Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Ross(IN–full$)
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Investment Bank
WE 2: Company in NYC
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
Maybe the consortium had some better marketing last year and attracted more applicants. Most people I speak to who are in/done with/applying to b-school have never heard of CGSM.

I REALLY don't think I would get to keep that scholarship money if I was also offered full tuition. After all, the money for the consortium fellowship doesn't come from the consortium, it comes from the school. The school just agrees to award it to cgsm ppl. If they did let me keep both that would be super sweet. But either way, Tepper is ranked 6th on my app, so I can only hope that one of the higher ranked schools will offer me a fellowship. Like for example!!!

Originally posted by kegewe on 21 Dec 2010, 13:58.
Last edited by kegewe on 16 Feb 2011, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
kegewe wrote:
Maybe the consortium had some better marketing last year and attracted more applicants. Most people I speak to who are in/done with/applying to b-school have never heard of CGSM.

Curious. I hadn't heard of it either, until my brother, who's applying next year, mentioned it to me. Perhaps the problem is simply that we were amongst the few to submit early. Most of the ppl I met at the various diversity weekends are submitting round 2. I expect more activity after the 5th.

I REALLY don't think I would get to keep that scholarship money if I was also offered full tuition. After all, the money for the consortium fellowship doesn't come from the consortium, it comes from the school. The school just agrees to award it to cgsm ppl. If they did let me keep both that would be super sweet. But either way, Tepper is ranked 6th on my app, so I can only hope that one of the higher ranked schools will offer me a fellowship. Like TUCK for example!!!

Kegewe--Hopefully you'll gain admission to the program of your choice, but if not, you may luck out with financing. During my visits, both Yale and UNC confirmed that they offer Consortium fellowships + to students they are most interested in. Perhaps Tepper will do likewise.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
tigerbait wrote:
Congrats on your acceptances. I took your suggestion and accessed my Tuck profile (the only school i'm particularly interested in). Good thinking. It mentioned that my transcripts were missing, which I found odd, though the status reads complete.

Any thoughts regarding why this page is so inactive? I know that more people applied to the Consortium's first round, and as we are dealing with different dates than the conventional candidate, it would be helpful to know whether we're on pace.

Strange. Last year's thread had about 45 pages. This thread is struggling for 7.

True, this thread does seem really slow. I'm applying Rd.2, so on my end there is not much to discuss unfortunately.

I know it differs by school, but ball park, do you think we should start hearing about interview invites about a month after the consortium deadline? I'm applying Jan.5, so maybe in the Feb.10-15 range?
Director
Director
Send PM
What size/type of font are you guys using for the essays?

The directions say no more than two double spaced pages for each core essay, but nothing about font size. I'm having difficulty fitting everything in with Times 12, I'm thinking about going to 11 but not sure if that's pushing it.
VP
VP
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
What size/type of font are you guys using for the essays?

The directions say no more than two double spaced pages for each core essay, but nothing about font size. I'm having difficulty fitting everything in with Times 12, I'm thinking about going to 11 but not sure if that's pushing it.

Times 12. I would recommend not pushing it.

Let's say someone reads 20 essays before yours all in 12. Chances are 11 will be noticed.
VP
VP
Send PM
How long after your interview did it take for your interview to go complete?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
lagomez wrote:

Are you refering to the Consortium interview? I submitted mine in October and it still doesn't register as complete.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Duke (r3), Vanderbilt (admit- Diversity Scholarship) R2 Consortium: Yale (ding), Emory (admit- CGSM fellowship), Michigan (admit), UT Austin (admit), Indiana (admit)
Send PM
shewhomustnotbenamed wrote:
lagomez wrote:

Are you refering to the Consortium interview? I submitted mine in October and it still doesn't register as complete.

I've heard of similar responses, seems like it varies. My interview registered as complete within 3 days of completing the interview, but a friend of mine completed an interview sometime in early November and it still doesn't register that it was completed. I'd probably reach out the Consortium or interviewer to inquire about the status.
Director
Director
Send PM
I did my interview in November, and nearly two weeks later it still showed incomplete. I called the school, and it turned out that my interviewer didn't submit his review. It went complete the very next day. I was told that interviewers are required to submit their reviews within 72 hours, so if it's not showing up you should definitely make some inquiries.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I had my consortium interview and it was pretty bad. However, not on my part but the interviewer. It only lasted 15 minutes, literally. She only asked why MBA, example of leadership and that was it. She didn't even ask me what my committment to the "Mission" was.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
loloswims wrote:
I had my consortium interview and it was pretty bad. However, not on my part but the interviewer. It only lasted 15 minutes, literally. She only asked why MBA, example of leadership and that was it. She didn't even ask me what my committment to the "Mission" was.

I may possibly have you beat.

There is only one Consortium interviewer where i'm based. I scheduled the interview with the person 6 weeks ahead of time because of my work travel schedule. All seemed well. I sent a followup email two weeks beforehand. No reply. I sent a reminder one week ahead of time, followed by voice mail. No reply. I called the week of (on Monday, we were scheduled to meet that Tuesday)...no reply.

At that point, I was about to set out on 3 weeks of nonstop school visits/diversity weekends, and found myself unable to schedule on-campus interviews given the late attempt. So I contacted a number of other interviewers from the list (also on Monday) in the nearest major city--Atlanta. They all agreed to meet on Friday of the same week. As I still hadn't heard from my original interviewer, I confirmed with someone in Atlanta, rented a car, and left for Atlanta Thursday morning. I was 39 miles from my destination when I received a call from an unknown number. It was my initial interviewer, calling to say that she had become "overwhelmed with personal issues" and would reschedule the interview if I wanted her to. I was very polite in thanking her for calling me back-- but there was no way that I would entrust her with my interview at that point.

It's quite fortunate for the Consortium that the person whom I ultimately interviewed with was professional and thorough, but also engaging and helpful; otherwise, I would've seriously reconsidered whether I wanted to be affiliated with the organization given my initial experience.
VP
VP
Send PM
shewhomustnotbenamed wrote:
loloswims wrote:

I may possibly have you beat.

There is only one Consortium interviewer where i'm based. I scheduled the interview with the person 6 weeks ahead of time because of my work travel schedule. All seemed well. I sent a followup email two weeks beforehand. No reply. I sent a reminder one week ahead of time, followed by voice mail. No reply. I called the week of (on Monday, we were scheduled to meet that Tuesday)...no reply.

At that point, I was about to set out on 3 weeks of nonstop school visits/diversity weekends, and found myself unable to schedule on-campus interviews given the late attempt. So I contacted a number of other interviewers from the list (also on Monday) in the nearest major city--Atlanta. They all agreed to meet on Friday of the same week. As I still hadn't heard from my original interviewer, I confirmed with someone in Atlanta, rented a car, and left for Atlanta Thursday morning. I was 39 miles from my destination when I received a call from an unknown number. It was my initial interviewer, calling to say that she had become "overwhelmed with personal issues" and would reschedule the interview if I wanted her to. I was very polite in thanking her for calling me back-- but there was no way that I would entrust her with my interview at that point.

It's quite fortunate for the Consortium that the person whom I ultimately interviewed with was professional and thorough, but also engaging and helpful; otherwise, I would've seriously reconsidered whether I wanted to be affiliated with the organization given my initial experience.

Are these people forced to sign up to become interviewers? I never got a response after contacting many alumni. I ended up scheduling with a member school and the interviewer was very nice, very engaging, very professional. I would highly recommend interviewing with a consortium school if possible. As for the people who say they believe in the mission, well that's another story. If ten people is a decent sample (of both interviewers and acquaintances) of the Consortium's mission, then it's hard for me to see so many people not care about the mission.
VP
VP
Send PM
loloswims wrote:

15 minutes? Wow!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Don't get me wrong. My interviewer was very nice. I actually think she had some other issues going on and simply wanted to have it over and done with.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
loloswims wrote:

15 minutes? Wow!

Yes, I'll give her 17 minutes. Either way it was way too brief. I felt somewhat robbed.
VP
VP
Send PM
loloswims wrote:
lagomez wrote:
loloswims wrote:

15 minutes? Wow!

Yes, I'll give her 17 minutes. Either way it was way too brief. I felt somewhat robbed.

Can you request another interview from someone else? If that is an option for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[/quote] Are these people forced to sign up to become interviewers? I never got a response after contacting many alumni. I ended up scheduling with a member school and the interviewer was very nice, very engaging, very professional. I would highly recommend interviewing with a consortium school if possible. As for the people who say they believe in the mission, well that's another story. If ten people is a decent sample (of both interviewers and acquaintances) of the Consortium's mission, then it's hard for me to see so many people not care about the mission.[/quote]

They volunteer. My interviewer and I spoke quite a while post interview. He gave me a lot of really useful application tips and offered to help at any point in the process. He was also very candid in stating that he wished the Consortium compelled to members to contribute in some way post business school. Interviewing is his way of giving back since there doesn't seem to be a medchanism in place for individual financial contributions.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  132   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts