Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: Apple iPad - Legit BSchool Tool? [#permalink]
I guessed it had a reasonable discount for students, much like Matlab. Turned out that it is $1500 for a student, rather than $2500 standard. The reduced versions are nearer $50, which would make some sense.

I am rather obsessed with Statistical or data visualization software.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
I think for business school you need two things: a fast and light laptop (pc) and a smartphone.

Maybe a kindle to read on (for pleaseure), but that's not necessary. I say that because I already have one ;)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Saw a guy using one in a Strategy and Competitive Advantage class at Wharton. The class had a no laptop policy and he was being sly about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I'm in bschool now and I have to say net books are by far the most popular option. It's the first time in my life I see so many people using net books, but they seem happy with them. I've only seen a couple of people with iPads. Mostly reading news and such.

Some textbooks are available on the Kindle, which is nice considering how heavy those books are. But then again they're also available for download on regular laptops.

The iPad sure is shiny though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
So you're an addicted early adopter, huh? So, why wait for the I-hype?

Archos had had superior tablet PCs for years now. I've owned mine for over 2 years. Wifi, pdfs, everything I've needed. Also, IT ALLOWS FLASH! and is much cheaper.

buuut...

you won't find it in Worst Buy, so most people don't hear about it. You're going to have to go to their website or even Amazondotcom to check it out

Sorry, but in every class I have someone decides to do a presentation on "the innovation of Apple", and I'm sick of it. Apple is really great at taking something that others made and using a huge marketing campaign to make everyone believe they came up with it. What's next? I-bike?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I received an iPad for christmas and this has been a pleasant surprise. I've been buying apps and accessories (case, stand, dock, wireless keyboard, screen protector, etc) in the last few days and I definitely think this will be useful for bschool.

Couple of apps that I bought and feel it may be useful in the Spring semester:

1) Goodreader - allows me to carry all type of documents and files on iPad.

2) Pages/Numbers - Word processing and spreadsheets (lite)

3) SkyFire Browser - converts flash to HTML5 so you can view flash on iPad

I am simply amazed how fast this thing is. Also, viewing NYTimes and browing internet is simply entertaining and joyful (can't even compare to surfing the web on my laptop) I have a mobile Thinkpad laptop but I think this will be a great companion. I think I will use this more to replace my smartphone (for checking emails, calendar, etc on the go) rather than to replace my laptop. iPad is sort of like a Gucci bag. You don't need it for business school but for one reason or another, you just have to have it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
I was also pleasantly surprised when I got my iPad (won it here on GC!!!). I'm using it far more around the house than I thought. My main issue with it for being useful at bschool is the touchscreen keyboard. I know, you can sync a wireless keyboard to it, but to me it's a hassle to carry that around and I would probably just go with a netbook instead. However, I recently saw this: https://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate.php

I'm sure there are other similar cases out there with an integrated keyboard, but I hadn't seen that before. But with this case I think it would suit most bschool requirements (note I'm not in bschool yet). There probably are some statistical packages one uses from time to time for assignments, but based on what I've read it seems like the iPad would generally suffice. I was also surprised by how quick it is.

As for the Apple fanboy vs Apple hater debate, I really have no interest in wading in but I do think it's clear that Apple has an extremely successful business and the turnaround from 1997 to now is pretty remarkable.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
However, I recently saw this: https://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggmate.php

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ohhhh....so getting this!!!

(Packing my wireless keyboard, dock, and stand so I can return them to Amazon.com..........)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
After playing around with a friend's iPad I have to say I was sold on it. Beyond the pure entertainment value (Angry Birds in HD, Netflix, web browsing, etc.), I think it is a useful tool that, while it doesn't replace a laptop, does a lot of great things that make it useful to have in school - assuming you can afford the price. The best way I heard it described is that the iPad is a content delivery device - allowing you to view content such as the web, email, or documents (especially with apps like Dropbox and the various Office clones), with limited editing capability, while a laptop gives you full content editing and creation ability with the tradeoff of greater size and weight.

I finally broke down and bought one and have been very happy with it. I use it primarily to read the WSJ, NY Times and Economist (the WSJ and Economist apps especially are by far better than their web experience), read cases and other class materials (which we have access to electronically), view documents from my laptop when I don't have it with me (I keep most of my documents in a Dropbox folder), as an e-reader (although i still prefer my Kindle to the iPad for this), and for entertainment. Of course there's still plenty of times I need my laptop in class (spreadsheet modeling, Stata, etc.), but there have been more than a few times where I've been able to use the iPad instead.

Would I have been able to survive school without it? Absolutely, but it has been a convenience to have it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
nink wrote:
I received an iPad for christmas and this has been a pleasant surprise. I've been buying apps and accessories (case, stand, dock, wireless keyboard, screen protector, etc) in the last few days and I definitely think this will be useful for bschool.

Couple of apps that I bought and feel it may be useful in the Spring semester:

1) Goodreader - allows me to carry all type of documents and files on iPad.

2) Pages/Numbers - Word processing and spreadsheets (lite)

3) SkyFire Browser - converts flash to HTML5 so you can view flash on iPad

I am simply amazed how fast this thing is. Also, viewing NYTimes and browing internet is simply entertaining and joyful (can't even compare to surfing the web on my laptop) I have a mobile Thinkpad laptop but I think this will be a great companion. I think I will use this more to replace my smartphone (for checking emails, calendar, etc on the go) rather than to replace my laptop. iPad is sort of like a Gucci bag. You don't need it for business school but for one reason or another, you just have to have it.

Sorry to digress, but nink, I think it's hilarious that somehow a ton of your posts seem to end with a reference to a bag of some sort...my mental image of you is now that of Joey from Friends when he gets the unisex bag...if you haven't seen it, you should.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
Sorry to digress, but nink, I think it's hilarious that somehow a ton of your posts seem to end with a reference to a bag of some sort...my mental image of you is now that of Joey from Friends when he gets the unisex bag...if you haven't seen it, you should.

You know I am concerned for myself as well. :oops:

Jerz wrote:
The best way I heard it described is that the iPad is a content delivery device

jeez, content delivery device.....spoken like a true Kellogg MBA :-D (god help me the day I incorporate those textbook words into everyday life....)
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
They weren't my words, I was just relaying how it was described by someone else (also a Kellogg MBA so I guess the criticism still stands)

That someone else also happened to intern as a product manager for certain company in Cupertino, CA, but that's another story.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
captainron042 wrote:
Sorry, but in every class I have someone decides to do a presentation on "the innovation of Apple", and I'm sick of it. Apple is really great at taking something that others made and using a huge marketing campaign to make everyone believe they came up with it. What's next? I-bike?

That sounds more like Microsoft to me!
VP
VP
Send PM
Looks like Wharton is giving away iPads to incoming EMBA students:

https://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/c9844f52-35fd ... z1EPe55mh7

Not sure it'll ever completely replace a laptop (kinda hard to run Stata on an iPad), but for day-to-day use I think tablets will be more and more common at bschool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
I find the Ipad to be a media viewing device. Inputting in any form is not really convenient or intuitive, sure you can fire off an email and update your status, but taking notes by typing or doing a penultimate app/stylus combo does not really work well... at least for me. IMHO it is meant to read or watch off of, not input or have too much interaction with. Id just go with a 3 lbs or less notebook and a desktop...
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: LEED AP
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Them green buildings, y'all.
Schools:GSB(R1) Haas(R1) Wharton(R1) Kellogg(R1) Ross(R2) Tepper(R2)
 Q45  V45
GPA: 3.67
WE 1: 4.5 yrs in architecture.
Send PM
Kudos
In 2 years, come back to this forum and reread it.
I'm sure in some way or another, it will be hilariously quaint.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
fbardolph wrote:
In 2 years, come back to this forum and reread it.
I'm sure in some way or another, it will be hilariously quaint.

Ha, you're exactly right.

So I return the question, is it now worth having an iPad (or a Surface or a Note or whatever) for B-school?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3