Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Fuqua (In), Tuck (WL & Withdrawn), McDonough (Withdrawn), McCombs (Withdrawn), Manchester (In & Withdrawn)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q34  V20
Send PM
Re: It seems that my world is ended. :( [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey rafilla442000,
Thank you very much for sharing your G-story with me. You're correct.I was totally lost that day.I'm still taking time to come out from it.Actually,I was over confident that day and got nervous when I saw entire questions were easy.
I got a very good lesson from my first G-exam,which I'm gonna apply to in my next attempt.In 2011, I've to join B-school (Top 25 either India or US/UK) no more delay. I'll keep you update.
Your G-story is really very inspiring.
All the best. +1 kudos from my side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Schools:Fuqua (In), Tuck (WL & Withdrawn), McDonough (Withdrawn), McCombs (Withdrawn), Manchester (In & Withdrawn)
Send PM
Kudos
gattupalli wrote:
Thanks for the story...! I really wanted to seek help for my disastrous attempt of my GMAT which i ended up just 530 (47Q and 17V)...all my practice tests I was scoring 600s in MGMAT...and I thought I would end up with atleast 630 or 620... And the worst part was my first GMAT prep w/o any preparation was 590 and 600... I have no clue where things have gone wrong...
I have started my preparation from April 2010 and booked the date in July 2010 and amidst my prep I was not scoring well in my preparation so I postponed to Sep2010....

Iam from a reputed Institute from India, so atleast I feel my verbal is not as bad that I would score just 17... I had a headache on that day and still stressed out on that day a little...but I feel that is not the reason for my score.. I really need help to make 700+ this time.. because I have not apped in 2010...

I have done OG12,11, Verbal review, Quant review, GMAT CLub questions, MGMAT SC, and powerscore CR...

how do I start my preparation again because to assess I would remember the questions of GMAT prep...
?

Please help me..!!

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with the GMAT... By the way you are telling me your experience it sounds that you might think that there is no tomorrow and that your next GMAT attempt is the only one you have.... Please do think that you have all the chances in the world to beat the gmat!

According to Manhattan GMAT's experts... Verbal (particularily sentence correction) is the easiest way to increase your score! They say that if you practice for a month SC you'll end up "dominating" them and these Q's account for more than a third on the GMAT... so there, you can have your points..

On the RC section, remember that you have like 6-8 minutes to answer all the q's from a passage, so use like 4 min (depending on the passage) to grasp the main ideas of each paragraph... and that you get the point of what the author is trying to say and most importantly why is he telligh you these things... Why is this relevant?... Start to read "critically".. Take wise notes and arm your skeletall sketch... Then while reading the Q's identify whether this Q is general or specific.. if this Q is general with your sketch you should be able to figure the answer... and of the question is specific your sketch should work as an index to go back to the reading and find the answer...

On the CR section i gues you should first be calm... Read the question first and after that Read critically ! picture yourself into the shoes of the author (s)... Why are they telling you this ? Why are they wrong? do you agree or disagree? are they giving you sufficient evidence to back up their arguments?... Understand the idea and imagine yourself as part of that conversation!

Well... I guess I can only wish you LUCK.. And remember if you end up with a low score again... you have another chance!

Good Luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Quote:
I was getting acceptable (450 -550) score in GMAT prep test.It was enough for me I was thinking if I'm getting this score in GMAT prep I'll reach at 650 in real exam and after that will go to again for it.

I don't think this is how it works. In my experience in the real test your score normally is a little lower than what you've been scoring on the GMATPrep. There's no way you'll see a 100 point jump from the GMATPrep to the real test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey SoniaSaini,
Sorry to hear about your previous attempt. But don't lose heart, things will definitely improve the next time. When do you plan to write your next GMAT? Since you mentioned that you will be applying to b-school so as to matriculate next year, I suppose there isn't much time left, so best of luck!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Sonia,

I have the same story as yours. I took the exam in October this year and got an awful 510 (Q42 V20). I was so dejected that I did not know what to do. I can recollect my state of mind by reading that you were so dejected that you did not even realize that there was traffic on the road. I left my job to prepare for the GMAT and I prepared for full 6 months - day and night. For each and every minute of those 6 months, I had only GMAT in my brain; still I got 510! I did not get anything lower than 600 in any of my prep tests, either Manhattan or GMAT Prep. I booked the date in an anticipation that I'll be able to score at least 630 but failed badly.

I completely understand your plight but I do not intend to sympathize with you as sympathy is not the solution to the failure that we have seen. I have decided to take the exam again as I cannot sacrifice my dreams to just one failure.

I would suggest you to take a break from studies for about 2 months unless you are in a hurry to take the examination. Spend time with yourself to introspect that what actually went wrong. In my case, I feel that since I am an Indian and have always learnt British English, taking a leap to learn American English is a difficult step in itself. Now, I have changed my perspective towards English completely and have drifted towards American English. Believe me, it is all about your hunger to learn the language, to feel the language and to live the language.

Start reading novels written by ONLY American authors, practise SC and other things that you feel you should do. Fix a target to take the examination and plan accordingly. One more thing - spend as much time as you can with your family because once you decide to retake the GMAT, you will have to sacrifice your social life (this is what I am doing)!

I hope that I make some (if not much) sense to you.

Cheers!
Rajat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
 Q34  V20
Send PM
Hello Srjaidev,

I've started my G-day journey.Before go to real exam I want to give whole MGMAT test series (I wrote only one),Kewten,Gmatclub and Kaplan free tests.I hope things will be fine.

srjaidev wrote:
Hey SoniaSaini,
Sorry to hear about your previous attempt. But don't lose heart, things will definitely improve the next time. When do you plan to write your next GMAT? Since you mentioned that you will be applying to b-school so as to matriculate next year, I suppose there isn't much time left, so best of luck!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
SoniaSaini wrote:
Hello Srjaidev,

I've started my G-day journey.Before go to real exam I wanna go write whole MGMAT (I wrote only one),Kewten,Gmatclub and Kaplan free tests. Wanna see my progress where I stand.

srjaidev wrote:
Hey SoniaSaini,

When is your test?
I wouldn't recommend taking every one of the CATs.
Take a MGMAT test and create the assessment report. That would give you some idea about your weak points. Judging by your score, I am sensing that there could be some concepts you are not yet clear with. Its difficult to give you any further suggestions till I understand how much time you have left :)
Manager
Manager
 Q34  V20
Send PM
mittal82 wrote:
Hi Sonia,

I have the same story as yours. I took the exam in October this year and got an awful 510 (Q42 V20). I was so dejected that I did not know what to do. I can recollect my state of mind by reading that you were so dejected that you did not even realize that there was traffic on the road. I left my job to prepare for the GMAT and I prepared for full 6 months - day and night. For each and every minute of those 6 months, I had only GMAT in my brain; still I got 510! I did not get anything lower than 600 in any of my prep tests, either Manhattan or GMAT Prep. I booked the date in an anticipation that I'll be able to score at least 630 but failed badly.

I completely understand your plight but I do not intend to sympathize with you as sympathy is not the solution to the failure that we have seen. I have decided to take the exam again as I cannot sacrifice my dreams to just one failure.

I would suggest you to take a break from studies for about 2 months unless you are in a hurry to take the examination. Spend time with yourself to introspect that what actually went wrong. In my case, I feel that since I am an Indian and have always learnt British English, taking a leap to learn American English is a difficult step in itself. Now, I have changed my perspective towards English completely and have drifted towards American English. Believe me, it is all about your hunger to learn the language, to feel the language and to live the language.

Start reading novels written by ONLY American authors, practise SC and other things that you feel you should do. Fix a target to take the examination and plan accordingly. One more thing - spend as much time as you can with your family because once you decide to retake the GMAT, you will have to sacrifice your social life (this is what I am doing)!

Cheers!
Rajat.

Hello Rajat,

Thank you very much your story.
I really don't know what had happened to me on G-day? I've heard (read on google) that in real exam if we get an easy question that means not doing well.I was getting very easy questions,like area,solving equations and measure... suddenly,that thing clicked in mind and I lost my confidence. next question was again measurement and could not able to solve it. Any ways... that was my bad day.

After some days,I realized that when we more chase something,the further it goes away from us.and when we stop chasing it,if it's destined,it does come back to us.at least now I've found it true in my life.

I've started my G-journey again. Let see how it goes.
all the best to you. do well.
On this forum people are really very helpful.Moreover,their G-journey and debrief motive me.
Manager
Manager
 Q34  V20
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
SoniaSaini wrote:
Hello Srjaidev,

I've started my G-day journey.Before go to real exam I wanna write whole MGMAT (I wrote only one),Kewten,Gmatclub and Kaplan free tests. Wanna see my progress where I stand.

srjaidev wrote:
Hey SoniaSaini,

When is your test?
I wouldn't recommend taking every one of the CATs.
Take a MGMAT test and create the assessment report. That would give you some idea about your weak points. Judging by your score, I am sensing that there could be some concepts you are not yet clear with. Its difficult to give you any further suggestions till I understand how much time you have left :)

Srjaidev,

I have not booked exam yet. roughly is around on March'11/April'11. I wanted to apply in S.P.Jain and XLRI but ...
Yes,I've bought MGMAT 6 series online test.
It seems you want to help me. :).I'm happy and thank you very much.

I'm going through again OG'12 and every question is in my heart.:(.don't know how to get rid of?
DS and RC are giving to me trouble.What can I say, I do get lost in wording of question.like % and Time/speed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Sonia...
Just something additional to consider:

"I've heard (read on google) that in real exam if we get an easy question that means not doing well.I was getting very easy questions,like area,solving equations and measure... suddenly,that thing clicked in mind and I lost my confidence. "

Remember there are some experimental questions that could be either easy or hard and to our misfortunue they are placed randomly in the test... So, whenever you reach a weird question that you might think is easy to answer (or just weird) remember that the evil GMAC could just be testing some statistics with it and by no means will affect your performance on the test.

Good Luck!!!
Manager
Manager
 Q34  V20
Send PM
rafilla442000 wrote:
Sonia...
Just something additional to consider:

"I've heard (read on google) that in real exam if we get an easy question that means not doing well.I was getting very easy questions,like area,solving equations and measure... suddenly,that thing clicked in mind and I lost my confidence. "

Remember there are some experimental questions that could be either easy or hard and to our misfortunue they are placed randomly in the test... So, whenever you reach a weird question that you might think is easy to answer (or just weird) remember that the evil GMAC could just be testing some statistics with it and by no means will affect your performance on the test.

Good Luck!!!

Hey my friend rafilla442000,

Thank you very much. I'm not gonna do this kind of silly mistake in my next attempt.

All the best to you.!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
SoniaSaini wrote:
mittal82 wrote:
Hi Sonia,

Cheers!
Rajat.

Hello Rajat,

Thank you very much your story.
I really don't know what had happened to me on G-day? I've heard (read on google) that in real exam if we get an easy question that means not doing well.I was getting very easy questions,like area,solving equations and measure... suddenly,that thing clicked in mind and I lost my confidence. next question was again measurement and could not able to solve it. Any ways... that was my bad day.

After some days,I realized that when we more chase something,the further it goes away from us.and when we stop chasing it,if it's destined,it does come back to us.at least now I've found it true in my life.

I've started my G-journey again. Let see how it goes.
all the best to you. do well.
On this forum people are really very helpful.Moreover,their G-journey and debrief motive me.

Thanks Sonia! I am glad that you have again started your journey towards your dreams.

By any chance, are you in IT industry?

Regards,
Rajat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
All the best you guys are really doing hard
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
List of top 10 B-Schools based on 2010 rankings(FT):

1.) London Business SchoolFeatured business school U.K.
2.) University of Pennsylvania: Wharton U.S.A
3.) Harvard Business School U.S.A.
4.) Stanford University GSB U.S.A.
5.) Insead France / Singapore
6.) Columbia Business School U.S.A.
7.) IE Business SchoolFeatured business school Spain
8.) MIT Sloan School of Management U.S.A.
9.) University of Chicago: Booth U.S.A.
10.) Hong Kong UST Business School China
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance , Banking, Economics
Schools:Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
 Q34  V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Dear Sonai,

My exam is just 15 days away from now. I am very sorry for your experience, but looking at your post, your study plan seems very similar to mine. From your own experience can you please give me any advice about what I should watch out for and what I should pay extra attention to within just 2 weeks?

My practice scores have been 370,440,360 and most recently a 500.
Manager
Manager
 Q34  V20
Send PM
Sednima wrote:
Dear Sonai,

My exam is just 15 days away from now. I am very sorry for your experience, but looking at your post, your study plan seems very similar to mine. From your own experience can you please give me any advice about what I should watch out for and what I should pay extra attention to within just 2 weeks?

My practice scores have been 370,440,360 and most recently a 500.

Hey,
There are lots of good people (Bunuel,Walker etc... ) who have scored very high score.I'm very much sure they would be happy to help you.

What I can say Sednima;
1.You focus on your Quant parts.In Quant we can score high.
2.Revise your quant and error logs.
3.Verbal part revise SC and CR rule.Try to find out wrong answer choice not correct one(I've made that mistake).for RC,there is no quick strategy.
4.Go to test center with +ve attitude and please focus on only questions.
I believe,you're the only person, you can evaluate your self at this time about your study.

Be happy,feel happy.:)

All the best!!!!!! you will get it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance , Banking, Economics
Schools:Waaayyy....in the future - Booth!!
 Q34  V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks!! You are a really nice person. And I know you will succeed too!!!
All the best!! :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts