Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: How on earth do you shortlist your colleges? [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Look where you want to work, find out what schools those places hire from. Think about what you want to do for a function and find out what schools have a solid rep in that area. Obviously big name schools are going to do a lot for you, so places like HBS are going to be great no matter what.

Then there is the personal debate, where would you enjoy being and what cities are you willing to go to. Also, there is the decision on whether a school is worth it for you. Personally I wasn't going to quit my job and go back fulltime if it wouldnt improve my career to a significant degree.

but what is screwing me up is the fact that, they don't go to any campuses for the leadership programme. You have to apply online, pass 5-6 rounds of interviews,aptitude tests & psychometric tests to get in. And its upto the organization where they send me out of the 87 countries in which they operate. So location isnt something I can really focus on. Sure HBS can get me recognition in upper mongolia but realistically there is one thing I have realised, I dont have the 'minerals' to get into HBS.

So I am basically going to be leveraging heavily upon my past association with the organization and then showcase the skills I acquired doing an MBA and how I can be a valuable asset for them to rehire in a senior leadership position. (I have been told by senior HR that i have a strong chance, so kind of confidant in that regard)

So given my slightly weird yet well defined career goals. All the colleges in the top 30 seem the same. I dont care about the place the college is, the placement figures or most of the other factors most ppl fret about and thats one of the main reasons why I cant come up with a list of colleges I should aim for! The best I have come up with is this:

Super stretch : Insead(R2)
Stretch : Darden(R1), ISB(R2)
Normal - Stretch : Emory(R2), Mccombs(R1) ,NUS(r1) and Nanyang(R1)
Safety : None! frankly, A safety for me would be the worst-best college that I would want to go to and there isnt a single one that comes to mind!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
BusinessWeek Stats (presumably Class of 2009)

Top Recruiting Organizations:
Insead: McKinsey - 97
Emory: Deloitte Consulting - 6

World Placements:
Insead: 7% North America
Emory: 94% North America

But these schools are the same, and there's no way they can be distinguished from each other given your career goals?

You should take riverripper's advice. Programs have different track records with majors, they are not all the same. Applicants aren't busting down Kellogg's door to get into finance, because their track record is phenomenal with consulting and marketing. Doesn't mean you can't do finance at Kellogg, or marketing at a school such as Stern, but you'd be wrong to assume your post-MBA "chances" are the same at both schools.

If location is irrelevant to you, and you're pinning all your hopes and dreams on this one organization, you need to find out which MBA programs are feeders. Intensive testing and off-campus recruiting doesn't render your program brand as irrelevant.

And consider what happens if you don't get into your dream firm? I bet you'll think the programs are different then.
GMAT Club Bot