Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: My GMAT experience - 760 (Q50, V42) [#permalink]
USCTrojan2006 wrote:
Great job. What other review sources did you use?

Honestly, the only book I purchased was the OG11. I considered picking up some Manhattan books, especially after getting the 700 on the third practice exam, but at the time I had been hoping to take the exam relatively soon and didn't want to delay it by going through another book or three. In retrospect, I would have had the time, and if I had to do it again I might still get a few of them. I've heard they're excellent. But I just used OG11 and all the resources at my disposal on this site.

plb wrote:
Very nice debrief TehJay! Best of luck on the research/application process as you continue on.

One quick thing; you mentioned:

Quote:
So, needless to say, I was pretty rattled when I found the quant section INSANELY DIFFICULT.

I found myself staring at problems that I had no clue how to solve. I found myself spending 2.5 minutes solving a problem, only to find that my answer wasn't one of the choices. I found myself guessing - not just once or twice, but numerous times. And I found myself with two and a half minutes left to answer the last two problems. I SCRAMBLED to finish them before running out of time, and I think I had about ten seconds left before finishing.

I'm curious if you could divulge what exactly gave you problems. Was it problem types that you have never seen before? Or was it variations of problem types that you hadn't practiced? If you could extrapolate on what and why it gave you problems, you could potentially save a lot of people from being surprised in the future.

Thanks, and once again, great debrief.

Hopefully this is kosher, since I'm not going into specifics. But one type of problem came up again and again and I never really focused on it while studying: percentages. I must have gotten ten very tricky percentage problems that really threw me for a loop. I can remember one specific geometry question that still makes no sense to me. But if I could go back and study another topic in depth, I would work on percentages.

Considering that I got a 50q, I figured that I was being thrown some of the most difficult problems in the database, which would probably explain why I struggled so much and still did so well. Either that or I got REALLY lucky with some guesses, but I'm just going to ignore that possibility. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Haha, excellent debrief and one of the best ones I can relate to, probably. I had huge issues with timing on verbal. I used to finish the section with 30 mins to spare and get a 38-40 and miss almost all the RCs cos I was just damn bored and wanted to be done with them.

But I sucked it up and started taking notes on RC and voilà, I was much more well paced (I still finish with 20 mins to spare mostly) and my verbal went from 40 to 47 on my last GMAT prep.

What I find curious is the fact that on my GMAT prep Q50 V47 was a 770 and on the GMAT Q50 V42 is a 760. The ranges baffle me. I just hope the verbal is getting easier. And as for math, if I get a **** ton of percentage problems, I'll gladly take them :D

Congratulations again and good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
longest debrief ever but pretty legit.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Great job TJ!
p.s. How did you plan to be the pioneer of the electric bass? ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Congratz for the massive score..How did you find GMAT verbal and Quant questions in comparison with questions of GMAT prep , MGMAT , knewton and other CAT tests..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
MisterEko wrote:
Great job TJ!
p.s. How did you plan to be the pioneer of the electric bass? ;)

Well, I wanted to be the next Jaco Pastorius, obviously :)

sv76 wrote:
Congratz for the massive score..How did you find GMAT verbal and Quant questions in comparison with questions of GMAT prep , MGMAT , knewton and other CAT tests..

MGMAT was by far the most difficult practice test I took, and I think it was much more difficult than the real thing. GMATPrep seems like it was in line with what really happened. It's hard for me to gauge accurately, though, because I had so much difficulty with the quant section on the real thing. It seemed even harder than the GMATClub math tests, which can be brutal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Business
Send PM
Nice debrief
thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator: