Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [0]
Send PM
Re: If ab < ac, which is greater b or c ? (1) a < 0 (2) c < 0 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Riju1191 wrote:
If ab<ac , which is greater b or c ?

i. a<0
2. c<0

As you said
Both a or c-b should be +ve or both should be -ve.

Let assume
a= .1 its is a positive
b = .1
c= .2

AB = .1*.1 = 0.01
AC = .1*.2 = 0.02

so ab< ac

In this case
if a < 0 and a is -ve then b>c
but if a<0 and +ve then C>b

So we are not pretty sure.. Again in the question it is not mentioned that a,b,c are integer

I think you are confused with notation: statement (1) says that \(a<0\), which means that \(a\) is negative, so it can not equal to 0.1 or any other non-negative value.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
hi guys .... i am a beginner in prep for GMAT. I left mathematics a very very long ago ... i have a question regarding the problem...

the question itself says

ab < ac ............can't we subtract a from either side straight away which will yield ...

b < c directly from the stem itself. We have answer without any further condition. a could be anything but if ab<ac it has to as per my understanding b<c.

anyone can throw light on it ...?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nbvasavada wrote:
hi guys .... i am a beginner in prep for GMAT. I left mathematics a very very long ago ... i have a question regarding the problem...

the question itself says

ab < ac ............can't we subtract a from either side straight away which will yield ...

b < c directly from the stem itself. We have answer without any further condition. a could be anything but if ab<ac it has to as per my understanding b<c.

anyone can throw light on it ...?

I think you mean divide instead of subtract.

Never multiply or reduce (divide) inequality by an unknown (a variable) unless you are sure of its sign since you do not know whether you must flip the sign of the inequality.

So you can not divided (reduce) \(ab<ac\) by \(a\) and write \(b<c\) because you don't know whether \(a\) is positive or negative: if it's positive then you should write \(b<c\) but if its negative then you should flip the sign and write \(b>c\). Statement (1) says \(a<0\), so when reducing by \(a\) we should flip the sign and write \(b>c\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thanks. Yes its clear.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
(Note: I found two older topics for this question, but they were each over a year old and I assumed there were bump rules here..)

This is from Kaplan CAT3:

If ab < ac, which is greater, b or c?

(1) a < 0

(2) c < 0

Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

I just have one issue with this problem: when I originally did it I tried picking numbers rather than just dividing by -a to get b > c. This is what I got:

(1) If a < 0, then perhaps a = -1. Then if b =3 and c=2, ab < ac and c > b. But if b = -2 and c = -3, ab < ac and b > c.
I'm not finding any rules I'm missing in the problem, so my answer was C.. or E... Why is the above reasoning wrong?

Thanks...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
paldrich1287 wrote:
(Note: I found two older topics for this question, but they were each over a year old and I assumed there were bump rules here..)

(1) a < 0

(2) c < 0

Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

I just have one issue with this problem: when I originally did it I tried picking numbers rather than just dividing by -a to get b > c. This is what I got:

(1) If a < 0, then perhaps a = -1. Then if b =3 and c=2, ab < ac and c > bBut if b = -2 and c = -3, ab < ac and b > c.
I'm not finding any rules I'm missing in the problem, so my answer was C.. or E... Why is the above reasoning wrong?

Thanks...

Above c>b in yellow is incorrect. It is c<b becasue b =3 and c=2. Hence answer is A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
paldrich1287 wrote:

(1) a < 0

(2) c < 0

(1) If a < 0, then perhaps a = -1. Then if b =3 and c=2, ab < ac and c > b. But if b = -2 and c = -3, ab < ac and b > c.

Thanks...

\(ab<ac\) can be rewritten as \(ab-ac<0\) or \(a(b-c)<0\), which means that \(a\) and \(b-c\) have opposite signs.

(1) \(a<0\) then necessarily \(b-c>0.\)
Sufficient.

(2) \(c<0\)
Obviously not sufficient, as we know nothing about \(b.\)

Answer A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Capricorn369 wrote:
Above c>b in yellow is incorrect. It is c<b becasue b =3 and c=2. Hence answer is A.

D'oh! I figured it was something very obvious.. thanks..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Re: If ab < ac, which is greater b or c? 1) a < 0 2) c [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If ab < ac, which is greater b or c? 1) a < 0 2) c [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts