Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep Essentials Course [#permalink]
Can you clarify if the 15 CAT exams that come with the Veritas class are original Veritas Exams or collected from other sources? I read in the CAT master thread that it is really a compilation of 5 800score, 3 PR etc... Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Media,Entertainment
Send PM
mainhoon wrote:
Can you clarify if the 15 CAT exams that come with the Veritas class are original Veritas Exams or collected from other sources? I read in the CAT master thread that it is really a compilation of 5 800score, 3 PR etc... Thanks

Ya, even I heard the same and was curious to know whether this is correct. I guess Brian would be able to throw some light on this.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey guys,

Sorry for the tardy reply here - I was traveling for a long weekend (and actually had a meeting with the aforementioned Chris Kane, our guru instructor in New York, while I was in town) but didn't forget about you!

Our suite of tests includes:

5 Veritas Prep tests
5 GMATLife tests (which we developed)
5 800Score tests
2 GMAC tests

All of the above are full-length CAT exams. We also include 7 Midterm Diagnostic quizzes designed to help students gauge their progress through our syllabus on a more subject-by-subject basis. Those tests will seek to diagnose particular weaknesses (and strengths!) on content-based areas so that students can divert study time to conquering those areas before building up to more full-length CAT tests and advanced homework sets.

I hope that that helps to better explain our offerings...

Cheers,
Brian
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Brian
Just be sure the tests that 800scire offers - they don't seem to be CAT, are your's any different?

Other than CATs does the class offer any computer based tests? Are the midterms paper based?
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey mainhoon,

The 7 midterm Diagnostics are all taken on computer, but aren't adaptive (the design there is to objectively assess your progress through each of our fundamental lessons, so everyone gets the same diagnostic).

The 15 (+2, actually) CAT tests are all designed to be adaptive. As far as I know the 800Score tests that we have should be the same that 800Score offers on its own, as well, but I've taken them and the scoring and feel is in the CAT form.

Cheers,
Brian
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey everyone,

Just a quick heads up for everyone: We're giving away a free Live Online Essentials Course to anyone who can get 20 friends to become a fan of our page on Facebook! Visit our page to see the details:

https://www.facebook.com/VeritasPrep

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I registered for the Essentials for Dec 4&5 a few days. I just saw on your post that the course is better fit for those who have been studied GMAT for awhile. But I have no prior experience with GMAT whatsoever. Should I keep taking this course?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Ryan,

Good question - and thank you for signing up! I still think it's a good decision (admittedly as the course developer I'm fairly biased). I was advising a coworker who is beginning her GMAT study to take the Essentials Course this weekend as a somewhat-beginning step in her prep, and in doing so I showed her a few examples of why I think it's a good idea. She mentioned that she's rusty on fundamental math skills and might need to simply brush up on those before even attempting a class that uses advanced problems. My advice to her, though, through a demonstration of one of the Essentials Course lessons, is to put some framework around those fundamental skills. While the Essentials Course simply doesn't have enough time to cover all of the relevant skills, we do cover what we call "Guiding Principles" for big-picture math concepts. For example, with exponents I'm a firm believer (and have challenged some of our instructors to prove me wrong) that there are three guiding principles that will solve any GMAT exponent problem. Sure, you need to get comfortable with skills like:

6^y = 2^y * 3^y

x^-1 = 1/x

Etc.

But if you know that your goals with those individual skills are to:

1) Find common bases

2) Multiply terms together - you don't have rules for addition/subtraction so you often need to factor

3) Look for patterns that you can extrapolate to larger numbers

Then you have some direction for what you're looking to do with those skills as you develop (or maybe just remember) them.

In this class we'll focus on big-picture concepts (and their guiding principles) and GMAT-specific strategy. Personally, I'd rather start with that so that I have a vision for what I'm going to do with the content when I get it, but I could see people doing it the other way. The strategic/conceptual stuff is something that I think really anyone needs to be able to do well on this test, and it's the material that I think most people shortcut or just don't know how to study when they study on their own, so that's why I think this class is perfect for those who have already studied some...they're probably pretty comfortable with the skills but I doubt they've put enough though into the concepts and strategies. But even if you're just getting started, I do think there's a lot of value in starting with the concepts/strategies so that you know where you're going with the rest. To me, studying "grammar" and "algebra" seems so brutally out-of-context that I couldn't imagine myself doing it effectively first without having some strategy to think about while I'm doing it, so the Essentials Course in a lot of ways reflects my efforts to create the kind of class I would have wanted to take myself...

I hope that helps, and we look forward to working with you this weekend!
Send PM
Expert Reply
One more addition to this thread - for more information about the design of the course, you may want to check out this interview I did with a blogger in India:

https://mba-gunner.blogspot.com/2010/11/q-with-brian-galvin-part-3-gmat.html

He took the initial round of the Essentials Course and liked it enough to want to learn more about how we created it, and in doing so gave me as much space as I wanted to write so I took him up on it! If you're interested in learning more about the curriculum and design, this link is worth a look.
GMAT Club team member
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
Send PM
Hello everyone! Veritas Prep has announced that while the content of the Essentials Course has remain unchanged, there has been a name change to: Veritas Prep Weekend Course. You can find this updated name in our Marketplace and on Veritas Prep's site. If you have any questions about this concentrated GMAT course that meets in one single weekend or on two consecutive Saturdays in-person or online, you can contact Veritas Prep at info@veritasprep.com.
GMAT Club Bot