Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Crystal Ball [#permalink]
Hi sammer following you from some days...:)

Well love humour in your writing style.

Keep it up.

Will be discussing my profile soon!!!!!!!!
Director
Director
Send PM
arunabhparihar wrote:
Hi Sameer,
Request your help with my profile evaluation.
GMAT : 1st Attempt - 690 (50Q, 31 V, 5.0 AWA). Aug’10
2nd Attempt - 720 (51Q, 35V, 5.0 AWA). Sept’10
Undergrad : B.Tech(Honors) in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.

Yo Arunabh 'sup bro!

arunabhparihar wrote:
Areas of Interest: General Management/Operations

Experience details (Total Exp – 3 yrs. Employer – Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.)
1. 2010 Mar – Production Engineer, Core Group
:
Extracurricular:
:
Thank you for your time and effort!

arunabhparihar wrote:
Dried out a high pressure circuit, latest technology heaters, recycle gas compressor, gas compressors, leak tested, VGO-HDT, Atf and FCC-LPG Meroxes...Hydrogen Generation Unit (HGU) and its first ever VGO-HDT unit

I'm afraid the 'Mummy bachaaao' comment from my earlier post will apply here as well.

Reading this might make your future employer's heart go dhak-dhak. Considering you've listed General Management/Operations as your area of interest, I'd see that as a plus point for you.

Parantu, for B-schools admissions, let's talk a language that your reviewers would be comfortable with.

arunabhparihar wrote:
Extracurricular:
@college:
• Taught rural children for a year at IIT, Kharagpur, under the National Service Scheme (NSS) and attended a NSS camp in a village near Kharagpur, 2004-06.
:
• Got a 'kishor vigyanik' certificate from state government cell for securing an All India highest in mathematics, 2003.

@work:
• Rated ‘Outstanding’ in both of appraisals during my tenure in IOCL.
:

Nice. Impressive actually! I assume you also spent some time studying, bhratashree. Grades not mentioned here, so just curious.

Just be careful about how you present all this. Don't dump the whole thing for the reader to patiently read through and comprehend.

Make it easy for me (assuming I'm Adcom reading your app) to understand what this all means, buddy. Remember that I'm trying to build an image about you as I read all this. So it'll be in your interest if you don't clutter up my (already cluttered) mind. OK, Adcom role playing over. You can exhale now.

arunabhparihar wrote:
Target Colleges: Harvard, NYU Stern, ISB, Nangyang

Harvard to Nanyang. Hmm...quite a range you have there. All very much within reach.

arunabhparihar wrote:
I need to write essays for these colleges and also shortlist 2 other colleges. Would be great if you can tag my chances in these. Only criterion for college is great faculty, Good Alumni network, Scholarship would be an icing on the cake

For help on essay and shortlisting additional schools based on the criteria you have in mind, we could definitely help. Our process for these things is a little more involved (I believe hat-ke is the operative word here) than the other folks out there. So it'll mean you take the short jump to the other side of the line and reach out to us. After that, icing, cake etc sab khilayenge aapko.
Director
Director
Send PM
An1502 wrote:
Hi Sameer,
Anil-ji pranaam.

An1502 wrote:
I am glad that I finally found someone who can give me some good reviews on my Profile.
Haillaah, performance pressure full-on!

An1502 wrote:
I intend on applying for non-US based 1 year program B Schools. I gave my GMAT this month and have achieved a moderate score. Please go through my profile below and help me figure out my next move.

GMAT: 640 (Q-49,V-27).
Experience: I will have had 3.5 years of experience (in Luxury Retail Industry) by Sept. 2011 (the time when I wish to join a B School). Total experience: 3.5 years by Sept. 2011
Company- Swatch Group (Brand Tissot) as Sales Manager handling two major regions in India.
Qualifications: P.G.D.M - Full Time (Marketing) - 65%
B.E (Electronics) - 54%
I have a good extracurricular background.

I would really be obliged to have your reviews and B Schools that I could consider.

Thanks,
Anil.

I could give you a few options to consider with your current experiene level and GMAT. But I've got a query first.

You've already completed your MBA not too many moons back and you've scored a first class. That tells me ki aapke theoretical MBA fundas are in good shape.

So I'm curious to know why you want to go for another one so quickly (<5 yrs = quickly, IMHO). Have you already started getting the feeling that the first MBA hasn't delivered? Or are the crystal clear waters of pardes-land giving you the enticing come-hither look?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Friends, as the R1 i/v invites for ISB have started pouring in, we are very happy hear the fantastic news about our clients getting interview calls.

For those who've got calls and looking for help with interview prep, drop us a note...happy to spin some MCB magic on the prep. And for those who are aiming for R2, do reach out :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Looking for some mooh-phat public on this forum to share their thoughts on the blog. The shy ones are free to visit, read and go...'hmmm...food for thought'

MBA – Hype or Reality

Here’s a little fairy tale, a provocative one, to get your mental juices flowing.

After a lot of contemplation, you’ve come to the conclusion that the stalemate in your life can be addressed only by an MBA degree. You bust your backside and crack the tough entrance tests. You get into the dream business school of your choice, graduate with several fantastic career options and live happily ever after.

If you think that’s how the story goes for most candidates, it may be time for a reality check.

Read more about this on our blog and share your thoughts as comments below the post.

Why do the top MBA programs still attract you?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

Would really appreciate some assistance in deciding which Schools to apply for keeping in mind my profile and my future goals. So here goes

Nationality: Indian
Work Experience: 4+ at the time of matriculation (Applying for the fall 2011 session)
GMAT Score: 720 (V39,Q49) (1st attempt
)

Education:

Undergraduate: Business Management, India's top University, 58% (No GPA system)
Post Graduate: Business Management with a specialization in Marketing, GPA: 2.99/4

Extra Curricular Achievements:

Won a number of National Paper Presentation Competitions
Member of the Student's Council during my Post Graduate Studies

Work Experience:

Joined the Finance Arm of a Fortune 5 company after my Post Graduate Studies as a part of the Leadership Development Program
Gained Cross Functional Exposure Across Sales, Portfolio Management and am Currently the Product Manager in my vertical responsible for Customer Life Cycle Management, Brand Building, Profitable Customer acquisition and overall P&L management. This role usually entails extensive experience and the avg work experience for candidates in this role is 7-8 years.

Achievements:
Recently Promoted to the position of Lead Product Manager
Awarded the Best Project Award in the Leadership Trainee Cadre for the year 2007-08

Strengths:
Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking and execution across Education and at the work place and suitable recognition of these achivements
Relatively different profile vis a vis the stereotypical Indian Male, Engineer, IT work experience
Decent & balanced GMAT score
Excellent Recommendations

Weaknesses
Average Academics but for a few spikes in between
Relatively weak community service & social deeds

Grey Areas:
Already a post graduate in management

Areas of Interest:
Marketing & Product Management
Business Consulting

Applications:

International:
INSEAD: Due to its tremendous reputation as a world class school and 1 year curriculum (not very keen on applying to European colleges keeping in mind the state of the economy in Europe)

USA:
Have basically broken it into 3 tiers based on GMATClub rankings

Tier 1:
Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Wharton, MIT

Tier 2:
Tuck, Columbia, Kellogg, Haas, NYU Stern

Tier 3:
Ross, Duke Fuqua, Darden, Yale, Tepper

I want to apply to atleast 1 Tier 1 college, 2-3 Tier 2 colleges and 1-2 Tier 3 colleges

Important things I look for in a college:

1) Relevance to my career goals & objectives
2) Career advancement & job opportunities post graduation
3) Strong reputation for excellence
4) Strong alumni community network
5) Diverse International student community
6) Opportunities for financial aid

Keeping in mind my profile and areas of interest, need your views and suggestions on which colleges do I apply to.

I am planning to apply in R2 now as I have already missed the R1 deadlines for most of these colleges

Also how do you rate the Kellogg 1 yr MBA program to its 2 year MBA program.

Looking forward to your reply..

Warm Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
Hii Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile. I am about to apply to ISB ( 2nd Round)
The profile features are :
1) Academic Background:
a) Engineering: Mining Engineering (8.13)
College : Indian School of Mines.
Academic Achievements:
a) 4 Gold Medals : World Mining Congress (London)
: W.H.Pickering ( Mining, Geological and
Metallurgical Institute of India )
: 2 University Gold Medals.
b) 2 National level Research papers. (One getting implemented at Tata Steel)
c) Branch Position : 1 st in a batch of 41.
d) Good Extracurricular activities. (University Blue Basketball)

Professional Experience:
Company : Tata Steel.
Total Exp : 3 Years.
Professional Achievements :
1) Division representative in Tata Steel.
2) Leader of Emergency Team in UG Fire.
3) Mountaineering Uttarkashi : A Grade. (15000 feet)
4) Manager (Operations) : Lead a team of 256 Mining Associates.
5) Manager (Development): Mine planning of 280 MT Material Output Mine.
6) Manager (Knowledge Management) (additional).

2) I have resigned from Tata Steel and started my own social venture. Its at pilot level, and trying to obtain funds from Venture capitalists.The project is addresses basic needs of farmers as well as has great business feasibility.

Well friends, there are other features also, but I think this should suffice. My Gmat Scores are:
GMAT 1: 640 (Q 50, V 27 ). AWA 5.0.
GMAT 2: 710 (Q 50, V 35 ). AWA 5.5.

I would be obliged, if I can have your comments and critical evaluation of my profile.

I am targetting the following universities:
1) ISB 2011 (Round 2).
2) Kellog.
3) Wharton.
4) Yale.
5) INSEAD.

All you comments are most valuable. Please do leave your comments.

Thanks in advance friends....
Praveen
Director
Director
Send PM
sandy2012 wrote:
Hi Sameer,

Request you to evaluate my profile.

Key data points
Indian
31/Male
GMAT 640 (Q48, V29, AWA 6.0)
8 Years of experience

I currently work with the software division of SIEMENS, and I lead the marketing & communications initiatives for the division in India. During my 5 years with the company, I have had a number of assignments that has impacted the business in India.

:
:
I guess this was too detail a post, sorry about that.

My question to you 1. Which schools should i apply? 2. DO i need to re take GMAT?

Look forward to your inputs.

Thanks and best regards,

Sandy

Hey Sandy,

Some big structural changes happening out there with SISL, huh?

Before we jump into your queries, a quick one from my side.

Are you currently in the Worli office or in Bangalore?
Director
Director
Send PM
praveenism wrote:
Hii Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile. I am about to apply to ISB ( 2nd Round)
The profile features are :
1) Academic Background:
a) Engineering: Mining Engineering (8.13)
College : Indian School of Mines.
Academic Achievements:
a) 4 Gold Medals : World Mining Congress (London)
: W.H.Pickering ( Mining, Geological and
Metallurgical Institute of India )
: 2 University Gold Medals.
b) 2 National level Research papers. (One getting implemented at Tata Steel)
c) Branch Position : 1 st in a batch of 41.
d) Good Extracurricular activities. (University Blue Basketball)

Professional Experience:
Company : Tata Steel.
Total Exp : 3 Years.
Professional Achievements :
1) Division representative in Tata Steel.
2) Leader of Emergency Team in UG Fire.
3) Mountaineering Uttarkashi : A Grade. (15000 feet)
4) Manager (Operations) : Lead a team of 256 Mining Associates.
5) Manager (Development): Mine planning of 280 MT Material Output Mine.
6) Manager (Knowledge Management) (additional).

2) I have resigned from Tata Steel and started my own social venture. Its at pilot level, and trying to obtain funds from Venture capitalists.The project is addresses basic needs of farmers as well as has great business feasibility.

Well friends, there are other features also, but I think this should suffice. My Gmat Scores are:
GMAT 1: 640 (Q 50, V 27 ). AWA 5.0.
GMAT 2: 710 (Q 50, V 35 ). AWA 5.5.

I would be obliged, if I can have your comments and critical evaluation of my profile.

I am targetting the following universities:
1) ISB 2011 (Round 2).
2) Kellog.
3) Wharton.
4) Yale.
5) INSEAD.

All you comments are most valuable. Please do leave your comments.

Thanks in advance friends....
Praveen

Praveen, I am Sameer's partner and we've been helping Indian candidates for a while now. In my opinion, you've got a pretty good profile (good undergrad, different work-ex, TATA name, social venture). You would sail through in a school such as ISB with the right set of essays.

