.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Drinking a Red Bull during the break has become a GMAT Club ritual ;)

I personally think it's a placebo..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
no harm, will try it during my next simulation test ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Send PM
Can i take coffee just before verbal .... ?
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Ladooyuvi wrote:
Can i take coffee just before verbal .... ?

No, they wont allow you the leave that place for coffee and if you meant cold coffee then yes, you can carry it and take it before verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: IIMB (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
for my last MGMAT CAT, I took an energy gel as here in Sydney I could not find 5 hour energy shots. The gel comes in a small pouch and is easily available in coles etc. The pouch says that it is used by people who are working out or athletes etc. and is some sort of sugar concoction.

The problem is ,I took it during the break before verbal and when I started the section, I felt my eyes getting heavy and I could not concentrate. I was finding it very difficult to even look at the screen.

I ended up getting 35 in verbal , but more importantly I had a string of CR and 1 SC question wrong. That SC was at 300-500 level. Even worse , I had an entire RC wrong which is normally my strength and I never get more than 1 question wrong /passage if at all.

By the time I was done with the test , I actually felt quite fresh unlike how I feel after a mock. Just wanted to know if anyone did use these drinks successfully during their actual GMAT ? If yes then what did you use and what was your strategy.

Kindly advise.
GMAT Club Bot