Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
Re: MBAs in Energy Sector [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Working for an energy company would be like working for any other company, in that you could be in marketing, finance, operations, HR, etc...The fact that it sounds like you have some expertise on the technical side, you might be tapped for operations or strategic management. Many of the largest companies have set management programs for their MBAs to come in and do rotations around various divisions to give you broad exposure and also to see what fits best. Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I have a bunch of friends from Kellogg who went into the energy sector. I did an internship w/ a major energy company but as a person who wanted GM I decided that manufacturing companies offered more true GM positions than energy programs.

Saying McComb's is an overly simplistic answer. Any top program will have some energy companies that recruit there. For example Kellogg had big oil and gas like Chevron and Exxon, utilities like PG&E and DTE, classmates also went to work for renewables like solar and wind companies. Also the opportunities are not always the same from different schools, for example I know Exxon has a tier system where top programs (top 10) get paid one thing and have a certain career path where second tiers (which contains McCombs) are paid another (lower) salary and often have a different career path.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I have a bunch of friends from Kellogg who went into the energy sector. I did an internship w/ a major energy company but as a person who wanted GM I decided that manufacturing companies offered more true GM positions than energy programs.

Saying McComb's is an overly simplistic answer. Any top program will have some energy companies that recruit there. For example Kellogg had big oil and gas like Chevron and Exxon, utilities like PG&E and DTE, classmates also went to work for renewables like solar and wind companies. Also the opportunities are not always the same from different schools, for example I know Exxon has a tier system where top programs (top 10) get paid one thing and have a certain career path where second tiers (which contains McCombs) are paid another (lower) salary and often have a different career path.

I am a MBA aspirant from India wanting to get admission in McCombs with Energy Finance as specialization.I have got 670 in GMAT ( V-33 , Q-48 , WA - 4.0) I did my Bachelors in Electrical Engineering.I took up Energy Auditing & Management as my Final Year Project with an Energy auditing firm.I have more than 3 years of work experience with India's largest private sector organization.In my organization also I have done considerable projects on Energy Auditing.Currently I am working on a Renewable Energy Source.My job profile is Manager - Maintenance.
Please guide me whether I stand a good chance of getting into McCombs???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

Agree.

Like riverripper said, invariably most energy giants shop at school with decent ranking. But they might not treat the recruits in the same way. Plus, it also depends what sort of previous work experience you are bring to the company. Is it relevant or not. A lot of smaller independents also shop around in McComb, some people get a nice break with them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
tonireynolds39 wrote:
I have done my B.E.(Mechanical Engineering) and now I am doing MBA (Energy Management). Is it right to take Finance as my minor subject. What will be the jobs aspects and what will be the job profile for a MBA (Energy Management) graduate.

I work in Corporate Finance for an O&G supermajor so I think I can help you out. Granted I am an undergrad hire currently applying for my MBA but I have significant exposure to all types of O&G finance job because I have hosted MBA/UG candidates on interview day.

Our Finance positions consist of two major roles:

A) Controllers/Financial Analysts (top undergrads and 2nd tier MBAs) Do smaller scale accounting, business analysis, financial reporting, project analysis...you typically have 2-3 year rotational assignments in various aspects of the business since most oil majors are integrated (Downstream, Upstream, Chemicals, etc.) Every 2 years it feels like you are learning everything from scratch...Top performers have ability to become supervisors or move into Corporate Treasury

B) Corporate Treasury (1st tier MBAs..I know we recruit HBS, Wharton, Kellogg, Sloan, Booth, and Mccombs because it has a very strong energy Finance program). These jobs do corporate strategy, multi-billion dollar project financing/economics, joint venture contracts, etc.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92875 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts