Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Funny thing happened today. I just finished up a nice solid draft of all of my Booth essays and on my way out to dinner I saw somebody jogging with a Chicago Booth tshirt, in my completely random neighborhood of the southern city I live in (I have not seen one around here before). Since it happened on 10 10 10, it has to be an omen... it means I have gotten superstitious after frying my brain with writing over the last several months :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
Funny thing happened today. I just finished up a nice solid draft of all of my Booth essays and on my way out to dinner I saw somebody jogging with a Chicago Booth tshirt, in my completely random neighborhood of the southern city I live in (I have not seen one around here before). Since it happened on 10 10 10, it has to be an omen... it means I have gotten superstitious after frying my brain with writing over the last several months :)

And your post was at 10pm, lol.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:

And your post was at 10pm, lol.

See! It could have been worse - 10:10pm.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
i guess i am in for R2 - a big hail marry!!!! but i am a tom brady fan!!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
is the slide kept to a 4 page maximum as well?
and would a "fun facts about me" slide be ok or they want more serious?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
w103psp wrote:
gkumar wrote:
Regarding the first essay, I see that each of the three-four subquestions have a 300 word limit for a total of 900-1200 words, greater than the usual 500 to 750 words. However, when answering these subquestions, I noticed that I am averaging only 150-225 words per subquestion. To reach 300 words per section, I will have to provide significantly more detail than I have in my other applications.

Have people filled out their answers to reach the 300 word maximum? Is it acceptable to be only at 2/3s of the limit and answer the question concisely? I am unsure of the optimal strategy here. Advice here would be awesome.

Hmm, being 30% under is definitely low. I'm currently over 30% in each of the three sections, trying to whittle it down to just 10% over. :(

https://mbastudio.net/tag/word-limit/

Can you go under the limit? Similarly, I advise clients not to go less than -5% on any essay. In one sense, like all professional communicators, I believe strongly in “say what you have to say; say it once, strongly and clearly and then stop talking.” This is the royal road to more powerful communications. Certainly there’s no merit in padding, wafffling, and repeating yourself. But admissions essays are relatively short pieces of writing, and you — if you merit a place at a top b-school — are a multifaceted, talented individual with an valuable track record, and if you can’t find things to say to take up the word count this in itself flags that you have not been able to (or haven’t bothered to) properly investigate your own motivations or fully argue your merits.

Thanks w103psp and adalfu! Although my sub-essays are good and answer the question, your reasoning makes sense. I am going to fill out my sub-essays with a more detailed story by starting from scratch this weekend!

Are the word counts in Essay 1 strictly enforced? The reason I ask is because in Essay 1, I am getting 350 words for part a, 250 words for part b, and 300 words for the rest.

On average, the word count is less than 300 words per section. I have tried to cut down my words to make them as concise as possible without losing my message. Is this acceptable?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
Are the word counts in Essay 1 strictly enforced? The reason I ask is because in Essay 1, I am getting 350 words for part a, 250 words for part b, and 300 words for the rest.

On average, the word count is less than 300 words per section. I have tried to cut down my words to make them as concise as possible without losing my message. Is this acceptable?

That is a question for Adcom: admissions@chicagobooth.edu

I personally have just under 10% over for the 3 questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
gkumar wrote:

I didn't go over 300 in any of the areas, but I didn't feel like I was cutting anything out either. Keep in mind that you have to paste your responses into three separate text boxes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
gkumar wrote:

The adcom mentioned that they will see the word count for each essay displayed for them by the application. Maybe it matters more to them than it does at other schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
w103psp wrote:
gkumar wrote:

The adcom mentioned that they will see the word count for each essay displayed for them by the application. Maybe it matters more to them than it does at other schools.

I remember that, but they also mentioned that a little over is ok; just not a paragraph or paragraphs over.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
Got this email from Booth this morning.
Do you have last minute questions before the Round One application deadline? Then join us today for a live chat with prospective students at 11:00 am CDT. We'll chat about the 2011 application and the admissions process.

Click here to join this chat

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/chat/
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
w103psp wrote:
gkumar wrote:

Good point MBAgirl! I didn't think about the textbox approach.

In any case, I reached out to my editor friends and they brutally cut down (sheds tear) my essays. But the end result is that the essays are now at or under 300 words each! I think although I might have lots to say, knowing when to cut yourself off and shut up is priceless. :)

Hmm, on a side note, the last statement can metaphorically apply to liquor too...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Just submitted today for R1 for roll call purposes.

These next two months are going to last foreverrrrr
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Gonna submit tonight for sure :-D

For essay words count, I did them to the max - 300/300/295/750 exactly. Good stuff :-D Hope they don't come up with different count. Looking back PPT was fun. I prefer Excel over Powerpoint but still it was good.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
does anyone happen to have the chat transcript from earlier today?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bakfed wrote:
does anyone happen to have the chat transcript from earlier today?

https://forums.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum. ... hat&ptpw=y
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
thanks for the link!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  185   
Moderators: