Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Where to apply?!?!?! [#permalink]
bakfed wrote:
The 350 will not no real impact on your application. All schools pretty much consider your highest score. Plus, this isn't something that you can do about anyway. At your current stage, just research on schools and determine where you'll apply, but don't let that 350 deter you from applying to top schools.

Will my 710 be enough to mitigate a low UG GPA?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
^^^how low?
It depends on so many other factors...
whats your work experience?
ECs?
What schools are you targeting,

Overall a 710 can help mitigate a low GPA but not at a school where thats below the average GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^how low?
It depends on so many other factors...
whats your work experience?
ECs?
What schools are you targeting,

Overall a 710 can help mitigate a low GPA but not at a school where thats below the average GMAT.

2.7 from a Top public unversity. First in family to go to college and youngest of several children.

Underrep minority, male, 28

I will have 6.5 years of WE by fall 2011. I'm very productive in my job as what I do can be quantified and have been recognized nationally with my company. I also worked throughout college and have strong EC post college. I like Yale a lot but am looking at Ross, UT and Stern.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I think your 710 will help alleviate some concerns that adcoms are going to have when they see the 2.7. Nonetheless, you will probably want to write the optional essay on what happened in college. Have you thought about building up an alternative transcript? With an alternative transcript and a 710, it would definitely help you. I wouldn't worry too much about how a 710 may or may not mitigate your 2.7. It is what it is and you just have to go with it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Once again, I agree with bakfed,

I too have a low GPA and built an alt transcript, lets see how it works.

One thing, on your short list, Yale and NYU are generally less forgiving than Ross and UT for a lower GPA. Yales GMAT avg this year is going to be 722 WOW!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[quote="bakfed"]I think your 710 will help alleviate some concerns that adcoms are going to have when they see the 2.7. Nonetheless, you will probably want to write the optional essay on what happened in college. Have you thought about building up an alternative transcript? With an alternative transcript and a 710, it would definitely help you. I wouldn't worry too much about how a 710 may or may not mitigate your 2.7. It is what it is and you just have to go with it.[/

I thought about doing an alternative transcript but decided not to. Primarely because I had already taken Fin, Acc, Eco, Stats, MIS and Management in college.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:

One thing, on your short list, Yale and NYU are generally less forgiving than Ross and UT for a lower GPA. Yales GMAT avg this year is going to be 722 WOW!

I'd say you are 100% correct about NYU and Yale being less forgiving. Both are very numbers focused.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

I'd say you are 100% correct about NYU and Yale being less forgiving. Both are very numbers focused.

Texas' average GPA is actually the same as Stern's. The 80 % spread is a bit wider with Texas (3.0 vs. 3.1), but it seems to me that both are relatively forgiving of GPAs.

That said, a 710 GMAT won't really offset a low GPA at Stern (where it's about average) as it will with Texas.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am interested in Yale/Stern as well and have a related question regarding GPA's.

My Ugrad GPA is 3.27 from a top 3 public. Will a 3.7 grad gpa from an Ivy offset that at schools like Yale, and Stern? How much do grad grades help offset ugrad grades?

Btw I took some quant courses like stats, non-profit finance, micro-finance, and civil engineering while in grad school (A's).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:

When all is said and done I actually think I will have a competitve application despite the low GPA. I have an interesting story to tell. We'll see though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Wow from a 350 to 710, that is freakin awesome, how about a debrief? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gtr022001 wrote:
Wow from a 350 to 710, that is freakin awesome, how about a debrief? :)

Honestly, the 350 was definately an anomoly and was probably not truly my base. Having said that I certainly did what one should not do when preparing for the GMAT. When I initially started the 1st time around I only used the OG and PR Cracking ghe Gmat. I actually used the "review" section in the OG for my learning material. The PR book is not sufficient if one wants to do well. It leaves out many details and perhaps assumes one already knows. I also never took a practice test and assumed I would get it on test day. Well on test I panicked and did not even finish either section. The second time around I used all of the ManGmat books and studied for a little more than two months. I studied all the time and did not have a social life at all. My schedule was something like this:

Late July until 10/16.
Sun and Sat 9am to 1pm. Then about 2pm to 5ish. No evenings.
M-TH 8pm to 11 pm. I did not study on Fridays
I also studied during my lunches at work. Again, the ManGmat books were great and really spelled everything out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Remember that GMAT score is only 1 of multiple factors when they consider your candidacy. Review the school's priorities first!
GMAT Club Bot