Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas (in); Yale (in); Kellogg (in); Sloan (interview/waiting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.4 princeton
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
I don't think it'll look unprofessional if you bring your own water. Perfectly ok.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Are the on-campus interviews conducted by 2nd year students / members of AdCom or are they conducted the hired consultants?

Thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
hwkbc wrote:
Are the on-campus interviews conducted by 2nd year students / members of AdCom or are they conducted the hired consultants?

Thanks!

Mine was a 2nd year student (who was also in lauder program)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:
everyone who I talked to who was there and was also interviewing (on the tour, at lunch, etc.) had no idea that the interview format had changed and were only ready for "Why Wharton" etc.

That's great news, well, for us gmatclubbers. How did you know that they weren't prepared for the behavioral questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford, Booth, Wharton, Harvard, Kellogg, Sloan
GPA: 3.68
WE 1: 2 Years Consulting
Send PM
neildiamond wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:
everyone who I talked to who was there and was also interviewing (on the tour, at lunch, etc.) had no idea that the interview format had changed and were only ready for "Why Wharton" etc.

That's great news, well, for us gmatclubbers. How did you know that they weren't prepared for the behavioral questions?

I would guess a non-trivial % of people might know, but never admit they know? The first hit when you google "wharton interview" now lists all six questions, so...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
dundundun wrote:
neildiamond wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

I would guess a non-trivial % of people might know, but never admit they know? The first hit when you google "wharton interview" now lists all six questions, so...

What is this "google" you speak of?

This might help
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:

This might help

lol nice
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Kudos
Jmw125 wrote:
Had my interview yesterday on campus and matched what others have said.
First, everyone who I talked to who was there and was also interviewing (on the tour, at lunch, etc.) had no idea that the interview format had changed and were only ready for "Why Wharton" etc.

BOY THAT SOUNDS FAIR, SO EVERYONE WHO READS THIS BOARD KNOWS ALL THE QUESTIONS BY NOW AND HOW TO ANSWER THEM AND EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING INTO THIS COLD.

BUT WAIT, ARE YOU SURE THEY HAVE NOT HIRED CONSULTANTS WHO ACTUALLY HAVE THE WHARTON ANSWER SHEETS, FROM FRIENDS ETC. WHO ARE WHARTON ALUMS [JUST LIKE I GOT IT] AND THOSE KIDS HAVE CONCOCTED EVEN BETER BS THAN YOU, AND ALSO THAT THE CONSULTANTS TOLD THEM TO PLAY DUMB IN THE WAITING ROOM??? WHICH IS WHAT I WOULD ADVISE KIDS DO, IF I WERE GIVING MOCK WHARTON INTERVIEWS.

NAH, TOO CRAZY, YOU'RE NOT THE SUCKER, THE POOR BASTARDS IN THE WAITING ROOM, ALL OF THEM, AS YOU NOTE, ARE THE SUCKERS.

ANYONE STILL THINK THIS PROCESS IS FAIR????
ESPECIALLY YOU WHARTON APOLOGISTS WHO CLAIM THAT DUE TO WIDESPREAD INTERNET BLAH, BLAH LIKE EVERYONE KNOWS THE QUESTIONS????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
staind wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

This might help

lol nice

reminds me of a story my gf told me the other day about her workplace... (she's a social worker working w/ a bunch of older workers)...

she gets called in by her boss (who is, mind you, like decades older than us), and tells her "hey, i found something very interesting the other day" (of course, in his senile/cracking voice).

he says to my gf, "look," and excitely points to his computer screen, as if he just found out that aliens existed or ben&jerry's is giving away free ice cream coupons.

"have you heard of this awesome thing called, guuuuugoal? I can type whatever I want and I can get any information on ANYTHING!"

and of course, my gf giggles silently, playing along as if that's the first time she heard about Google. <yes. end of story--i'm bored at work>

old people, get w/ the program.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:
Had my interview yesterday on campus and matched what others have said.
First, everyone who I talked to who was there and was also interviewing (on the tour, at lunch, etc.) had no idea that the interview format had changed and were only ready for "Why Wharton" etc.

