Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [17]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: In 2004, resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami [#permalink]
medanova wrote:
According to me, the answer should be E, because this is the only choice that provides a complete logical structure of the sentence.

Could you provide more detail? E is wordy for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: In 2004, resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami [#permalink]
The current form of sentence contains a dangling reference (resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami of the modern era in the Indian Ocean). So this needs to be rephrased.
(B) The sentence construction is wrong
(C) Construction of .....because of the result of the destruction... is awkword and also the last modifier (the largest of the modern era) does not modify tsunami. It seems to modify either Indian Ocean or destrction.
(D) Again the modifier the largest of the modern era is not placed correctly.
(E) The above error (misplaced modifier) has been corrected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
Kudos
IN E : Doesnt it sounds that Indian ocean was itself the largest Sunami !!!!
"the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, which was the largest tsunami of the modern era"
Which is incorrectly used to modify Indian Ocean ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
praveenism wrote:
IN E : Doesnt it sounds that Indian ocean was itself the largest Sunami !!!!
"the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, which was the largest tsunami of the modern era"
Which is incorrectly used to modify Indian Ocean ?

I don't think so because we have a repetition of "tsunami" and it is clear that "which" refers to "tsunami" and not to the "Indian Ocean". To be more precise, "which" refers to "the tsunami in the Indian Ocean".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:
E can not be the answer choice, because it unnecessarily indulges in putting the relative pronoun - which - the reference of which can be nothing and nothing but the Indian Ocean.
On the contrary, D does not fall into the trap, by providing an appointive modifier- the largest of the modern era – one that is permitted to modify the entire preceding phrase, namely, -the tsunami in the Indian Ocean – rather than simply the noun it touches
We can dispense with A because the entire world can not be resulting from the destruction.
B is obviously awkward and C suffers the same malady of wrong modification as in E.

Incidentally, a somewhat similar question that has been posted in some OG or1000 series goes as follows.

In A.D. 391, resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria, later generations lost all but the Iliad and Odyssey among Greek epics, most of the poetry of Pindar and Sappho, and dozens of plays by Aeschylus and Euripides.

A) Resulting from the destruction of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria,
(B) the destroying of the largest library of the ancient world at Alexandria resulted and
(C) because of the result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(D) as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world,
(E) Alexandria’s largest library of the ancient world was destroyed, and the result was

The OA is D in this case, the choice with the appositive modifier.

I think both examples are not comparable. In our example we have to clarify what is "the largest in the modern era", the tsunami or the ocean. This is the case only in E. D is confusing as whether we refer to ocean or to tsunami.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
There need be no confusion regarding whether the appositive - the largest of the modern era - refers to the ocean or the tsunami, because, Indian Ocean has not been the largest of the oceans , whether in modern era or in any other era.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
daagh wrote:
There need be no confusion regarding whether the appositive - the largest of the modern era - refers to the ocean or the tsunami, because, Indian Ocean has not been the largest of the oceans , whether in modern era or in any other era.

This may be true in real life. but contextually, a modifier modifies the noun preceding it. Here we have ambiguity - Tsunami and Indian Ocean. a specification is needed. Which construction (referring to the whole sentence - the destruction process) is in fact helping to resolve this ambiguity by clearing the largest (noun) Tsunami.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Kudos
What's stopping the modifier in (D), the largest of the modern era, from jumping over the preceding preposition and from modifying 'the tsunami' ?After all, there is no better place for 'in the Indian Ocean', and thus the modifier can jump over this prepositional object phrase of 'the tsunami'.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal Any thoughts ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
In 2004, resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami of the modern era in the Indian Ocean, the entire world rallied in support of the devastated region and helped recovery efforts in the area.

A) resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami of the modern era in the Indian Ocean - the entire world is inproperly modified by resulting from
B) the destruction caused by the largest tsunami of the modern era in the Indian Ocean resulted and - change in meaning
C) because of the result of the destruction caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the largest of the modern era - wordy ~ "as a result of" suffices
D) as a result of the destruction caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the largest of the modern era - "the largest of the modern era" could modify tsunami, destruction, or the ocean
E) as a result of the destruction caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, which was the largest tsunami of the modern era - "the largest tsunami" makes the modification clear
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
In 2004, resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami [#permalink]
A) resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami of the modern era in the Indian Ocean -- the present participle usage is incorrect here since there is no antecedent which it is modifying. Eliminate

B) the destruction caused by the largest tsunami of the modern era in the Indian Ocean resulted and -- fragment. "destruction" a noun "resulted" verb.. destruction caused by X resulted? It makes no sense. Eliminate.

C) because of the result of the destruction caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the largest of the modern era -- "because of" and "result of" seems redundant. Eliminate.

D) as a result of the destruction caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the largest of the modern era -- it is unclear whether the noun modifier "the largest of the modern era" is modifying "tsunami" or "the indian ocean" or "the destruction". Ambigious. Eliminate.

E) as a result of the destruction caused by the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, which was the largest tsunami of the modern era -- Removes the ambiguity in D by making it clear that relative pronoun "which" here refers to the head of the noun phrase "tsunami in the Indian ocean". Correct.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
What rubbish, “the largest of the modern era“ is modifying “ tsunami in the Indian Ocean”

Tsunami=largest of the modern era

So in my opinion D is not wrong.

Also E is not wrong, just a bit wordy. Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
In 2004, resulting from the destruction caused by the largest tsunami [#permalink]
AnirudhaS wrote:
What rubbish, “the largest of the modern era“ is modifying “ tsunami in the Indian Ocean”

Tsunami=largest of the modern era

So in my opinion D is not wrong.

Also E is not wrong, just a bit wordy. Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device

Sorta agree. I'd like to have more Expert opinion on this. IanStewart GMATNinja VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry

EDIT -- I do think that D is somewhat ambiguous if you go by the rules literally (that noun modifier can modify the closes noun i.e. indian ocean or the head of the noun phrase tsunami or a distant noun entity - destruction in this case). But if we assume that the noun modifier only modifies the closest noun / noun phrase then yes "tsunami in the Indian ocean" is the modified entity which would make the sentence correct?

HELP!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Even if, in answer D, you decide (and I disagree that you can decide this, but supposing you do) that the thing that is the "largest of the modern era" is the "tsunami in the Indian Ocean", it's still unclear if this was the Indian Ocean's largest tsunami, or if it was the world's largest tsunami. Answer E resolves all ambiguity about what "largest" means in this sentence, so it seems a preferable answer to me.

That said, this is a prep company question, not an official one, and even the "OA" is bad writing, so I don't like any answer choice here. They're misusing words (the world rallied in support perhaps "in response to the destruction", not "as a result of the destruction"), the modifier is still a problem in E, and the sentence can easily be rephrased in about five different ways to make it more concise and less convoluted. I never feel that way about the right answers to official SC questions, so those are much better questions to study, and there's not really any reason to care what a prep company thinks is the "OA" to a question like this one, when there isn't a good answer among the five choices.
Current Student
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Even if, in answer D, you decide (and I disagree that you can decide this, but supposing you do) that the thing that is the "largest of the modern era" is the "tsunami in the Indian Ocean", it's still unclear if this was the Indian Ocean's largest tsunami, or if it was the world's largest tsunami. Answer E resolves all ambiguity about what "largest" means in this sentence, so it seems a preferable answer to me.

That said, this is a prep company question, not an official one, and even the "OA" is bad writing, so I don't like any answer choice here. They're misusing words (the world rallied in support perhaps "in response to the destruction", not "as a result of the destruction"), the modifier is still a problem in E, and the sentence can easily be rephrased in about five different ways to make it more concise and less convoluted. I never feel that way about the right answers to official SC questions, so those are much better questions to study, and there's not really any reason to care what a prep company thinks is the "OA" to a question like this one, when there isn't a good answer among the five choices.

Thanks Ian. I went with E too because it just removed all the lingering doubts in D. But per se didn't find modifier reference too big an issue in D.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts