Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [52]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [15]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [15]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: DS: Tollbooths [#permalink]
Kudos
I got this question from the GMATprep and scored 45 on the math section. I felt this question was tricky because I didn't know whether to assume that the tollbooths were evenly spaced. It would be a straight forward question if the tollbooths are evenly spaced. Should we assume that?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
On her way home from work, Janet drives through several tollbooths. Is there a pair of these tollbooths that are less than 10 miles apart?

(1) The first tollbooth and the last tollbooth are 25 miles apart

(2) Janet drives through 4 tollbooths on her way home from work.

1) alone doesnt answer the question as i donot know the no of booths shw passes on her way
2) alone doesnt anwer the ques as i donot know the distance she travels

both 1) and 2) taken together will also not answer the question as i dont know if the distance between the booths

so answer is cannot be answered
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Life
Send PM
Is it just me, or does several indicate more than 2? Given that reasoning my answer is A.
I know the OA is C.

Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
tarek99 wrote:
On her way home from work, Janet drives through several tollbooths. Is there a pair of these tollbooths that are less than 10 miles apart?

(1) The first tollbooth and the last tollbooth are 25 miles apart

(1) 2 tollbooths=no. 50 toll booths between the 1st and last=yes (that's a lot of stopping!). INSUFFICIENT, eliminate A and D.
(2) 4 tollbooths each 11 miles apart=no. 4 toolbooths each 9 miles apart=yes. INSUFFICIENT, eliminate B.
(1)+(2) There's no way to partition 4 tollbooths where the first and last are 25 miles apart without putting 2 within 10 miles of each other. Eliminate E.

Answer: C.

x-ALI-x wrote:
Is it just me, or does several indicate more than 2? Given that reasoning my answer is A.
I know the OA is C.

Any thoughts?

My interpretation of several is 2 or more.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
weakVerbal wrote:
janani wrote:
c

Very Tricky....

Since it is not mentioned in the question that the tollbooths are evenly spaced, you cannot assume it. Answer will be (E).
If it is indeed a GMAT Prep question, it would be a very very old question with no relevance now.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh yes of course. I got so lost in the 'evenly spaced' debate, I didn't focus on the actual question!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29918 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: On her way home from work, Janet drives through several [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
tarek99 wrote:

(1) The first tollbooth and the last tollbooth are 25 miles apart.

Given: On her way home from work, Janet drives through several tollbooths.

Target question: Is there a pair of these tollbooths that are less than 10 miles apart?

Statement 1: The first tollbooth and the last tollbooth are 25 miles apart.
There are several scenarios that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:

Case a: There are exactly 2 toll booths, and they are 25 miles apart. In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, there are NOT two toll booths that are less than 10 miles apart
Case b: There are exactly 3 toll booths (A, B and C). Their distances are: A......(5 miles)...B.......(20 miles).....C. In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, there ARE two toll booths that are less than 10 miles apart
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Janet drives through 4 tollbooths on her way home from work
There are several scenarios that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Let the toll booths be A, B, C and D.

Case a: A......(5 miles)....B.......(5 miles).....C.......(5 miles)....D In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, there are NOT two toll booths that are less than 10 miles apart
Case b: A......(15 miles)....B.......(15 miles).....C.......(15 miles)....D In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, there ARE two toll booths that are less than 10 miles apart
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Let's see if it is possible to satisfy both statements such that NO two toll booths are less than 10 miles apart.
So let's see what happens if we make every toll booth exactly 10 miles apart.
We get: A......(10 miles)....B.......(10 miles).....C.......(10 miles)....D
Since the total distance from the first and last toll booth is 30 miles (and not 25 miles as statement 1 suggests), we can be certain that at least one of the distance is above (between two adjacent tollbooths) MUST be less than 10 miles.
So, it must be the case that the answer to the target question is YES, there ARE two toll booths that are less than 10 miles apart

Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

Cheers,
Brent
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
On her way home from work, Janet drives through several [#permalink]