BOY THAT SOUNDS FAIR, SO EVERYONE WHO READS THIS BOARD KNOWS ALL THE QUESTIONS BY NOW AND HOW TO ANSWER THEM AND EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT BUT EVERYONE ELSE IS GOING INTO THIS COLD.

BUT WAIT, ARE YOU SURE THEY HAVE NOT HIRED CONSULTANTS WHO ACTUALLY HAVE THE WHARTON ANSWER SHEETS, FROM FRIENDS ETC. WHO ARE WHARTON ALUMS [JUST LIKE I GOT IT] AND THOSE KIDS HAVE CONCOCTED EVEN BETER BS THAN YOU, AND ALSO THAT THE CONSULTANTS TOLD THEM TO PLAY DUMB IN THE WAITING ROOM??? WHICH IS WHAT I WOULD ADVISE KIDS DO, IF I WERE GIVING MOCK WHARTON INTERVIEWS.

NAH, TOO CRAZY, YOU'RE NOT THE SUCKER, THE POOR BASTARDS IN THE WAITING ROOM, ALL OF THEM, AS YOU NOTE, ARE THE SUCKERS.

ESPECIALLY YOU WHARTON APOLOGISTS WHO CLAIM THAT DUE TO WIDESPREAD INTERNET BLAH, BLAH LIKE EVERYONE KNOWS THE QUESTIONS????

As a favor, can you try typing without capitalizing every letter? Just a general preference (that I'm sure others share)

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sounds like Sandy is venting.

We get your point. Life isn't fair! I've already accepted that fact long before. Only thing I can do now is move forward and do the best that I can for myself. (Yes, sounds very cliche). Obviously I prefer being the one with the information, but life is tough and I understand that randomness sometimes dominates our outcome.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
Jmw125 wrote:

That's weird, because as I was sitting in the interview room today, everyone I spoke to well aware of the new format. I guess anecdotal "evidence" isn't always indicative of trends.

In my interview with a 2nd year student, she first asked me to talk about myself and describe my background a bit. I was expecting these questions, so I was surprised a little, but went along with my normal story about post-college employment. She didn't stop me, so I continued and slowly segued into one of my prepared stories. About half way through the story, she stopped me and said, "whoa whoa hold up a minute, that sounds like it would be a great example for one of these mandatory questions I have to ask you." She then got out her pen and officially asked the question that corresponded to my story ( it was obvious which one I was answering). She seemed quite impressed that my "everyday" conversation about my history involved such a clear example of something they were asking. She didn't ask me any follow up questions about any of the stories, because I made sure to go into a great amount of detail for each one.

any other questions, just ask!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:

Yes I do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I had my interview today as well. on campus 2nd year student. She asked me to talk about my resume briefly. then 3 questions (teamwork success, conflict resolution, convincing a group). She then briefly asked me to talk about my goals. Finally I asked her a couple of questions. In-n-out in 35 minutes. Very pleasant experience. Short sweet simple and FAIR!!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
minime2 wrote:
In-n-out in 35 minutes. Very pleasant experience. Short sweet simple and FAIR!!

yes, for you. or should I say unfair in the right way.

bear also in mind, right now the active part of this thread is full of Wharton lovers who are still in the game, and mainlining the Kool-Aid, but judging fr. my 10 years or so experience of reading threads like this, the comments become, ahem, just a bit more critical, and allow me to say, sober, fair and balanced about the process, after half or more of you get dinged. Take a look at Calling HBS thread for how sentiment turned after decision day 1,when HBS dinged 80 pct of the pool, and the kids getting HBS interview invites were the usual suspects of blue chip/IVY high gmat types (and some ceremonial outliers) in contrast to the HBS-BS about anyone being able to get in, etc. etc. Lots of Kool-Aid drunks had a real bad hangover.

but that wont happen here, will it, because the first rule of gmatclub is......................there is no gmatclub, hey, I went in cold and aced that interview, Sandy????? They posted questions on Clear Apit, wha???? Sandy who????
Clear Apit, is that an acne cream????

