Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension
Schools:B.A. Harvard
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
 Q46  V36
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: FINANce!!!!!..:))))))))
Schools:Wharton..:)
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5 +
Send PM
Re: Knewton Verbal Challenge Question: Critical Reasoning [#permalink]
Kudos
conclusion :: since M- lions have their forelimbs developed they have to climb into their mother's pouch

since this is an assumption question use assumption negation technique::
option a)All animals that are born after a short gestation period are not born with some parts of their bodies underdeveloped- does not weaken the conclusion , move on ..
b)[color=#80FFBF]Well developed forelimbs would not have been more advantageous to ancient marsupial lions than well developed hind limbs would have been[/color]-does not weaken the conclusion
c) If the newborn marsupial lion did climb into its mother’s pouch, then paleontologists would be able to find evidence of this fact- out of scope again
d) Newborn marsupial lions that crawled into their mothers’ pouches could have done so had they not had only their forelimbs developed at birth-this is a bit complicated to comprehend so simplify - so this says that M-lions have only their forelimbs developed at birth and they could have only climbed into their mother's pouch if they had more than their forelimbs developed , so basically they say that M-lions cannot climb into their mother;s pouch
e)Newborn marsupial lions would have had only their forelimbs developed if this development were of no use to the marsupial lions-simplify-if this developed is of no use then they don't have to climb into their mother's pouch , since this developement is useless it serves no purpose , so this contradicts the argument and i think this should be the ans.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Assumptions are my favorite questions :)

For CR's I usually like to answer the question in my own words. This was not an easy one and I had to read it 3 times to actually get what the point was. My own answer was something along the lines of: The forelimbs are only needed to climb into a pouch

Of course this was not an option for the answer choices (ugh). I see some sense in D but it is convoluted and E does look better.

The recent discovery that ancient marsupial lions were also born with only their forelimbs developed supports
The answer I came up on my own is that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
IMO E

tough choice between D and E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
The answer is [E].

The reason :-

Joey, born after a short gestation period, has an absolute necessity to go into mother's pouch for further development. Now, to go into the mother's pouch joey needs to climb and for that well developed fore limbs are necessary.

So it can be inferred that well developed fore limbs have their own use for a premature newborn joey.

From the above it can also be inferred that there must be some cause behind every effect. Same is true for the newborn marcupial lions. They also must have some kind of necessity for which the well developed fore limbs were required for them. One of the possibility could be they also needed to climb into their mother's pouches.
Knewton GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Concentration: AWA, Personal Statements, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension
Schools:B.A. Harvard
Send PM
Hey all,

Great work so far! I'll leave the OA hidden so more people can try it out. When you're ready to see how you did, you can check out this explanation from our GMAT teacher Rich:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pblnPFlvaPI[/youtube]

Enjoy! Let us know if you have any more questions...

Chris
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
IMO: ans is E

if there is no use of forlimbs then M linos whould not develope their limbs.
GMAT Club Bot