Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [26]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [7]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: please help with this CR [#permalink]
Kudos
I think that option A and d are both correct and hence either cannot be considered as the correct answer.Now option B,C and E are left. Option E can be eliminated since its out of scope. The argument is concerned about the banning of the product as a whole....
Out of B and C Option B is right since the argument recommends on the basis of just one reason mentioned.....and does not considers other reasons to eliminate the options..

Hence Answer is b

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
can please explain why d is not the answer and how did you you come to your answer

Thanks and regards,
Sidd
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Can you explain how did you eliminate A ...If you cannot eliminate D than i think you also cannot eliminate A as well.
Pls provide you reasoning and than i will help you..

Archit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
siddharth86 wrote:
can please explain why d is not the answer and how did you you come to your answer

Thanks and regards,
Sidd

Hi Sidd,

D. It makes a generalization based on one segment of the population.

Yes the author is making generalization based on one segment of population, but it still does not explain the flaw. It is something that the author is doing.

Suppose we correct this point and change in the stimulus so that it includes the segment of population discussed: "the only way in which females aged 24-30 can avoid rashes is to stay away from Bronzer and other tanning beds". Would this make the argument no longer flawed? No; therefore (D) is incorrect.

Hope that helps,

Vercules
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain [#permalink]
Please read carefully the rules for posting in verbal section

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
siddharth86 wrote:
A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain types of high-intensity tanning beds. While not dangerous, these rashes are painful and often unsightly, at least in the eyes of those who contract them. Over 90% of females ages 24-30 who use a particular tanning bed called "The Bronzer" have contracted the rash in varying levels of severity. Although using "The Bronzer" does not always lead to a contraction of the rash, the only way to completely avoid the rash is to refrain from using "The Bronzer" and other tanning beds altogether.

Which of the following indicates a flaw in the author’s reasoning?

A. It relies on evidence about a specific product to make a recommendation about an entire class of products.

B. It assumes that one possible cause of a condition is the only cause of that condition.

C. It assumes to be true what it sets out to prove.

D. It makes a generalization based on one segment of the population.

E. It contradicts itself by proclaiming a condition to be not dangerous and then offering a recommendation to avoid that condition.

Thanks and regards,
Sidd

Edit: by carcass

Snookie goes into her favorite tanning salon with all her gal pals. She then hops in a greased out and over used tanning bed only to emerge hours later with a rash that will prevent even the most desperate of guidos from hollering at her. Naturally she is worried and proceeds to blame the equipment (bronzer) for her first world problems. When she tells her pal J-Wow about her dilema, J-Wow promptly tells her the only thing she can do is to take the "tan" out of Gym Tan Laundry.

However, immediately after J-Wow has imparted her knowledge of tanning on Snookie, Mike walks into the room and tells everyone to chill out because just because she got a rash from entering the womb of the Bronzer, does not mean the Bronzer is the only cause of Snookie's rash.

Snookie, now relieved that she won't have to part with her bronzing sessions, sits down in her favorite chair. As she sits down in her chair she feels a slimy sensation on her arm and almost immediately her rash comes back. Mike starts screaming at her from the top of his lungs "Don't sit there! A bunch of grenades just vomited all over that chair last night!" Snookie screams at him "what?? I fell asleep on this chair right before I went to the tanning salon!!" to which Mike responds "well maybe that's why you got a rash"

/end scene

I pick (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
i think its A because the rash has been contracted by majority of the women using it in a specific age group and thus it deems allergic to them
however the conclusion states them to refrain from using the bronzer as well as other products....this means the author is saying not to use the tanning beds based on the data concluded from using the bronzer
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
i think its A because the rash has been contracted by majority of the women using it in a specific age group and thus it deems allergic to them
however the conclusion states them to refrain from using the bronzer as well as other products....this means the author is saying not to use the tanning beds based on the data concluded from using the bronzer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
A specific skin rash has been linked to exposure to certain [#permalink]
Vercules wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Can you explain how did you eliminate A ...If you cannot eliminate D than i think you also cannot eliminate A as well.

Archit

Hi Archit,

Now lets consider answer choice A

(A) It relies on evidence about a specific product to make a recommendation about an entire class of products.

Similar to (D) the author is doing this; i.e. the argument does relies on evidence about Bronzer to make recommendations about an entire class of products. If we address the point mentioned in (A), the argument still remains flawed.

lets change the argument so that (A) is addressed.

New Conclusion: The only way to stay away from rashes is to refrain from using "Bronzer" tanning bed.

In this case we are not making a recommendation about an entire class of products. But, the argument still remains flawed in its reasoning because even after refraining from just "Bronzer" tanning bed does not guarantee that one will not catch the rash. So, the reason mentioned in (A) in not the flaw in reasoning.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Hi Vercules

Really liked your way of eliminating options.
But in this case there seems to be multiple flaws in the argument and I find both A and B to be flaws that the argument has.Now,addressing one flaw ,in this case A does not make the argument correct.Neither does addressing B correct the argument completely.
Could u please suggest a way of working past this hurdle?

Many Thanks!
DebWenger
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

Archit

Hi Archit,

Now lets consider answer choice A

(A) It relies on evidence about a specific product to make a recommendation about an entire class of products.

Similar to (D) the author is doing this; i.e. the argument does relies on evidence about Bronzer to make recommendations about an entire class of products. If we address the point mentioned in (A), the argument still remains flawed.

lets change the argument so that (A) is addressed.

New Conclusion: The only way to stay away from rashes is to refrain from using "Bronzer" tanning bed.

In this case we are not making a recommendation about an entire class of products. But, the argument still remains flawed in its reasoning because even after refraining from just "Bronzer" tanning bed does not guarantee that one will not catch the rash. So, the reason mentioned in (A) in not the flaw in reasoning.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Vercules you are correct even if we address A or D, the argument remains flawed. But even if we address B, and remove the "Only way" part, the argument still remains flawed. The conclusion would be

A way avoid the rash is to refrain from using "The Bronzer" and other tanning beds altogether.

Now it is flawed for the reasons mentioned in A and D. And now I can say B is not the flaw in the reasoning.

How is my argument for eliminating B any different from your argument for eliminating A and D? Personally I think there are multiple flaws in the argument and A,B, and D cover them.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts