Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation(Low GMAT & Low GPA ) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pddm wrote:
Thanks, Linda.
What business schools accept candidates with such GMAT scores(630). Do any of the ranked schools accept such scores at all?
Because, the schools I am targeting are ranked between 30 -50(UCSD is not even ranked). If these schools don't accept, then I guess no other will?! :(
Could you please suggest schools relevant to me.

Would you consider preparing again and retaking the GMAT?

Don't focus so much on the ranking. I am guessing that you are located in California and the reality is that you are applying to almost all UC programs. Now all these schools do accept a few applicants with a 630 GMAT, but you are asking me for a profile evaluation based on what's most likely to happen. Schools that are less picky about the GMAT would include MBA programs that are part of the Cal State system, or private programs like Santa Clara, Pepperdine, or Loyola Marymount. You may also want to check out Hult in Boston, which looks more at work experience than at the GMAT and has a very international program.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
pddm wrote:
Thanks, Linda.
What business schools accept candidates with such GMAT scores(630). Do any of the ranked schools accept such scores at all?
Because, the schools I am targeting are ranked between 30 -50(UCSD is not even ranked). If these schools don't accept, then I guess no other will?! :(

Don't focus so much on the ranking. I am guessing that you are located in California and the reality is that you are applying to almost all UC programs. Now all these schools do accept a few applicants with a 630 GMAT, but you are asking me for a profile evaluation based on what's most likely to happen. Schools that are less picky about the GMAT would include MBA programs that are part of the Cal State system, or private programs like Santa Clara, Pepperdine, or Loyola Marymount. You may also want to check out Hult in Boston, which looks more at work experience than at the GMAT and has a very international program.

Best,
Linda

Thanks Linda,

Based on your advice, I'm going for a retake! :)
However, this means applying in R2 & even R3 for a couple of colleges. :(
I have one more concern: Even if I do well in the retake , does my relatively low work ex (2 yrs) weaken my profile?
I have heard people say that unless you have a great extracurriculars and GPA, GMAT 700+ also doesn't help much.
I know, that I should be concentrating more on GMAT now and less on speculating!
But, there is a lot of guessing game happening everywhere and a sound opinion from an expert would be highly appreciated.
Send PM
Expert Reply
pddm wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
pddm wrote:
Thanks, Linda.

Best,
Linda

Thanks Linda,

Based on your advice, I'm going for a retake! :)
However, this means applying in R2 & even R3 for a couple of colleges. :(
I have one more concern: Even if I do well in the retake , does my relatively low work ex (2 yrs) weaken my profile?
I have heard people say that unless you have a great extracurriculars and GPA, GMAT 700+ also doesn't help much.
I know, that I should be concentrating more on GMAT now and less on speculating!
But, there is a lot of guessing game happening everywhere and a sound opinion from an expert would be highly appreciated.

My expert opinion mirrors yours: Focus less on speculating and more on strengthening your qualification so you will have more reasons for an acceptance and less for a rejection.

Yes your relatively low work experience will work against you at schools with higher levels of work experience at matriculation, but you should aim for schools with lower levels of work experience at matriculation.

Another option: Wait a year. Improve your GMAT. Apply R1 with a higher GMAT and one more year of work experience. In the interim, get involved in something other than work and applications so that you can discuss a non-professional or community service activity.

You might be interested in Where Should You Apply? A Guide to Selecting the Best MBA Programs.

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
You are not considering part-time programs?
All schools you are interested have them.
Generally, part-time programs have wider range of acceptable GMAT scores.

I am debating whether I should go to full or part time programs in South California. Any thoughts (pluses/minuses) will be very appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot