Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
 Q48  V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Re: GMAT retake - some help needed [#permalink]
Rishiraj and VictoryMBA, thanks for your inputs.

Rishiraj, I do have the discipline but I get stuck on a few verbal concepts like grammar(I am not a native speaker). I am improving my Verbal skills by the list provided here by bb on fiction read :-D . Hope that helps me. I think I will go with powerscore for CR.
But, I’m still wondering if Veritas will be a better option for the rest as compared to MGMAT. RC 99 is a new book that I’m hearing now. Will check it out. I used Kaplan too, for my last attempt and found the questions to be non-GMAT type, but ok for practice.

VictoryMBA, Exactly the same thing was told to me by a couple of friends - most prep companies only read out what is in their books. One plus is ,however, we get disciplined and motivated to study better by taking a class. Anyway, I think I’m going to stick to self study this time too.

I'm still wondering though, what strategy guides are better for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I think the books in the "GMAT Fiction" forum should be of help in improving the comprehension level and the familiarity with myraid areas.
I agree with rishiraj, you may want to get the MGMAT books for Maths. I have heard that they're really worth buying . I used RC99 and can vouch that it is the best book . The only drawback I see with the book is that it doesn't provide you strategies for RC. So for that, you may go through the strategies on RC forum, and then practice the passages from there.
heygirl wrote:
Rishiraj and VictoryMBA, thanks for your inputs.

Rishiraj, I do have the discipline but I get stuck on a few verbal concepts like grammar(I am not a native speaker). I am improving my Verbal skills by the list provided here by bb on fiction read :-D . Hope that helps me. I think I will go with powerscore for CR.
But, I’m still wondering if Veritas will be a better option for the rest as compared to MGMAT. RC 99 is a new book that I’m hearing now. Will check it out. I used Kaplan too, for my last attempt and found the questions to be non-GMAT type, but ok for practice.

VictoryMBA, Exactly the same thing was told to me by a couple of friends - most prep companies only read out what is in their books. One plus is ,however, we get disciplined and motivated to study better by taking a class. Anyway, I think I’m going to stick to self study this time too.

I'm still wondering though, what strategy guides are better for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
shovitdhar, thanks for your inputs.

I'm going to order a couple of books from GMAT fiction and start reading. I think within a month's time I can expect to see some improvement, isn't it; assuming that I read regularly? I have ordered the MGMAT Quant books. In my last attempt, I only vaguely went through number properties book. So, obviously, it did not help me. RC 99 is also something that I'm going to consider buying after a few weeks.
kudos +1

shovitdhar wrote:
I think the books in the "GMAT Fiction" forum should be of help in improving the comprehension level and the familiarity with myraid areas.
I agree with rishiraj, you may want to get the MGMAT books for Maths. I have heard that they're really worth buying . I used RC99 and can vouch that it is the best book . The only drawback I see with the book is that it doesn't provide you strategies for RC. So for that, you may go through the strategies on RC forum, and then practice the passages from there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Hello again,

After some planning, I have framed a GMAT strategy for myself. My test is somewhere in the middle of March 2011.
Following is the outline:

Week 1:Get familiar with GMAT Quant/MGMAT Strategy Guide 1
Week 2:Continue with Quant. Go through other MGMAT guides
Week 3:Again,MGMAT Quant guides and problem solving from OG
Week 4:Start CR strategy using Powerscore CR and/or MGMAT CR guide
Week 5:Develop Strategy for RC and go through some passages
Week 6:Dive into MGMAT SC guides and problems
Week 7:Work on Verbal problem sovling
Week8:Take many practise CATs and review weaknesses/error logs/strengths

In addition to this, I plan to spend 30 mins daily on RC,fiction/non-fiction material, and 30 mins on some basic grammar stuff(I have picked up a basic book from my library). I want to make sure that I gradually move up the curve on VErbal(I know that I am weak!!)

Please post your inputs. I will be more than happy to read your posts.
Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I believe you have a sound selection of books but instead of seperating your weeks based on different GMAT parts (RC,CR,Quantitative etc.), you may wish to include part of each subject to each week so that you can develop in all parts simultaneously. This could enable you to make most out of your practice CATs. Also, I believe it will be better to start taking CATs as early as possible (i.e. in 3rd or 4th week) so that you get familiar with your exam-specific weakness in case you have any. (i.e. any pace problem on any specific part) This way, you will have enough time to improve yourself. Hope this helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Astalaa,Thank you for your inputs. I think that's a good suggestion - to incorporate parts of differnt sections in parallel. Will re-work my plan :)

More Inputs, welcome :-D
GMAT Club Bot