For the other schools you mention, some international experience usually helps. Though the TATA name is pretty good (courtsey JLR and Corus) in the global corporate circle these days. Other thing that you need to be cognizant about is the years of work-ex (and a relatively modest GMAT); this is a bit on the lower side from intl. b-school perspective. You'll need to put in some amazing essays to get the audience hooked on to you.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi crystal ball masters...
It would be of great help if you could evaluate my profile.
Applying to:
1. ISB R2
2. Great lakes.
3. SP jain pgdm
Profile:
10th-80%(assam state board)
12th 69%(assam state board) :oops: --thought was not imp at dat time as engg entrance separate.
Mechanical engg from NIT jamshedpur- 8.56/10
wanted to join only a core company and did not sit for any IT comps.
Work ex: july 2006-present in Larsen and Toubro-almost 5 years in april 2011.
Domain: Marine structure and ship design. Provides consultancy to Ship builders and owners.
Was promoted to team lead within a year. Lead a team of 10 ppl for a mega ship building project(one of a kind in India)
since then involved in many projects for Indian navy etc.
At present workin as Asst. manager.
Reason for MBA after being in core engineering for 5 years: Was not in the race for MBA till recently-dint do the CAT thingy..Was happy with my job.
But realized that a MBA is needed for career advancement. to break a sort of glass ceiling dat exist.
Post MBA: wants to stay in my core engineering field but at a managerial level with greater responsibility.
Also dont mind getting into business development for an engineering firm.
In short: want to use my MBA as a spring board for the leap. Hence an executive MBA from the best-ISB.

EC: cricket captain for school and NIT team. Member of L&T team
Also a football goal keeper throughout and m still in my company team.
But nothing great to show off....
Passion: travelling-biking-done crazy stuff in here-travelled arround the country on bike-just for the heck of it..photography--hence mostly found on my bike with my camera in the himalayas.
But nothing much in the community service side......

But here is the problem bit:
GMAT 1st attempt:690 (48q,35v)

Should I appear again(have time till 20th nov)...because i know i can get atleast 720s.

Please advice...if its enough for my preferred schools.
Director
Director
Send PM
sajibbaruah wrote:
Hi crystal ball masters...
It would be of great help if you could evaluate my profile.
Applying to:
1. ISB R2
2. Great lakes.
3. SP jain pgdm
Profile:
10th-80%(assam state board)
12th 69%(assam state board) :oops: --thought was not imp at dat time as engg entrance separate.
Mechanical engg from NIT jamshedpur- 8.56/10
wanted to join only a core company and did not sit for any IT comps.
Work ex: july 2006-present in Larsen and Toubro-almost 5 years in april 2011.
Domain: Marine structure and ship design. Provides consultancy to Ship builders and owners.
Was promoted to team lead within a year. Lead a team of 10 ppl for a mega ship building project(one of a kind in India)
since then involved in many projects for Indian navy etc.
At present workin as Asst. manager.
Reason for MBA after being in core engineering for 5 years: Was not in the race for MBA till recently-dint do the CAT thingy..Was happy with my job.
But realized that a MBA is needed for career advancement. to break a sort of glass ceiling dat exist.
Post MBA: wants to stay in my core engineering field but at a managerial level with greater responsibility.
Also dont mind getting into business development for an engineering firm.
In short: want to use my MBA as a spring board for the leap. Hence an executive MBA from the best-ISB.

EC: cricket captain for school and NIT team. Member of L&T team
Also a football goal keeper throughout and m still in my company team.
But nothing great to show off....
Passion: travelling-biking-done crazy stuff in here-travelled arround the country on bike-just for the heck of it..photography--hence mostly found on my bike with my camera in the himalayas.
But nothing much in the community service side......

But here is the problem bit:
GMAT 1st attempt:690 (48q,35v)

Should I appear again(have time till 20th nov)...because i know i can get atleast 720s.

Please advice...if its enough for my preferred schools.

Sajib, you've got some unique experience and i am sure can weave some brilliant stories around shipbuilind which in itself is quite fascinating (my experience as a consultant in that industry). That apart, ur GMAT score should be sufficient for great lakes. But for an institute like SP Jain that traditionally had CAT, it is likely to be on the lower side. For ISB, you might just fit the bill, but who knows given the competition. My frank counsel would be to re-take this - strictly if you beleive that you can score 720 or more - it will make a good impact on your profile.

You could give it a shot with this score, but you wouldnt be doing full justice to your profile with that. And make sure you write some cracker of essays :)

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks mcbMcK....will retake the gmat...meanwhile will work on my essays...thanks
Director
Director
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
Hi Sameer,
Here is my profile, would you please have a look at it?
:
:
In a dilemma here,
Since I am only 24 (now), I feel like applying to only the top schools (or rather dream schools). But I do not wish to
wait another year now that I have decided to switch careers.

I am looking forward to a 2 year FT course. I preferred Europe because I will be able to travel Europe during those 2 years :)
But only LBS has a top-tier 2-year course where all the top MC firms come for recruiting.

Apart from LBS, I plan on applying to Wharton and Harvard.

I will only be applying round 2 and I believe I will be able to write memorable stories, with substance and impact, about my experiences, with a little guidance off-course.
As you can see the scale(money-wise) of my ECs and work is pretty less - I haven't helped make a ton of money or helped save people in a crisis, but I believe I have been able influence change in many situations.

Are the schools I mentioned atleast reach/ambitious? Are there people like me studying in such schools? (I hear only stories about rock-stars and world savers, but there are 900+817+401 students each year, there should be atleast a few like me studying there :)

Thanks in advance!
srjaidev

Hi Jaidev,

srjaidev wrote:
Indian Male (aren't we all! :-/) (25yrs at Matriculation

The Census of India will disagree with that statement, but I hear you bro.

srjaidev wrote:
As you can see the scale(money-wise) of my ECs and work is pretty less - I haven't helped make a ton of money or helped save people in a crisis, but I believe I have been able influence change in many situations.

Every applicant doesn't get the opportunity to make a million dollar impact on every organisation. So fikar naat. You've done your bit in life. Now think what you can do with those stories.

srjaidev wrote:
>> after MBA - change career into Strategy consulting
>> Apart from LBS, I plan on applying to Wharton and Harvard.
srjaidev wrote:
I'm still here sir and still listening. Go on.

srjaidev wrote:
790 in a GMATPrep test

Dhadaam! That was me falling off the chair. Back on my seat now. Gained my composure...and still listening.

srjaidev wrote:
Are the schools I mentioned atleast reach/ambitious? Are there people like me studying in such schools? (I hear only stories about rock-stars and world savers, but there are 900+817+401 students each year, there should be atleast a few like me studying there :)

Alright. So here's the gist as I get it. Young, impatient and ambitious guy. Decent stories.
Ab soch hi liya hai that you want to apply toh it's nobody's pitashree's biz to stop you.

Here's a little secret. Many guys appear like rockstars after they get into the top schools. Don't let that scare you. After you get into a top school, your profile will get upgraded to the rockstars status as well for MBA hopefuls who are still on the other side of the table. Sab mithya hai.

If you are looking for help beyond naitik santvana (any better term for 'moral support') from rockstars, sorry, regular guys with Harvard, Strategy consulting, McKinsey etc on their CVs, gimme a shout, buddy.
Director
Director
Send PM
Indian MBA Blogs: Are you an MBA Star?
You are Indian. You’ve been fighting for your MBA seat in the toughest applicant pool. Your dedicated efforts have borne fruit (you have a great GMAT score or a seat at one of the top MBA programs or just an interesting story to narrate). You are articulate (and considerate) and believe in sharing your wisdom with the rest of your brethren. We think you are an MBA Star!
Read more...

We are looking for a few good men and women. Check out the post and let us know if you fit the bill? Or do you know anyone else who might be worthy of the crown?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:ISB, IIMs ExPGP, INSEAD, XLRI (GMP)
 Q44  V28
Send PM
Hi,

This is Chetna Mehra writing to you.
I am keen on doing my MBA from ISB.
Can you please take a look at my profile.

Female/26/Indian
work ex- 4 years

GMAT: First Attempt
Expecting score between 650-700
Taking in November

Other B-Schools of interest: Great Lakes, SPJIMR

Work ex details:
I am currently working with Businessworld (Magazine, online/ ABP Pvt Ltd.) as a senior correspondent and sub-editor.
I have been with BW since three years now. (I am in-charge of the B-School section at BW)

Worked for an IT B2B News portal as a reporter for 8 Months.

Worked for 4 months in an NGO as editorial assistant for 4 months.

TRAINING:
I have worked as as intern with Doordarshan, Statesman and Ad Factors (an advertising agency) during my college days.

Academics:
PGD in Journalism from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan
I have done my Bachelors in Journalism (Mass Communication) from GGSIP University (Delhi)
MA in Mass Comm. (Distance learning)

Extra-Curricular
I was a member of University's media cell for three years.
Member of the University's cultural fest organising team.
Won First prize in the University Cultural Fest in a Group Dance Competition.
Attended a number of workshops on Documentary film making.
Member of the college magazine's editorial team.

Hobbies and Interest
Poetry and Blogging.
Reading is an unevitable exercise.

I would really appreciate if you could review my profile.

Looking forward to hear from you on this at the earliest.

Thanks a lot!

regards,
Chetna
Director
Director
Send PM
chetnamehra wrote:
Hi,

This is Chetna Mehra writing to you.
I am keen on doing my MBA from ISB.
Can you please take a look at my profile.

Female/26/Indian
work ex- 4 years

GMAT: First Attempt
Expecting score between 650-700
Taking in November

Other B-Schools of interest: Great Lakes, SPJIMR

Work ex details:
I am currently working with Businessworld (Magazine, online/ ABP Pvt Ltd.) as a senior correspondent and sub-editor.
I have been with BW since three years now. (I am in-charge of the B-School section at BW)

Worked for an IT B2B News portal as a reporter for 8 Months.

Worked for 4 months in an NGO as editorial assistant for 4 months.

TRAINING:
I have worked as as intern with Doordarshan, Statesman and Ad Factors (an advertising agency) during my college days.

Academics:
PGD in Journalism from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan
I have done my Bachelors in Journalism (Mass Communication) from GGSIP University (Delhi)
MA in Mass Comm. (Distance learning)

Extra-Curricular
I was a member of University's media cell for three years.
Member of the University's cultural fest organising team.
Won First prize in the University Cultural Fest in a Group Dance Competition.
Attended a number of workshops on Documentary film making.
Member of the college magazine's editorial team.

Hobbies and Interest
Poetry and Blogging.
Reading is an unevitable exercise.

I would really appreciate if you could review my profile.

Looking forward to hear from you on this at the earliest.

Thanks a lot!

regards,
Chetna

Chetna,

You've got some pretty interesting things going on for you here:
  • Very different work-ex and relevant considering u've been doing b-schools.
  • Impressive ECs
  • NGO experience

All these give you a definite edge on the normal run-of-the-mill candidate. Having said that, for a school like ISB, it is important to assess that you also have good analytical skills. So do try to push for a 700+ gmat to really cement ur chances. Offcourse, a lower score still gives you a realistic shot at it.

In summary, your's is the kind of profile adcom would love to read about, provided offcourse you put the right spices into it :)

Cheers!
Director
Director
Send PM
gmatxyz wrote:
Hi Sameer,

Please evaluate my profile:
I appeared in GMAT last week and scored 700 (50 Q, 34V). I was expecting a much better score but unfortunately I made mistakes in verbal. My AWA score is 5.5. Is this score good enough to expect an admit from some of the top 10 US business schools.
Personal details: Male/31/India
Other credentials:
B.Tech. Dept Rank 2 (84%)
M.Tech. IIT Bombay 9.9/10
Experience - 7 years (by 2011), working in one of the world's best semiconductor company. I have worked on the design and development of the state of art products.
I have couple of patents and papers on my name.
Top priorities: Haas (berkeley) and Stanford

What are my chances? Do you feel low verbal score can reduce my chances to get the admit? Shall I focus more on other aspects of the application or work on retaking GMAT?

Thanks in advance.

Your acads are spectacular. Though I'd have preferred a slightly higher GMAT, it may be difficult for you to take another shot and yet be ready for R2 deadlines. If that's the case, skip the GMAT part and focus on the others. If it's still possible for you to bump up the overall score (don't worry about the low verbal now), then I'd say why not.

Are you just starting out or have you already applied to a few schools in R1?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  41