Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: Where do i stand? [#permalink]
Hi
could you please assess my profile:
31 male, project manager, 6 Years WE, international, married when 23, have two beautiful kids, I have master degree in Engineering management and Bachelor of electrical engineering. I did not take the gmat yet but I believe my score will be 650 to 680. I have strange undergrad transcript (Fs, many A+ , GPA 2.85, and the master degree 3.4/4) the Fs are not because of lack in intellectual ability but because i was working during the study and was feeding my family. and what make me proud is that I helped my younger brothers and sisters to complete their education and I completed my degree too by my OWN effort (no scholarship, no help at all). I consider this as the biggest achievement in my life.
I came poor family, but I worked hard and after five years from the graduation I became project manager and did master degree, currently I am managing a $140m project. I feel that doing an MBA will help me to move up to in my career. frankly, I was discouraging when I read many profiles here and read class profiles of the top schools. I believe also, that getting admitted not only depend on numbers and scores as it depends on the quality of the candidate himself. I believe I am good candidate. but again how can I show this to the adcom. ironic to have three managers reporting to me graduated from INSEAD and Duke!!
although the brand name is important in the MBAs, I do not pay more attention to it as I am very interesting in which program is suitable for me and I fit in.
Best Regards,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sniper27 wrote:
Hi Robbie,

Thank you for the response.

I understand that Top 10 US B-schools will require a very strong application. I have started working on the areas you have mentioned.

As for the choice of schools, I am looking for a program that is mix of case based and experimental learning. Till now, I had my education in the lecture based format and I do not find it that appealing. Hence UCLA with its 70% lecture based approach is a no go. I am essentially looking for a general management program as I believe Consulting requires overall understanding of business. Therefore, I believe Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck, Ross, Duke and yes Darden are my target schools. Location is not my primary concern. I am really particular about involvement and personal attention (making Tuck my favorite school).

Just one last thing, am I realistic in my school choices?

Thank You

You're realistic, but remember that these schools are particularly competitive and that your cohort demands that your applications emphasize your unique strengths and what you as an individual bring to the school that is different from others.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
oneyearmba wrote:
Hi
31 male, project manager, 6 Years WE, international, married when 23, have two beautiful kids, I have master degree in Engineering management and Bachelor of electrical engineering. I did not take the gmat yet but I believe my score will be 650 to 680. I have strange undergrad transcript (Fs, many A+ , GPA 2.85, and the master degree 3.4/4) the Fs are not because of lack in intellectual ability but because i was working during the study and was feeding my family. and what make me proud is that I helped my younger brothers and sisters to complete their education and I completed my degree too by my OWN effort (no scholarship, no help at all). I consider this as the biggest achievement in my life.
I came poor family, but I worked hard and after five years from the graduation I became project manager and did master degree, currently I am managing a $140m project. I feel that doing an MBA will help me to move up to in my career. frankly, I was discouraging when I read many profiles here and read class profiles of the top schools. I believe also, that getting admitted not only depend on numbers and scores as it depends on the quality of the candidate himself. I believe I am good candidate. but again how can I show this to the adcom. ironic to have three managers reporting to me graduated from INSEAD and Duke!!
although the brand name is important in the MBAs, I do not pay more attention to it as I am very interesting in which program is suitable for me and I fit in.
Best Regards,

Congratulations on the successes you have achieved thus far.

Evaluating your profile without a GMAT score and your goals for what you want to achieve in the future is just not possible. You're right that the admissions process does depend on the quality of the individual, but if you choose to apply to an MBA program, it will be necessary to explain why your undergraduate transcript has grades ranging from F to A+.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RobbieWalker wrote:
oneyearmba wrote:
Hi
Best Regards,

Evaluating your profile without a GMAT score and your goals for what you want to achieve in the future is just not possible. You're right that the admissions process does depend on the quality of the individual, but if you choose to apply to an MBA program, it will be necessary to explain why your undergraduate transcript has grades ranging from F to A+.
I explained this. I was working during my study, sometime I do not attend some classes due to many things I had to do in my work. you can see in my transcript that I achieved in Calculus A+, while F in project management !, A in electro magnetics, and F in Circuits. when I took the Circuits again I achieved A+. and for this specific reason I preferred to work more to mitigate this lack, also, I did achieve 3.4 / 4 in the Master degree. why mba, because I really feel that I need it, I feel sometimes that there is lack in my knowledge of how to run business from wider view. also, I feel saturated with working on sites and the work tends to be automatic and routine.
by the way, some of my friends graduated from the top ivy schools. they assess me as a good candidate for a good program. the GMAT I believe I will be around 650 to 690.
one more thing, I have full scholarship from my company. (I am middle eastern)
again, my question, is this profile usual, or is it fit in a good program?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
one more thing, My future goals are very clear, I will continue working in the same field, but in higher level of management. the scholarship is conditional to work for my company but with promotion to the Program Director. ( the highest level of middle management in my organisation)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
oneyearmba wrote:
RobbieWalker wrote:
oneyearmba wrote:
Hi
Best Regards,

I explained this. I was working during my study, sometime I do not attend some classes due to many things I had to do in my work. you can see in my transcript that I achieved in Calculus A+, while F in project management !, A in electro magnetics, and F in Circuits. when I took the Circuits again I achieved A+. and for this specific reason I preferred to work more to mitigate this lack, also, I did achieve 3.4 / 4 in the Master degree. why mba, because I really feel that I need it, I feel sometimes that there is lack in my knowledge of how to run business from wider view. also, I feel saturated with working on sites and the work tends to be automatic and routine.
by the way, some of my friends graduated from the top ivy schools. they assess me as a good candidate for a good program. the GMAT I believe I will be around 650 to 690.
one more thing, I have full scholarship from my company. (I am middle eastern)
again, my question, is this profile usual, or is it fit in a good program?

My apologies for not making myself more clear about your grades. You will need to explain to the AdComs of the schools you apply to about your grades, and the usual place to do so is in an optional essay. The essays in total are used to highlight your qualifications for an MBA program, and you can take full advantage of that opportunity to underscore why you are a good fit with each particular school. Having a full scholarship from your company is a definite advantage. If your GMAT score is between 650 and 690, you should be able to target some good programs. Given your background, you might consider exploring schools that are strong in General Management. I'll be glad to offer specific school recommendations once you've taken the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you Robbie Walker for your reply. yes my target is the good schools in general management. I am preparing to write my gmat and once I finish it, I will start setting up a strategy to apply for Sep, 2012. it may be long time ahead but I believe in my case the early application would be better. By the way how to contact you?
GMAT Club Bot