Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Help about Toefl [#permalink]
Dear friends,
I am writing this message regarding Toefl iBT, and i am sure after reading this message u would like to guide me properly.
I have been taking toefl iBT in 2010 and all the times i have been getting almost same marks.

Reading 18
listening 19
Speaking 24
Writing 26
But i need 23 in reading and 25 in listening. Unfortunately during reading session i cant concentrate for a long time. Five long passages and 14 questions each make it more difficult. As far as the listening is concerned ,the lectures and the dialogues are presented in a simple way but the questions are very tricky. It is funny to say sometimes they ask why professor does this... why he burbs, why he breaths etc.lol
This test has been made more memory and less logicable. Even most of the native speakes cant get advance level in this exam. Plz i request u to help me, to make my reading and listening better. I am so frustrated i want to replace it with IELTS.
Raja.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink]
the only thing I'd suggest you is to read and listen English as much as you can. For example, buy The Economist and read it entirely, or rent movies in English. You need to improve your concentration skills, not only for the TOEFL but for the next (GMAT? GRE?).

You are getting high scores in the usually harder sections of the TOEFL, and low scores in the easier ones :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Just starting TOEFL prep [#permalink]
Thank you rid82 for your valuable suggestion. Actually i am a veterinarian from India and residing in USA for last two years. I need toefl iBT for my ECFVG programme. Believe me i have taken the toefl iBT three times and all the times almost same marks. I am trying to improve my listening and reading skills. Would u suggest some reading and listening material ( Books, audio cds). so that i could directly purchase them instead of spending money on some rubbish stuff?
Regards,
Raja.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Terry, Georgia Tech
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.87
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Send PM
Re: Help about Toefl [#permalink]
Kudos
Raja2 wrote:
Dear friends,
I am writing this message regarding Toefl iBT, and i am sure after reading this message u would like to guide me properly.
I have been taking toefl iBT in 2010 and all the times i have been getting almost same marks.

Reading 18
listening 19
Speaking 24
Writing 26
But i need 23 in reading and 25 in listening. Unfortunately during reading session i cant concentrate for a long time. Five long passages and 14 questions each make it more difficult. As far as the listening is concerned ,the lectures and the dialogues are presented in a simple way but the questions are very tricky. It is funny to say sometimes they ask why professor does this... why he burbs, why he breaths etc.lol
This test has been made more memory and less logicable. Even most of the native speakes cant get advance level in this exam. Plz i request u to help me, to make my reading and listening better. I am so frustrated i want to replace it with IELTS.
Raja.

Hi Raja,

Its really an unique problem that is very difficult to assess without actually knowing you in person. I can give you a tip which helped me in my preparations. Pick up the newspaper everyday and go through the editorial section, specially on topics which do not interest you. That way not only will your reading and comprehension skills increase, but I feel it would help you with your patience too which I feel has played a big part in your previous TOEFL attempt. Since you are a doc, I am sure you have huge amounts of patience already! Just utilize it in the first 2 sections of the test.

All the Best!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help about Toefl [#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4379 posts