As to life being unfair, I cert agree, it is unfair enuf so that we dont need a suposedly enlightened adcom to build a system w. sort of random unfairness built in to it on top of that. And I suppose if they just chose the admits going forward randomly by the throwing the whole pile on the stairs method, and told you, "life is unfair, get over it" you would be "down" w. that too. Seems that Wharton can do no wrong, just so long as they accept you.

I can see your point, believe me, but I hope you can see mine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
As to life being unfair, I cert agree, it is unfair enuf so that we dont need a suposedly enlightened adcom to build a system w. sort of random unfairness built in to it on top of that. And I suppose if they just chose the admits going forward randomly by the throwing the whole pile on the stairs method, and told you, "life is unfair, get over it" you would be "down" w. that too. Seems that Wharton can do no wrong, just so long as they accept you.

I can see your point, believe me, but I hope you can see mine.

yup. fair enough. point well taken. i'm sure all of us here do appreciate your comments; definitely add color to our discussions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
staind wrote:
rid82 wrote:
I just came home from my Wharton HUB interview. Here my debrief:

Of course there weren't any questions about why MBA, why now, career goals, or why Wharton.

The interviewer was a Consultant from Wharton (she wasn't a Wharton MBA graduate). She cordially explained that she would ask only three behavioral questions and that she would be taking a lot of notes. She also said that the interview would only last between 20 and 30 minutes.

And that's all, let's start. "Are you prepared?" one, two, three... go!
"Describe a time when you had to work with a team and had to accept the opinion of others"
I started explaining the context of my story, and a lot of things totally unrelated with the question. Suddenly, my brain went blind and I realized I had totally forgotten what she had exactly asked. I knew it was something about team work but with all my brain working on my story I forgot the question. I was just about to say "sorry, what was the question?" but well I decided to continue speaking (and probably avoided a 0 points in the question). Thankfully, after a few seconds (and a lot of concentration) I remembered the question and I could finish my story answering it....

No time for more. While I was drinking some water, she was already asking me the second question. Some thing like:
"Tell me a time when you had to work in a team without a leader"
Again, I also spoke about a strong story but a lot about other things not totally related to the question.... I hope the girl's report is not only strictly based on the answer to the question but also reports some other things.

Finally, last question, the end was near.
"Tell me a time when you had to listen others' views."
She also said.. "I think this can be also answered with your first response... but please try to find a different story if you can¨
Another story? what? Come one I don't have 100 stories to tell you.... I was totally off the guard. I had to think at least 10-15 seconds to choose one and I'm not sure I chose the correct story. And well, I did it extremely well or extremely bad. Why? because I had prepared this story in case of asking about a "failure" and I used it to answer this question. Anyway kind of weird to receive almost the same question in 1 and 3....

I don't know what the interviewer will think about this, maybe she was surprised that I was honest about speaking about a failure, or maybe she will think I don't pay attention to people in my team, that I'm a bad guy as I don't listen others or whatever.

The "exam" was finished and I asked some questions about Wharton. But she wasn't a Wharton graduate so I probably knew a lot more than her about the school.

I also asked her why only these three questions this year. She said that Wharton wanted to be fair with candidates, as they have realized that the luck factor plays a big factor when interviews are done with an Alumni. An Alumni may like you or not, may like your background or not, and may be biased. She said that asking the same type of questions to all candidates is more fair. I guess I may agree with this approach somehow, though I also consider that it is an important skill to know how to win a interviewer.

She wished me luck and the interview was finished.

Hope this helps.

Random question, was there water already in the interview room or did you take a bottle with you? I've been debating whether to carry a bottle of water to my alumni interview (at his office) or not - I think I will need it but I don't know if it would be too unprofessional.

Also like how you called it an "exam" hahah.. great post!

It's been 3 interviews this season and in all of them I carried a bottle of water (just in case) but there I was always offered one.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  47   48   49   50   51  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts