Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Best Resume/CV Format, Template, Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rid82 wrote:
I'm struggling to put everything in one page.... do you think TNR 10 is too small? :)

Probably, especially if it will be printed out
I have seen a few two-page résumés, but I think that's a little too much.

I would suggest to take out the least valuable items. If you can identify them :wink:

FYI: most companies now require you to enter your resume into their online system ( for a job that is)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
lonewolf wrote:
can anyone provide a link to Tuck Resume? It seems the book is off already.
Also, some resume sample from HBS would also be helpful.

thanks in advance

Hi everybody,

You can see same topic at the side bar of this site. You can find out some thing same your questions or use search box or this site.

If you want to do more info, you also visit at:Resume templates
Best rgs
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
One tip I received regarding GMAT and GPA on a resume is (one that no doubt everyone's heard by now): if it's good, put it; if not, then don't.

What exactly does "good" mean though? The conventional wisdom is 700+ and 3.5+ is safe to put on the resume; however, I was told recently that even this may backfire unintentionally. For example, if you got a 700 and your school's GMAT average is 710, you are implicitly telling the recruiter that you got lower than 50% of your classmates.

Like most things, this isn't a hard rule, but you may want to think twice about GMAT and GPA on the resume if you're far below your school's posted average.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Question: Do you think that what was essentially full time work for a church (though unpaid) should be included in the Experience section?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
also, is it overkill to list my SAT1 & 2 scores on my resume if I need to strengthen my case for quantitative competency? I was an English major who took Stats (B-) and two Econ classes (A-, B) in college. I scored a 1510 (800 on Math) on SAT1 and 790 and 780 on the two Math SAT2s.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And is it necessary/how would you indicate an 8-month sabbatical from your job on a resume?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
imkabob wrote:
also, is it overkill to list my SAT1 & 2 scores on my resume if I need to strengthen my case for quantitative competency? I was an English major who took Stats (B-) and two Econ classes (A-, B) in college. I scored a 1510 (800 on Math) on SAT1 and 790 and 780 on the two Math SAT2s.

I think it's fair to say a test you took in high school is "past the expiration date" as Ross's Admissions Director would say. I think I'd laugh out loud if I saw someone's SAT score on a resume. If you have time, take a calc class.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Quick question guys -

Is it OK to have tables in the MS Office Word document? I saw some resumes in Haas resume book and liked the format which has 'education', 'experience' etc aligned to the left (obviously in a table) and related info aligned to the right. I am attaching this sample resume that I downloaded from Microsoft.

Can anyone advice me if there are any issues using such a template or style. Will the word document be viewed as a Word doc or PDF or will the text be extracted from the document as basic text (which may be an issue if tables are used in Word doc)

Thanks for all the help.
Attachments

MS Office - Resume template.docx [20.83 KiB]
Downloaded 673 times

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't see a reason why not.
I have used a resume with a table for the education section to save space...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
If someone could please clarify:

I noticed on some resumes "MBA Candidate" is placed under the school name to which he or she is applying. Is this an admissions tactic? Where placing the school's name/MBA program with "Candidate" or "potential candidate" is placed under education info as a subversive resume tactic against admissions?

I would think it is only appropriate to place "MBA Candidate at XYZ University" only after you're enrolled in XYZ program. So the resume's I see doing this must be from individuals who are past the applicant stage and are post-acceptance/enrolled, correct?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
you put it only AFTER admission, so the resumes you have seen may have been 2nd years or those who have enrolled.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing and Management
Schools:ESADE, IE
Send PM
I am applying for a Master in International Management in Bocconi University. They want some proof of international experience. Do you think it is appropriate to mention my attendance at Salsa and Kizomba international festivals? Also, I participated in Work and Travel program in the USA. It lasted more than four months. I know they are not connected with management but they provide evidence for some international experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
forestbeauty wrote:
I am applying for a Master in International Management in Bocconi University. They want some proof of international experience. Do you think it is appropriate to mention my attendance at Salsa and Kizomba international festivals? Also, I participated in Work and Travel program in the USA. It lasted more than four months. I know they are not connected with management but they provide evidence for some international experience.

Someone more knowledgable than I will hopefully reply, but my 2 cents: You can and should play-up your Work and Travel program in the USA. That's a solid international experience...it is work in another country--that's great. You could artfully spin it any number of ways. You don't necessarily have to 'sell it' as Work and Travel--could simply just explain it as work--you had a short internship abroad to broaden your international profile--while exploring opportunities.

In my opinion, the international Salsa and Kizomba festivals could be worth mentioning to help reinforce the 'international' theme you're ultimately trying to create. Perhaps best listed under "Other Interests, Hobbies, Experiences" as an afterthought...that seems best.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing and Management
Schools:ESADE, IE
Send PM
Thanks a lot.
I will go this summer again. I find it very useful to get not only international experience but also a sense for the language.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
you put it only AFTER admission, so the resumes you have seen may have been 2nd years or those who have enrolled.

Just to clarify; adding "XYZ University, MBA (Prospective 2011)" under education--where "XYZ is name of MBA program/School you're applying--is not advisable? The keyword here being "Prospective"...as in, "hopeful" candidate (not yet candidate). My only reasoning is that having the schools name printed there, even if only to say "Prospective" and not "Candidate" would be viewed positively by admissions.

How wrong is my thinking on this?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What they forgot to tell you was that on MBA Focus there is a handling fee. I registered and selected 5 free resume books and then went to check out only to find a $100 handling fee. So if you are not prepared to pay a handling fee, don't waste your time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
DoorKnocker wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at my one-page resume with Times New Roman 10 and I'm wondering if the font is too small. I used Arial 10 before and it was fine because Arial is bigger than TNR for a given font size.

Are there any resume experts who can tell me what's the bottom limit for font size for TNR or Arial or any other font? :?

Thanks!

becarev

becarev,
You'll want to use Arial or Time New Roman with a 12 font. Most companies want that format. You can also use a resume service if you need help with what font to use and for helping you make the most of your resume. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3