Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Pronounsx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3066 [406]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [131]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [29]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
eyunni wrote:
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, which dates from the eighth century, was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders.

(A) to keep from
(B) to keep it from
(C) to avoid
(D) in order that it would avoid
(E) in order to keep from

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the chalice was buried so that it would not be stolen by invaders.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• "in order to" and "so that" are the correct, idiomatic constructions.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "to keep from being stolen"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the chalice had itself buried so that it would not be stolen by invaders; the intended meaning is that the chalice was buried by someone so that it would not be stolen by invaders.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "to keep it from being stolen", conveying the intended meaning - that the chalice was buried by someone so that it would not be stolen by invaders. Further, Option B avoids the idiom error seen in Option D, as it does not make use of the "in order to" or "so that" construction. Additionally, Option B is free from any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "to avoid being stolen"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the chalice had itself buried so that it would not be stolen by invaders; the intended meaning is that the chalice was buried by someone so that it would not be stolen by invaders.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "in order that"; please remember, "in order to" and "so that" are the correct, idiomatic constructions. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "in order that it would", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in order to keep from being stolen"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the chalice had itself buried so that it would not be stolen by invaders; the intended meaning is that the chalice was buried by someone so that it would not be stolen by invaders. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "in order to", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [15]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Between B and C, B is my choice

B) ... a ... chalice, ..., was ... buried to keep it from being stolen ...

C) ...a ... chalice, ..., was ... buried to avoid being stolen...

Please note how effectively I got rid of irrelevant modifiers and other sentence parts(distractors); this helps isolate the problem.
"to keep.." phrase is an adverbial phrase(answers the question Why?).
Now, what is being stolen?; here, C is not just ambiguous, it is meaningless. We need a noun or pronoun to precede "being stolen"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [13]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
B.

A sounds as if chalice itself is keeping from being stolen.
C also sounds as if chalice itself is avoiding.
D unidiomatic and wordy
E redundant and wordy and same flaw in its meaning as A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, which dates from the eighth century, was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders.

(A) to keep from(what was kept form being stolen? a pronoun should be used here)
(B) to keep it from
(C) to avoid (who or what is avoiding?)
(D) in order that it would avoid(the chalice whould avoid? not chalice itself should be avoided from being stolen)
(E) in order to keep from ( same as A)
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
OE: The phrase to keep from being stolen is incomplete and does not indicate what might be stolen. Inserting a pronoun makes it clear that it is the chalice that might be stolen.

B is correct - The sentence is clarified by inserting the word it, which refers back to chalice.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [8]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello hammerofodin,

Thank you for reaching out to me through a PM. :-)

Quote:
Even though I read all comments, it still does not make 100% sense for me.

Kindly, can you provide me similiar examples about usage?

Read the original sentence very carefully. The way it is worded, it is difficult to say who was being protected from being stolen - the chalice or the person who buried it.

Yes, I agree that it does not make sense to say that a person was buried to keep from being stolen. However, among the five answer choices, there is an answer choice that explicitly uses the pronoun it to make it absolutely clear that the intention was to keep the chalice from being stolen, and hence it was buried.

The answer choice that leaves no scope for any kind of ambiguity is always superior than the other choices.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
We may actually see this by replacing each answer option in the original sentence.

Quote:
(A) to keep from
Original Sentence.
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders.
Who kept chalice from being stolen????? Did Chalice keep itself? Meaning is distorted....
Quote:
(B) to keep it from
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, was probably buried to keep it(chalice)from being stolen by invaders.
The pronoun makes it much clearer, that someone else kept chalice somewhere to prevent from being stolen.
Quote:
(C) to avoid
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, was probably buried to avoid being stolen by invaders.
Similar to A.
Quote:
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, was probably buried in order that it would avoid being stolen by invaders.
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, was probably buried in order to keep from being stolen by invaders.
To wordy and awkward to be even considered as contestants.... B is the best option available.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
Send PM
i have learned that it refers to the antecedents along with all the modifiers attached to it. so in this case does it refers to 'recently discovered chalice'?
please guide experts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
swapnilce.nitdgp wrote:
i have learned that it refers to the antecedents along with all the modifiers attached to it. so in this case does it refers to 'recently discovered chalice'?
please guide experts.
That's correct. The it refers to the same chalice mentioned at the beginning of the sentence, the one that was discovered recently.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
To avoid ambiguity, we need the pronoun to refer to the chalice.
Of all the options given to us, Option B is superior.

Let’s scan the options:

(A) to keep from --> missing pronoun
(B) to keep it from
(C) to avoid

Eliminate Options A, C, D and E

Option B is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
eyunni wrote:

(A) to keep from
(B) to keep it from
(C) to avoid

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AndrewN
Why pronoun is required in below sentence ?
It seems complete.
"Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice was probably buried to keep from being stolen by invaders.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos