Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: MGMAT RC book? [#permalink]
I think it's a waste of paper. I did worse after reading this book...My RC question accuracy went down dramatically. I spent so much time trying to do their strategies that I actually understood less of the passage. I think it would be helpful for someone who is not a native speaker or for passages with very difficult wording.

However, I am very fast reader and did not have problems in the RC area to begin with. I was only trying to further improve my accuracy. I do think that the CR book was very helpful, however.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It was the only RC book on the market for a long time. Now there is a Veritas RC book. There is also a chapter/section in the Kaplan verbal but other than that, not a whole lot of GMAT RC resources...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I have always found RC to be a problem area. Even after doing all the strategies from different books (I did Kaplan & Manhattan) it still was not translating into correct answers. Then a fellow member suggested I try doing more practice passages.

Have been doing 3 passages everyday for the last one week and must say if nothing else at least my confidence level has improved. I don't get scared when I see a long unfamiliar pasage anymore. Hopefully the accuracy will also go up too :roll:

Quote:
I plan to move to RC 99 after finishing this book.

+1. This is the book I am using. I do 1 easy, 1 medium and 1 difficult passage everyday. Good practice resource.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
foofighter5 wrote:
I have always found RC to be a problem area. Even after doing all the strategies from different books (I did Kaplan & Manhattan) it still was not translating into correct answers. Then a fellow member suggested I try doing more practice passages.

I agree with the last sentence. I found that lots of RC practice was good preparation. LSAT RC passages are especially beneficial, as they are longer and generally more complex.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
bb,foofighter and bmillan - thanks for your inputs!
For me, RC was my worst performance on my REAL GMAT last time. It completely got me and that's how I landed a 490!
so,I'm going to go through the MGMAT RC book - anyway,I have purchases it - and then do RC passages from RC 99. I have 2.5 months to go :P

EDIT:Kudos +1 to each of you :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
I recently took the GMAT and I firmly believe that there's ONE strategy that'll guarantee accuracy in answering questions - reading the passage thoroughly. Reading the passage point by point so you understand the flow of events, author's opinions, counter-reactive opinions, any changes in structure etc will definitely help you answer the questions. Trying to remember countless strategies is definitely not the way to go. You can, however, apply the strategies learnt in the CR section to RC questions by means of elimination of extravagant answer choices and so on.

The MGMAT RC and CR book are both too strategy/rule oriented for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
The MGMAT RC and CR book are both too strategy/rule oriented for me.
Exactly! I too had the same feel on the book. Anyway,I'm completing reading it now because I have it. When I get to solving some GMAT problems,I"ll know if I am able to apply the rules or not. I found Powerscore CR to be a great book so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
After reading the first 2 chapters of the MGMAT CR guide - I feel like you can translate some of the CR learnings into RC.

Diagramming is a really good technique on CR - and I couldn't imagine it being any different for RC. The trick to RC is "active reading". For some people, RC is very natural, and for others it's more difficult. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Give the Diagramming Technique a go, and see how you go :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 314 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools:ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Send PM
In contrary in Verbal My strong point is accuracy in RC in practice tests, almost 90%.
I have never followed MGMAT or Powerscore RC guide, I have gone through GMAT club RC strategies & practice.

For CR, my recommendation is definitely Powerscore CR Bible
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
If you are not a native English speaker and dont naturally have good success rate in RCs, following the strategies usually helps, at least in the beginning. Later on, you might start to follow the strategies in your mind only, not on paper. Also, nothing can beat a natural talent. If you have time, go for gmat fiction books in the forums.

All the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Kudos
MackyCee wrote:
After reading the first 2 chapters of the MGMAT CR guide - I feel like you can translate some of the CR learnings into RC.

Diagramming is a really good technique on CR - and I couldn't imagine it being any different for RC. The trick to RC is "active reading". For some people, RC is very natural, and for others it's more difficult. Practice, Practice, Practice!

Give the Diagramming Technique a go, and see how you go :)

MackyCee, +1 to you. Thanks. Yes, the diagramming technique of CR does work pretty well for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
subhabrata1986 wrote:
+1. For CR, my recommendation is definitely Powerscore CR Bible
The book just arrived in mail yesterday and I am already in love with it (I just glanced through it)

Originally posted by heygirl on 05 Jan 2011, 08:23.
Last edited by heygirl on 05 Jan 2011, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
jagveerbrar wrote:
If you are not a native English speaker and dont naturally have good success rate in RCs, following the strategies usually helps, at least in the beginning. Later on, you might start to follow the strategies in your mind only, not on paper. Also, nothing can beat a natural talent. If you have time, go for gmat fiction books in the forums.

All the best.

+1. Yes, I am already doing GMAT fiction. I can understand the passages well but when it comes to answering questions, I get stumped!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
jagveerbrar wrote:

All the best.

+1. Yes, I am already doing GMAT fiction. I can understand the passages well but when it comes to answering questions, I get stumped!

You might be paying too much attention to each and every detail of the passage, including the facts. GMAT rarely asks questions based upon precise details of the passage. Regarding facts, its more important to understand why a certain fact is stated in the passage than to remember the details of the fact. For eg, you may see questions such as "The author alludes to xyz in order to:".
Try to focus on the flow of the passage, assumptions, conclusions, author's intent etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
jagveerbrar wrote:
Try to focus on the flow of the passage, assumptions, conclusions, author's intent etc.

I know! I need to start working on this .
GMAT Club Bot